Painters Challenge 2016 - Rules and Interest

Vaiuri

2016 Painting Challenge  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is such a great response ^_^

Running totals so far:

Masters = 6

Henchmen = 3

Enforcers = 5

Minions = 3

(Unlimited = 1)

Still a couple of weeks to go before we get started, I dont know about you guys but I'm getting lots of models put together ready to go!

• Like 1

On 03/02/2016 at 2:01 AM, LordZombie said:

Why not count masters as 15ss as in the Shifting Loyalties book, as well as the 13 minus cache rule for 0 cost henchmen? Count terrain as 20ss regardless of size, except scatter terrain and that could be 10ss. 

I like this suggestion - seems about right. 

Anyway, count me in for Master. I considered Avatar but i was hoping to paint some non-Malifaux this year too.

EDIT: SCREW IT! Put me down for Avatar instead. I've got plenty to paint and as the OP said, i might as well aim high. :)

Sounds like fun, count me in for the Masterlevel.

Just to clear one thing I'm not sure about. At the beginning of each month I show a pic of unpainted, assembled (are basecoated allowed?) models and at the end of the month I show everything I managed to paint. The unpainted ones (those that weren't even started) can still be used for the next month. Is that correct?

On 16/02/2016 at 1:36 PM, Rathnard said:

Ah, i just realised this starts on March, not February. Suddenly it makes sense why nobody else was posting WiP pics. :)

Not that it matters - plenty of stuff to paint next month regardless!

Loving your enthusiasm though Rathnard :P

I'll kick things off on or around the 1st of March - please note, that I am UK based so I might seem a bit slow... this is perfectly normal  for me, but may be exaggerated by the time difference!

Nice.  I feel a little weird about the gem, hilt and blade all being the same color, but it's cool.  Both of the colors pallets look good, the brown/cream neutral and the teal-ish/black blade and boots.  Although I feel like it's missing an accent color that ties the two together, but that might just be me.

I do really like the way the robes came out though, cream/beige is one of my favorite colors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tawg said:

Nice.  I feel a little weird about the gem, hilt and blade all being the same color, but it's cool.  Both of the colors pallets look good, the brown/cream neutral and the teal-ish/black blade and boots.  Although I feel like it's missing an accent color that ties the two together, but that might just be me.

I do really like the way the robes came out though, cream/beige is one of my favorite colors.

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I'm aware of the gem critique. I was probably a bit lazy on that. The only excuse I have is that, in the original artwork, this thing is part of the sword metal, but I should have painted a ruby there maybe. 

Do you have any idea on the accent color I could have used? I didn't really know how to paint the arms to be honest. I tried to create a warm/cold contrast, with the green of the metals and boots being complementary to the red of the brown in the robe and bags. I could use a suggestion for the other two witchling stalkers maybe.

11 hours ago, Franchute said:

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I'm aware of the gem critique. I was probably a bit lazy on that. The only excuse I have is that, in the original artwork, this thing is part of the sword metal, but I should have painted a ruby there maybe. 

Do you have any idea on the accent color I could have used? I didn't really know how to paint the arms to be honest. I tried to create a warm/cold contrast, with the green of the metals and boots being complementary to the red of the brown in the robe and bags. I could use a suggestion for the other two witchling stalkers maybe.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert on color theory, but maybe this could help.

I personally use this site as a basic color wheel.  It's really nice, and interactive.  If you have a strong feeling for one or two of the colors you want to use, this can really help point you towards a solid color to build the different color harmonies.  I tried to emulate the main colors on that guy below:

Spoiler

HEX: #f7e3c2              
HEX: #20393b              
HEX: #a66530              
HEX: #cfc2f7              
HEX: #3b2720              
HEX: #3048a6

So

I ended up with a bit of odd formatting by trying to copy and paste those colors onto the Wyrd Forums.. hopefully this will post and look normal enough though.

At anyrate, it looks to me like a blue-ish or light purple color might be complimentary to the stronger (by which I mean, more surface area on the model) cream and the floor boards of the base.  I think it's important to note that the wood he's standing on are fairly in line with the cream color, so it makes a LOT of the model look much more monochromatic or at least analogous (All basically the same small slice of the color wheel).  I feel like with your two pictures the top one (Front of the model) is a little white-washed in the picture, because I feel like I can't quite tell what color the goggles are?  I want to say a semi-bright green.

I think the biggest issue is just that the base and the robes (Along with all the leather accessories, sheath, pouches, arm wraps) are all very analogous, and it creates a very large, unbroken surface to look at.  From the front, the chains and goggles are some of the only details breaking it up (Which honestly look good, I like the look of the chains over his shoulder).  The issue is just adding or picking out the details to break it up a bit more, I think.  I think the bright-green goggles aren't exactly tying with the green-ish metal, just due to the contrast between very dark greenish-blue to a much brighter yellowish-green.  They don't tie well with each other.

Beyond that though, perhaps the pouches along his waist could see more color, a bit of blue or purplish cloth to create more contrast on the main body of the figure.  Or the base, if you could find a way to incorporate any elements on the floorboards that break up the brown and allow a bit more color in besides the small hint of boots, that might help a ton as well.  Maybe a broken weapon or pipe, some rubble or ice (Depending where he's suppose to be).  Hell you could even paint the cloth covering the face in a drastically different color from the rest of the robes, if you really want to break it up some, although I feel like perhaps that would be too much?

I might just be making things worse, so feel free to ignore my comments.  But if it helps, then awesome, glad I could offer some advice. 

• Like 1

Tawg,

This page is amazing. Thank you very much for the tip!

I like your idea of putting some blue or violet somewhere on the model. I'll try to think about how to do it. Maybe, as you suggested, adding an object on the base could be a solution. At least, I could add some violet in the shadows of the arms. I used a greenish brown for this model. I could experiment with some violet for the other two witchling stalkers.

On the goggles: I simply didnt paint them. I wanted to have bright eyes like in the original artwork :) (or maybe I'm just lazy). So, you are right: their color is the same white cream as for the mask (it's not the picture's fault!). I agree with your comment on the green of the eyes: it doesn't match. I first painted the eyes before the rest of the other green parts and used a warmer green as an intermediary color between the dark green and the white. But then, when I painted the metallic parts and the boots, I decided not to use this green anymore. Maybe I could experiment with some violet again for the eyes of the other two guys and come back to this model if this works.

Thanks for your comments! They helped me understand what was bothering me with my work.

Awesome, glad I could shed any light with my suggestions (And yeah, that color wheel is sweet as hell).

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with, perhaps in the next month or so for the painters challenge?  I mean, the original stands as testament to great skill, if a little lacking in composition.  So I look forward to seeing what comes next :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...