How good is the mech rider?

bertmac

Meh, don't use it, is bad as hell :D joking, he's gold.

He can't do much till turn 3. In my crew he is hide till my last activation of turn 3 and then: 6VP.

Is like 2 Scheme Markers for free when damaging, and summoning and pushing by a (0) action. Tanky enough, and decent damage.

But still 12ss, so if it is not giving you an entire Scheme alone is not worth.

I like him with Ramos, but works with any Master, even Leveticus.

It's high on the power curve but there's been a little too much hyperbole thrown around about it IMO.  

Part of the reason it's overestimated is that it will rarely flat out fail to do something in game. This leads to people not considering if different choices may have done better than the rider overall.  A 12ss support model is always an interesting pick purely because it will tend to imbalance your crew selection, you tend to have to end up light on hitting power or activations as a result*. 

That said there are a lot of times when it's an absolutely great choice, so it's a must own for a dedicated Arcanist (and a stunning model).

*I get that it makes new activations, but the need to keep the rider alive means often those activations aren't the activations you need, either because of what or where they are.

Edit: Oh and don't take it with Ramos. The one thing Ramos doesn't need is more summoning, he does tons of that already. You're far better off using those 12 stones to balance your crew capabilities. Spend them on hitting power or Cassandra. 

• Like 1

Edit: Oh and don't take it with Ramos. The one thing Ramos doesn't need is more summoning, he does tons of that already. You're far better off using those 12 stones to balance your crew capabilities. Spend them on hitting power or Cassandra. 
Try it with Joss and Howard. You will have 3 awesome models to reactivate in early, mid and late game. Ramos just buffing and giving extra activations.

Anyway, if the game is reconnoiter and put scheme markers, you can go with the Rider and the full arachnid crew. You don't always need a heavy hitter to complete or avoid victory points.

The problem with the other riders is that you are tying up points and getting fewer activations. With the mech you are generating new models (metal f*ing gamin who are impossible to remove to add insult to injury) so you're really not giving activation advantage away AND you are completing every marker based scheme in the game without even trying between the rider and the gamin. This leaves the rest of your crew to stop the enemy and if your enemy wants to hinder your schemes he/she needs to divert ludicrous resources to do it. In the games I have played against her she has been just as good as people give her credit for.

Its great, period. However, since so many players are constantly hiring it its nearly always useful to bring something that can take it out early. Like the Strongarm Suit who everyone can hire. Outcasts got Scout the Field which can really make the hunt easier too. In other words, there is a small crack in the crutch so to say.

I was playing against McCabe in a tournament and the rider charged him turn 2. She single handedly earned me 6 VP for breakthrough and cursed object that game without ever really being in danger.

This left the rest of my Ramos team to drop claim markers and run down scheme runners. I won 9 - 1. I had Ramos killing his dogs and spider swarms clearing the field of markers.

In essence, having a single model being able to handle that many points let me spend the effort on denial that most people just write off. Breakthrough ISN'T free points if you don't let it be.

• Like 2

I think that the thing that makes Mech Rider "OP" is Metal Gamin. They are simply a ridiculous summon for her, especially if the opponent has Constructs when they turn from ridiculously too good to just plain silly. 2 Wd and HtK just shouldn't have been.

I agree. It's the utterly brokenish Metal Gamin that make the Mech Rider such a good model. Has anyone actually ever summoned anything else than Metal Gamin with the Rider? :P 

I agree. It's the utterly brokenish Metal Gamin that make the Mech Rider such a good model. Has anyone actually ever summoned anything else than Metal Gamin with the Rider? :P

Friend of mine uses Ice Gamin and Spiders to proxy Metal Gamin. Does that count?

• Like 3

I actually summon fire and Ice gamin about as frequently with the Mech Rider. They all have their niche uses. 

Fire Gamin:

Lets say a model is at 2 wds with H2K I'll summon a fire gamin near it and then "kill" it win (1) ap. 

A soulstone user has 1 wd left? Kill the fire gamin near them. 

Ice Gamin: 

Similar to the Fire gamin, but when you need to do 2 dmg on the spot instead of waiting. 

They also have a fairly reasonable attack with a slow trigger. 

Metal Gamin:

If you need a model to just survive and nothing else this is your man. 

Also Magnetism is legit when it's available. 

Mannequin:

Only an option if you need to be able to do a scheme strategy.(Magician's Assistant)

Armor +3 doesn't really help when you only have 1wd. 

Electric Creation:

Exact same use as the Ice Gamin, but you don't have to spend the ap killing it for the explosion. 

Steam Arachnid:

I can't imagine this little dude every being the right choice outside of maybe a Ramos Crew. 

Friend of mine uses Ice Gamin and Spiders to proxy Metal Gamin. Does that count?

I own some metall gamin know and finally a wonderfull Mechanical Rider, aint no more proxing for me :P If you are referring to me... I am pretty sure I never did that against you... how is it you know most of my games? :huh:

But to the topic:

In my experience the summoned minions do not have a big impact. I usually use the zero action primarly for the push. A metal game which is comparably slow summoned in turn 4 is hard to get into position and still do something. So if it is not in position it will not have a big impact. And the position of the Mechanical Rider is rarly the correct position for a Metal Gamin(this of course depends on how I use her) Although in Reconnoiter it is very strong.

I manly use the Mechanical Rider for her speed, durability, flexibility (push and summon) and of course for scheme marker generation.

Binding ranged minions with a nearly unkillable model is strong. Generating scheme markes without the 4'' restriction is strong. Pushing is allways strong.

What the Mechanical Rider lacks in my experience is actually offensive power (which would indeed be overkill). Although its of course enough for schemes runners, which is to be expected of such an expensive piece. I use her manly as annoyance and support piece for which she is outright great. Depending on the schemes she is able to complete the schemes on her own, while denying the oponents scheme runners. Very strong but scheme dependend.

I summoned fire gamin in turns 4 and 5 this week

I like this Idea very much. This solves the out of position problem of the metal gamin to some degree. I have to try that... Damn now I need to get Fire Gamin... ;)

If I would have to play against her (which I never did up to now, so this is theory) I would actually not go for killing her (except if she is out of position early of course) and try to deny her her game. Throw some cheapish or tanky stuff at her and use terrain to limit the effectivness of her push. Or all kinds of slow/paralyze/root/you may not walk stuff. But I think these tipps have been covered a lot in wikis and other threads from people more competent than me.

Overall I think she is very very strong given the right schemes and the right opertunities to use her. I do not see her as the general auto include piece as I get the impression some do momentarily.

I own some metall gamin know and finally a wonderfull Mechanical Rider, aint no more proxing for me :P If you are referring to me... I am pretty sure I never did that against you... how is it you know most of my games? :huh:

I think I was playing at the neighboring table. I have good awareness of my surroundings (means I'm nosy).

in a game the other day Miss Step finally caught up to my Mech Rider turn 5. Didn't have a chance of hurting the rider and I returned the favor by using Arcane Ritual to drop 2 scheme markers which ensured 3 VP's for me, So yeah it's THAT good!

I was running it in a Ramos crew and summoned spiders with it, but having looked at some of the above posts and considered my game I might have been better off summoning metal gamin.

in a game the other day Miss Step finally caught up to my Mech Rider turn 5. Didn't have a chance of hurting the rider and I returned the favor by using Arcane Ritual to drop 2 scheme markers which ensured 3 VP's for me, So yeah it's THAT good!

Espacially Miss Step has a chance to hurt her even in turn 5 ;) But yes late game and the scheme marker generation are very nice. But I think many people underestimate the drawback of not beeing so strong early.

In turn 4 and 5 she seems super strong but still I think in many cases a model which did more work for you in 1,2,3 might be beneficial. This effect is enhanced as one tends to try to hide her early to get to that turn 4 and 5.  Of course allways depending on scheme,strats, opponent faction, terrain...

She's an auto include for me when plant explosives and spring the trap are in the scheme pool. Being able to target something from 8in and drop two scheme markers ignoring normal rules for scheme marker placement is perfect for those schemes. As an added bonus I get to draw a card if I can pull off a second attack