Friendly Bayou Investigations - A Crew Box What I Made

Dogmantra

McAllister, Gremlin Detective, head and only employee of Friendly Bayou Investigations. He's a tough nut to crack and a tougher cookie to crumble. He won't sleep until all crime is eradicated. He's not entirely sure what crime is, but he knows it's bad. The master of the box, he comes without a totem because he works alone.

Spoiler

McALLISTER - Cache 3
Master, Living
GREMLIN, DETECTIVE

Df    Wp  Wd  Wk  Cg  Ht
4:mask   7    10    6     -    2

=====ABILITIES=====

Chalk Outlines: When a living or undead model is killed by this model, this model may place a friendly scheme marker in base contact before the killed model is removed from play. The killed model does not drop a corpse marker.

I Work Alone: When this model activates, if there are no friendly totems in play, it may draw a card and gain Focused +1.

The Butler Did It: When this model is killed, before removing it from play, it may take a 0 or 1 AP action with a + to any duels resulting from the action.

Above the Law: Enemy models may not take actions during this model's activation.

Df/Wp (:mask) Blocked By The Book: Reduce damage suffered as a result of this action by +1 per :mask in the final duel total, to a minimum of 1.

=====ATTACK ACTIONS=====

(1) Cigarette Jab (Ml4 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1) Target gains Burning +2
    :ramLight Up Another: After Succeeding, take this action again against the same target.

(1) Revolver (Sh6:mask / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged12) Target suffers 2/3/5 damage.
    :ramCritical Strike: Increase damage dealt by +1 for each Ram in the final duel total.
    :maskBlood... it's evidence!: Target gains the following condition until the end of the turn "Under Suspicion: Detective models gain +1 Ml, Sh and Ca to attacks that target this model."

(1) Expert Witness (Ca6 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 5) This action can target buried models regardless of range and LoS. Target gains "Incarcerated +1: When a model gains this condition it is immediately buried. While a model has this condition it cannot be unburied. At the end of the turn reduce this condition's value by 1. When this condition's value reaches 0, end this condition. When this condition ends, this model unburies in base contact with a friendly model." This action may only be taken once per activation.
    :maskOverwhelming Evidence: Discard a scheme marker within 3" to give the target an additional Incarcerated +1

=====TACTICAL ACTIONS=====

(0) "Borrowed" Evidence: Discard up to 2 scheme markers within :pulse3. Draw a card for each marker discarded in this way.

(0) Five Shots Or Six?: Flip a card which may not be cheated. If it is a :ram, :mask or Red Joker, this model may immediately make a 1 AP Sh attack with a :+fate to the attack flip.

Spoiler

=====UPGRADES=====

Consulting Detective (1SS)
McAllister

This model gains the following tactical action

(1) Whodunnit? (Ca 5 / TN: 11 / Rg :pulse5) Flip a card for every enemy model in range which may not be cheated. The model with the lowest card suffers an effect based on the suit.

• :ram: This model may make a 1 AP Sh attack with a :+fate against the model, ignoring engagement.
  • :mask: Push the model 4" towards a friendly model.
  • :tome: The model gains Slow.
  • :crow: The model gains Poison +2
  • Joker: The model gains "Incarcerated +2: When a model gains this condition it is immediately buried. While a model has this condition it cannot be unburied. At the end of the turn reduce this condition's value by 1. When this condition's value reaches 0, end this condition. When this condition ends, this model unburies in base contact with a friendly model."

====================

Plot Armour (2ss)
Limited, McAllister

This model's Df and Wp gain +M

This model gains the following ability:

I Was Wearing A Bulletproof Vest The Whole Time: When suffering damage, this model may discard this upgrade to reduce the damage to 0.

====================

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions (2SS)
Limited, McAllister

This model's Revolver attack action replaces its damage track with the following: 2/4:blast/5:blast and gains the following trigger:
    :maskSlowly Walk Away: After succeeding, push this model 3" in any direction.

This model gains the following ability
Blast Resistant +1: When suffering damage from a :pulse or :blast effect, this model reduces damage suffered by 1, to a minimum of 1.

====================

Sidekick (1ss)
McAllister

All friendly models in play lose the I Work Alone ability and gain the following abilities:

Dynamic Duo: Whenever a friendly Master or Totem activates, draw a card.

Fall Guy: When a friendly Totem is killed or sacrificed, you may discard two cards or a soulstone to discard this upgrade.

The Constable is your friendly neighbourhood police officer. He's a big gremlin with a medium hat and a propensity for offering you a nice cuppa tea.

Spoiler

The Constable - Cost 8 - Cache 5
Henchman, Living, Rare 1
GREMLIN, DETECTIVE

Df  Wp  Wd  Wk  Cg   Ht
 5    6    10    5    7    2

=====ABILITIES=====

Manipulative 12: When this model has not yet activated this turn and an enemy model targets this model with an attack action, the enemy model must succeed on a TN12 Wp duel or the action immediately fails.

Last Day On The Force: When this model is killed or sacrificed, you may attach one of the upgrades attached to this model to a friendly Enforcer or Henchman, ignoring restrictions.

=====ATTACK ACTIONS=====
(1) Reasonable Force (Ml5 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1) Target takes 2/2/3 damage.

(1) "Cuppa Tea?" (Ca7 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 6 or :melee1) Target model gains Slow and makes a 1/2/3 healing flip.
    :tomeGood Cop: After succeeding, a friendly Maverick may immediately take a 1 AP Ml action against the same target.

:crow:tomeIt's Decaf: After succeeding, target model gains Paralyze instead of Slow

(2) "You're Nicked!" (Ca6 / TN: 12 / Rst: Wk / Rg: 6) Remove the Incarcerated condition from all models. Target model with the Slow or Paralyze condition removes it and gains the following condition "Incarcerated +2: When a model gains this condition it is immediately buried. While a model has this condition it cannot be unburied. At the end of the turn reduce this condition's value by 1. When this condition's value reaches 0, end this condition. When this condition ends, this model unburies in base contact with a friendly model."
    :maskOverwhelming Evidence: Discard a scheme marker within 3" to give the target an additional Incarcerated +1.

Spoiler

=====UPGRADES=====

Sizeable Hat (1SS)
The Constable

This model gains the following Attack Action:
(1) Move Along (Ca6:mask / TN: 14:mask / Rst: Wp / Rg: 6) Target takes a Walk action controlled by this model's controller.
    :mask:tomeJust One Little Thing: Target may take a (1) Interact action instead.

====================

Shiny Badge (1SS)
The Constable

This model gains the following Ability:
Keep Calm And Carry On: Friendly models that activate within :aura3 of this model are immune to Wp duels during their activation.

====================

Unused Service Pistol (1SS)
The Constable

This model gains the following Attack Action:

(1) Rubber Bullets (Sh5 / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged10) Target takes 1/2/2 damage and receives the following condition until the end of its next activation "Staggered: This model may not take more than one Walk action per activation."
    :crowReal Bullets... Honest Mistake: Target takes 4/5/6 damage instead. Then discard the Unused Service Pistol upgrade.

Maverick is a maverick who doesn't play by the rules. He's also a piglet with a little police hat, and to be honest there should be more pigs with hats in Malifaux.

Spoiler

Maverick - Cost 6
Enforcer, Rare 1
BEAST, PIG, DETECTIVE

Df  Wp Wd Wk Cg  Ht
 5   4    7    4    7    1

=====ABILITIES=====

Relentless: This model is immune to Wp duels during its activation.

Pigcharge: This model may take the Charge action as a (1) Action

Doesn't Play By The Rules: When this model has the opportunity to declare an action, unless it is engaged or within :aura3 of a friendly Master, or Gremlin with a higher soulstone cost, it must declare a charge action.

=====ATTACK ACTIONS=====
(1) A Bite Out Of Crime (Ml6 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1) Target takes 2/3/4 damage. This action must declare a trigger if able.
    :ramBad Cop: After succeeding, this attack deals +1 damage, and a friendly The Constable may take a 1 AP Ca action against the same target.

:tomeCaught in the Act: After succeeding, end this model's activation.

(0) Confiscated Truffles (Ca4 / TN: 12 / Rg: 8) Target friendly Gremlin is pushed up to its Wk towards this model.

Spoiler

=====UPGRADES=====
On The Force (1SS)
Maverick

This model gains the following abilities:
Vaguely Loyal: When this model is killed or sacrificed, it may discard a card to place a scheme marker in base contact before being removed from play.

But They're Already In The Cell: At the begining of this model's activation, it may discard this upgrade. If it does, for the rest of this model's activation, it may target buried models with actions regardless of range and LoS. It gains :+fate:+fate to attack flips made against buried models. At the end of this model's activation, summon a piglet in base contact with this model, and then sacrifice this model. The summoned piglet takes 3 damage which cannot be reduced.

Informants are the minion in the box. They're little gremlin spies :3

Spoiler

Informant - Cost 4
Minion, Mercenary
GREMLIN, DETECTIVE

Df  Wp  Wd  Wk  Cg  Ht
 5    5    5     5    5    1

=====ABILITIES=====

NOT A GREMLIN SPY: For the purposes of Actions and Abilities, this model may choose to count as not having the Gremlin characteristic.

"I Don't Even Know These Guys!": This model counts as friendly to the enemy crew and an enemy to its own crew for the purposes of aura and pulse effects.

Newspaper With Eyeholes: If this model has not activated this turn, it may not be the target of a Charge action.

=====ATTACK ACTIONS=====
(1) Hidden Knife (Ml5 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1) Target takes 1/2/4 damage. The damage flip gains :+fate against enemies that have not activated this turn.
    :ramCritical Strike: This action deals +1 damage per Ram in the final duel total.
    :crowStabbed in the Back: This action ignores Armour and Hard to Wound.

(1) Service Pistol (Sh4 / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged10) Target takes 1/2/4 damage.

(0) Disguise Kit: This model loses all characteristics not printed on its stat card and removes all conditions that grant characteristics. Choose a non-station characteristic belonging to a model within 4". This model gains that characteristic until the end of the game.

(1) Dead Drop: Discard a card to place a scheme marker in base contact with this model. This marker may not be placed within 2" of another friendly scheme marker. This action may only be taken once per turn.

I had a chance to test his crew box and he's pretty nifty. Thoughts yourself?

• Like 5

Always love to see custom stuff! The only thing I have to comment on at the moment is this upgrade:

Sidekick (1ss)
McAllister

All friendly models in play lose the I Work Alone ability and gain the following abilities:

Dynamic Duo: Whenever a friendly Master or Totem activates, draw a card.

Fall Guy: When a friendly Totem is killed or sacrificed, you may discard two cards or a soulstone to discard this upgrade.

RAW it seems that gaining the set of abilities is not contingent on losing the I Work Alone ability, so it ends up giving Dynamic Duo to every model in your crew...which is a LOT of card draw...

Perhaps it should be changed to "Friendly models in play with the I Work Alone ability ignore that ability and gain the following abilities..."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Or just Change it to "this model" since he's the one with I Work Alone.

Doesn't work unfortunately. I want Sammy to be able to carry it and still have it do the same thing, rather than give her the sidekick abilities.

48 minutes ago, Astrella said:

Hmm, for Incarcerated maybe make the Burying just part of the Action that gives it out and have Incarcerated read something like "This model can't be unburied, at the end of turn reduce this condition by 1. When this condition's value reaches zero, end it and unbury this model blabla"

Ya I think I am going to do that.

2 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Doesn't work unfortunately. I want Sammy to be able to carry it and still have it do the same thing, rather than give her the sidekick abilities.

Have it say "Friendly McAllister" then. Edit: Or after actually reading Sammy's card, "Friendly Leader".

Though after looking a bit more, the intent of Sammy's Ability seems to be to give her talents, not to buff the Master. There are also a couple of upgrades that doesn't do anything if you put them on Sammy, e.g. Explosive Solutions, A Gremlin's Luck (I think), Out for Blood, Bounty; so there is precedence for not everything being for Sammy.

On ‎13‎.‎2‎.‎2016 at 6:18 PM, Bengt said:

Though after looking a bit more, the intent of Sammy's Ability seems to be to give her talents, not to buff the Master. There are also a couple of upgrades that doesn't do anything if you put them on Sammy, e.g. Explosive Solutions, A Gremlin's Luck (I think), Out for Blood, Bounty; so there is precedence for not everything being for Sammy.

A Gremlin's Luck gives Sammy :+fate on healing flips made during her activation :P 

That doesn't stop it being in a story encounter pack - See The crossroad seven, or the Brotherhood of the Rat. 

And the Tortoise and the Hare shown here, whilst we may well see them in Book 4 (along with Aionus), they aren't going to be in a book by the time they are on sale.  And they are scenario specific models

Yes, that is all very true. There is the Carver model also. But the tortoise and the hare are also models that only appear in their named encounter and can not be hired by crews without a "counts as" rule. I talking more along the lines of the Iron Zombies. They can out around the start of M2E, and were just a story encounter box set, which was pretty cool. Maybe a little limited as who would buy the box set as it had only Resser models. They then changed their mind and included them in book 2 so everyone could see the model stats and not just the ones that buy the box set, which is okay, but it feels like a limit to me. The Crossroad seven were already in book 3. The Brotherhood of the rat is just Hamlin models from book 2. 

But to my mind the only difference between Transmortis and the Crossroads seven, was that the Transmortis box came out before the models were in a rule book (or to be honest a rules set) where as the Crossroad 7 already had rules out there. Otherwise, they are pretty similar. If you were tpoo look at them now, they are equivalent. 

They rarely sell models before they appear in a rule book (well since they have had a rule book anyway), but they did with JackDaw I think, Transmortis, and now Aionius. 

If the models for the encounter are balanced enough to be used in normal games, then they will be in a book. It makes life easier to tell people that all the models that are legal in standard games will be in a book and will give people a chance to see their rules somewhere before they have to decide to part with their cash. 

I don't see it as a limit, I bought the crossroads 7 before I had a chance to buy Shifting loyalties, just like I bought Transmortis before I owned M2E. 

Yes, we are not very likely to see a surprise release of models we don't know (but lets be fair, at the moment they are still catching up on back models, so they aren't going to have the gap in their schedule, that they did at the time the releases Transmortis (Everything except Avatar Hoffman was out, and there was a month or 2 before the new book)). In the future, who knows. If they have released everything by June, then the July release could still be a story pack from the book that will be released in August. 

I would not let Good Cop // Bad Cop be a cycle.  I don't know all the gremlin tricks (Or general tricks) to add suits, but the thought of going back and forth for free attacks seems unappealing.  Especially since the phrase is just Good Cop, Bad Cop.  Not Good Cop, Bad Cop, Good Cop, Bad Cop.

I didn't look at it too thoroughly, since I think most of the intentions are clear enough, but a handful of wording discrepancies could be improved.  Like "Df/Wp (:mask) Blocked By The Book: Reduce damage suffered as a result of this action by +1 per :mask in the final duel total, to a minimum of 1."  Since it says "as a result of this action", which would be referring to itself, but it is in fact an Ability rather than an Action.  But like I said, it's clear what's intended here.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the minion with this.  The "News Paper with Eyeholes" especially irks me.  It seems more like something painting the picture of what the model should look like, than what I'd expect to be the name of an ability.  Might just be me though.  It also seems like "I don't even know these guys!?" is not terribly interactive with the intended master, which makes it seem a bit odd to me.  It seems like it comes out being all positive rather than having a negative influence on them at all, since there are hardly any Aura // Pulses to be affected by it.  Granted it might have more purpose when paired with other Gremlin things (Oh god, don't take them with Brewmaster), but not really seeing the point of it.

On 24/02/2016 at 0:20 PM, izikial said:

I would change expert witness to non master so you cant indefinitely shut down dreamer and levi

My disposition towards Leveticus is well-documented and so this now makes me less inclined to change it (but I actually think I will because I am a reasonable person)

5 hours ago, Tawg said:

I would not let Good Cop // Bad Cop be a cycle.  I don't know all the gremlin tricks (Or general tricks) to add suits, but the thought of going back and forth for free attacks seems unappealing.  Especially since the phrase is just Good Cop, Bad Cop.  Not Good Cop, Bad Cop, Good Cop, Bad Cop.

There's a slightly newer version based on playtesting and just thinking, but there weren't enough changes to post it here. This is one of the first tweaks I made afterwards. Lenny + Som'er or Som'er and a Skeeter could essentially give them all the suits they need forever, so it had to go.

5 hours ago, Tawg said:

I didn't look at it too thoroughly, since I think most of the intentions are clear enough, but a handful of wording discrepancies could be improved.  Like "Df/Wp (:mask) Blocked By The Book: Reduce damage suffered as a result of this action by +1 per :mask in the final duel total, to a minimum of 1."  Since it says "as a result of this action", which would be referring to itself, but it is in fact an Ability rather than an Action.  But like I said, it's clear what's intended here.

The as a result wording was based on how triggers are declared as part of an action, but I do agree it is somewhat unclear. How about "When taking damage as a result of an attack action, reduce damage suffered by +1 per :mask in the final duel total, to a minimum of 1."?

5 hours ago, Tawg said:

I'm also not the biggest fan of the minion with this.  The "News Paper with Eyeholes" especially irks me.  It seems more like something painting the picture of what the model should look like, than what I'd expect to be the name of an ability.  Might just be me though.  It also seems like "I don't even know these guys!?" is not terribly interactive with the intended master, which makes it seem a bit odd to me.  It seems like it comes out being all positive rather than having a negative influence on them at all, since there are hardly any Aura // Pulses to be affected by it.  Granted it might have more purpose when paired with other Gremlin things (Oh god, don't take them with Brewmaster), but not really seeing the point of it.

Not gonna lie, The Informant is in there for a minion. I think it's a cute idea but the core of the box is really The Constable/Maverick interaction and a master I have wanted to work out for ages. Newspaper with Eyeholes is a weaker version of disguised and it's supposed to be a reference to the old spy trope of... a newspaper with eyeholes.

"I don't even know these guys!?" is sort of a fluff ability I guess. It's sort of like Moon Shinobis, who mostly get a big positive boost out of Drunken Gremlin Kung Fu with a couple of downsides (no focus or defensive stance or Old Cranky). The big thing that makes it reasonable imo is Lenny. I just wanted to guide crews away from Lenny as an autotake, he gives so much support out and helps out the other models in the box a lot, so I figured it would let me make a slightly more powerful minion that has the downside of not getting Lenny buffs. Whether Informants actually are slightly more powerful than piglets is yet to be seen, but hey.