Musings on the Ripples Gremlins

AgentRock

45 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

Those Swine-cursed are going to do an awful lot for our faction. There aren't many Masters that aren't going to get utility out of them. To bad Wong didn't receive an upgrade allowing him to summon them.

That's a good point, but it would have to have one Hell of a soulstone cost.  But their fluff would indicate that he should summon them.

7 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

That's a good point, but it would have to have one Hell of a soulstone cost.  But their fluff would indicate that he should summon them.

Depends on what the material component is, if it required a Bayou Gremlin or Piglet to summon the Swine-Cursed (and only Swine-cursed) it wouldn't need to cost that much. Make it a 0 Action with a suit requirement and it would be even cheaper. Summon them with damage and again it can be reduced. These are the reasons (well aside from the 0 Action part) Som'er's Family Tree Upgrade is so cheap.

sac a piglet and a bayou gremlin get a swine cursed, you choose the mode. Be a fairly easy summon. Throw in some Wong style pulse damage  and extra placement range triggers.

Be mildly amusing if the piglet didn't have to be friendly so you could three demon bag something, then sac the piglet from that.

21 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

Those Swine-cursed are going to do an awful lot for our faction. There aren't many Masters that aren't going to get utility out of them. To bad Wong didn't receive an upgrade allowing him to summon them.

I'm not sure I'd use them in non-Wong crews. They aren't bad but their problem is that they are beaters and cost the same as Burt and Francois who IMO outshine them pretty handsomely. With Ooo Glowy they becomes a lot better and worth taking but without it they aren't all that IMO. I dunno, they seem to be very difficult to balance properly due to Ooo Glowy giving them such a big boost - were they better they'd be crazy with Wong.

I do like their dual nature giving lots of options for buffs in the Gremlin faction. And I certainly might be overlooking something - I'll certainly get them once they are released and test them outside of Wong as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I do like their dual nature giving lots of options for buffs in the Gremlin faction.

I'm trying to think what could really make use of this - all I can think of right now is Trixie being able to both push & pull them as needed, but otherwise I'm not coming up with too much, especially not much that benefits solely from the Gremlin keyword and doesn't also trigger off Pig.

Just now, Dogmantra said:

I'm trying to think what could really make use of this - all I can think of right now is Trixie being able to both push & pull them as needed, but otherwise I'm not coming up with too much, especially not much that benefits solely from the Gremlin keyword and doesn't also trigger off Pig.

Mah's Do It Right! and Hog Whisperer's Reactivate were the main ones that popped in my head that I wanted to try.

• Like 3

OK, I had a chance to look at the book. My musings!

Zipp looks fun and different. Doesn't seem OP but certainly has his place. That's some massive drawback on Grab a Rope, though! 

Earl Burns looks good as well.

First Mate - well, compared to a Silurid he certainly gets a lot for those two SS. But he is very specialized and a bit weird. The "obvious" combo of Croak for Slow and Push and Pounce and Paralyze and Swallow looks very impractical but probably worth an Achievement in a League :P But really, he seems loaded with a lot of somewhat random-seeming abilities that look like they're building towards something but really aren't. Still, compared to a Silurid... Has to be experienced on the table to properly assess.

Loading him up with the Scheme Marker removal thingies and then going against Titania must be a weird experience. "Look, I have Armor +6!"

Iron Skeeter looks like it's positively oozing with possibilities. Ferrying Pere (while loading him up to explode even more!) or Trixie or some such is the most obvious but they are just ridiculously versatile. As they should be since they are competing in the Rooster Rider price point. Amusingly enough they are slower than Roosters, though.

Akaname seem pointless as Gremlins. It looks like they wanted to make more TT models but couldn't fit them so made one a "Gremlin". They seem fun enough for TT in general. I'm not sure I'd use them in Gremlins even if going Brewie, though. Love how they look, however. And there's some clever design there. Sad! :( 

Banjonista have the unfortunate condition of costing 5SS so competing with Slop Haulers and Lightning Bugs. Still, they look fun and might very well have their place. And interesting set of stuff though I wish they had Bayou Two-card.

Swine-Cursed. As I said before, not quite convinced of these outside of Wong but will test them. I do like the design. And their heal goes well with Hog Whisperer Reactivate.

I wish that Zipp's Limited Upgrades had been a bit more different. They could've offered distinctive playstyles. Still, I guess that the choice between them isn't obvious so that's at least nice.

Treasure Map looks pretty useless.

Drop the Pianos is very scary - with Fast from Sparks that's like an Austriger on steroids.

I share Omenbringer's concern about Poorly Handled Explosives and Pere. 8 damage on death! That's pretty damn crazy. Sure, you can SS or Armor it away twice but OTOH it ignores all Triggers and Incorporeal and HtW and goes through HtK in a fashion. Crazy! And the Upgrade is really good aside from the nuclear Pere as well!

Spotlight is resisted with Wk which is fun. Still, the least scary of the Sky Pirate Upgrades (I don't even count Treasure Map) but still nice. I could see First Mate using this one, actually. Leap, remove cover, have a iSkeeter go to town with Pianos. (Actually, now that I think about it, I guess that Menacing Croak can also remove cover pretty well most of the time).

Barrel Up - Whiskey Golem still isn't all that super but I can see myself using him with that.

One Pig with Ooo Glowy is going to be a scary, scary thing. Spark giving it Fast would be sweet. Rare 3 is a bit silly, though :D:D 

Pork Whisper'n makes Hog Whisperers a little less useful but I suppose I'll live. The 8" Push can be used to set up scary things.

Do Over is better than using SS for cards so I guess it has its place. The re-randomization seems a bit niche, though. Not sure I like the design here, tbh.

• Like 1

I agree with your critic of Zipp's limited upgrades, they really don't offer that much in terms of differing play styles. Primarily you are just chosing whether you want to use Soul Stones or Control Cards to remove Conditions.

I also agree with your assessment of the Iron Skeeters, they do so much both in and out of Zipp's crew.

6 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Som'er's Encouragement is Gremlin only.

played a practice 35 pointer with most of zipps box plus burt today minus one iron skeeter. Practicing for a fixed list speed tourney  so I couldn't change things around.

Zipp didn't do much beside setting up little bunkers and surviving assassinate. Not really his fault, my hands ranged from hot garbage to luke warm garbage the entire time. smoke bunkers are great. Forgot the insignificant master bit so I lost a point early.

The First Mate was gold. Pretty much because he channeled every good card near the top of my deck into his flips. Hopped on top of Raspy top of turn 2 and ate up all her ap the rest of the game. Never got to eat a scheme marker. He had both his upgrade and treasure map.

Earl was pretty sad the whole game. My garbage hands just kinda kept him sitting there doing nothing but being a significant minion.

Iron skeeters were good, pushed things, slowed things, killed a bit. Dropped many pianos. Got the haul a fast burt up the board thing going. Flipped almost as good as the first mate on defense so they both lived. Unlike poor Burt.

Might drop Earl for old cranky and Burt for the Pere bomb combo. 35 stone fixed list is kinda obnoxious

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Wyrmfist said:

Anyone have any luck using Rambling Diatribe on their own crew?  Sure, you reveal your hand, but maybe replace some crap cards and set Earl up with that sometimes elusive scrap marker.

I've used it effectively once. I haven't decided if it's worth it to bring all the time. I figure anytime it's worth it to bring Sammy, and let her use it. 

On 8/17/2016 at 9:41 PM, Math Mathonwy said:

I'm not sure I'd use them in non-Wong crews. They aren't bad but their problem is that they are beaters and cost the same as Burt and Francois who IMO outshine them pretty handsomely. With Ooo Glowy they becomes a lot better and worth taking but without it they aren't all that IMO.

Yeah - without "Ooo Glowy", the Magical condition can be permanently removed from them, so they have a much safer space in a Wong crew.  I know there's not buckets of condition removal out there, but with Johan available to everyone (and fairly popular, right?), it could be a thing.