Fingers is pretty boss

Math Mathonwy

I don't see much praise for Fingers but I find him constantly very, very powerful. Sure, he is very expensive and sure, his own Actions aren't all that but Chatty on a super mobile platform (3 AP and Wk 6) is absolutely huge. And Don't Mind Me is massive as well. So yeah, I mostly use his AP to Interact or to put on Defensive Stance.

Loudest Squeel on both Wp and Df means that he is insanely durable since he self heals. And you can even use it to get to places when needed (you can, for example, Obey him with Zoraida and then use a low Mask for his Wp to get a Prompt-style effect). With Do It Like Dis for Masks you can move him vast distances if needed.

So yeah, when I take Fingers he always nets me 3 VP but often more. Many Schemes are completely trivial with him the chief among them Explosives and Charges -style Schemes. But also Exhaust and Distract and such.

But that's not even his main strength.

Because the more I play, the more I think that winning is highly about denying your opponent VP. Because I feel that in general it is pretty easy to earn VP in Malifaux. GG2016 made it a bit more difficult to get to 10 but still, in order to win you need to deny your opponent. And Chatty in a 6" Aura is absolutely huge. All in all Fingers messes up Scheme Marker Schemes but, and perhaps more importantly, he also messes up Squatter's Rights and Headhunter.

Now, since he only has a 30mm base, your opponent can block him off with other models so be wary of that. And his durability is a bit weird and he can die to concentrated stuff and Focus is his enemy but I have rarely lost him.

Oh, and he doesn't need any support. Sure, he has some synergy with Brewmaster but for the most part I don't think that his Poison is worth it. You can ignore it pretty safely. So feel free to use him with whomever.

Switching Scheme Markers is of course absolutely bonkers but unless you're up against a force which randomly poops out Scheme Markers it most likely just means that the opponent won't be putting down Scheme Markers. Which is great! You can spend those AP to move from place to place, heal stuff or take Defensive Stance. His Heal isn't very special but since you can do it three times in a row it can add up in some situations.

And finally, though he is expensive, he doesn't need any Upgrades so the difference to some of the other Henchmen isn't as pronounced as it may look. Though sometimes I do give him Hide in the Mud if I need his Chatty Aura out in the open.

So yeah. Fingers is pretty boss.

• Like 9

I've found a lot of the consensus to be off on models that people don't like. Fingers is actually one of the models I'm most excited about it that box when I finally get it. Mah, and Zipp have a higher priority though but if I stumble upon the right price it has a habit of changing what I get next.

15 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Because the more I play, the more I think that winning is highly about denying your opponent VP. Because I feel that in general it is pretty easy to earn VP in Malifaux. GG2016 made it a bit more difficult to get to 10 but still, in order to win you need to deny your opponent.

I have often suggested to play the game by preserving the tie and then working toward the win. A large part of that strategy is denying your opponents easy VP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clement said:

That's a great trick with Zoraida, I'd never considered that before.

I'll just use this one to launch into something here:

Loudest Squeel is one of the most powerful defensive Triggers in the game. You can get Fingers out of engagement by just targeting him with something and defending with a Mask. It can also be used to traverse Severe terrain since it's a Push.

Be wary of getting cornered, though. A canny opponent can box you in if you get close to terrain that you can't Push through. Often it only takes one extra enemy model if there is terrain around. Which, incidentally, is also why Hide in the Mud can work nicely for him as then you can hang out in the open a bit better. But the problem of course is that Focus takes away the bonus plus it tends to do more damage so Fingers really doesn't like it. So Hide isn't a panache but can be worth considering depending on terrain and opposing Faction (less useful against Ressers and Neverborn, in general).

• Like 1

Boxed sets are the only official way. They don't package the non-minion models in the boxed sets for separate sale. So you can look on Ebay or on the forums here and hope to get lucky. Additionally, you could go to Gadzooks Gaming, they sell the models separately, but they are priced at a premium price so if you ever plan to use the models in the box its not a bad idea to just go that route. 

Well Fingers is probably cheaper as a single - Trixiebelle is the most sought after model in faction in a box no one seems to want. But honestly I'd probably pick up Brewie's box too if you want him. Moon Shinobis are super fun, one of my favourite models in faction. It's hilarious to watch your opponent try to wrap their head around the fact that all :+fates are :-fates and vice versa.

Lol. I'm just starting. Seems my Gremlins are starting to out number the wife's Outcasts. She's running Viks. I'm a figure pig so I'll probably get all the gremlin box set to get specific figure. Some are just because they loo cool. Old Cranky was in that category until I read what he could do. With Somer  or any other master.  I just have to keep it competitive other wise she'll get bored and not want to play. Right now it's a learning the game thing. With some luck I'd like to take it further. 

Fingers is insanely strong when schemes are about interact action.

The poison mechanics - imo - is totally useless (also with brewmaster most of the cases) because if I hire him (only twice so far) is only to do schemes / deny schemes.

It brings also heal to the team and - with extreme mobility - is huge.

I definitively think is one (or probably the) best scheme model in the game.