Models from the starter box thoughts

D_acolyte

This past week I got in two games with a bloodwretch and and the Scion of Black Blood. I also got one game with Angel Eyes. Here is my opinion of them. This is NOT taking into account any masters or upgrades that cannot be put on the model.

Bloodwretch:

Overview:

High DF and WK of 6 for a 5 ss model but 5 WD so they cannot take a true beating model on but for his cost bracket that should be expected. Their charge is 7 with a 1 inch reach, but to be honest if you are having a problem charging with them turn 2 I would consider how you are using the Wk 6.

This is a Nephilim without black blood, but no worries they are immune to damage from pulses. Finally after killing a model they heal 2.

Their attack action has no trigger but is a Mi 6 2/3/5. This is great for a combat runner/runner hunter. There is not much outside of a few masters that a bloodwretch cannot hit. I heard one person, Mason (yes that Mason, the Wyrd employee) mentioned that bloodwretchs are combat versions of terror tots and I agree.

The tactical action is nice side ability in case you need more cards. For the rest of this activation after damaging draw 2 cards and then discard one, I used it as a way to cycle the low cards out of my hand. It is a one action so no charging with it.

Thoughts:

Bloodwretchs live in the charge. They can scheme run or go hunting scheme runners if you need them to with their speed of 6. The model is easily worth 5 ss. Also being 5 ss is the greatest weakness of the model. It is right between the young and the tots. Both of them are have black blood but other than that how do they compare.

Young nephilim vs bloodwretchs: young are slower but have flight so he is better mobility on boards with lots of terrain. Young are also have a slightly better Wd and Cg but are Df 5. As for damage on their 1 attack action…. Mi 6 check, range 1 check, 2/4/5 vs 2/3/5 well to me these might as well be the same. This is based on the most common damage being weak, a 2 in this case, and the red joker damage being a 7. The biggest bonus for the Young Nephilim is that he has triggers and an auto mask to his attack. The chance for Blood Frenzy is really what makes the Young much better on combat then a lot of other models IMO, this includes the illuminated.

Terror tot vs bloodwretchs: tots have one less Wk but sprint can help make up that difference. So this comparison is easy, if you do not mind less combat ability and 1 lower Wd for the possibility to go 20 inches a turn instead of 12 then the tot is the winner but if you want a cheap fast combat model that can do hunting or scheming in a pinch then bloodwretchs wins.

Scion of Black Blood:

Overvies:

Df 4 and Wk 5 is low, but if your thinking the Scion of Black Blood is a combat model that joke is on you. He is a support model that can if needed fight vs some things (DO NOT CHARGE LILITH!!). He can take a good amount of damage with 10 wounds.

Black blood, YES IT IS BACK. Now that being said not one was did this matter in his 2 games. Blood Fury lets him be better once he suffer 4 wounds, this is a pluss flip to all but damage. Now this is what you want to have the Scion for: his aura 6 that lets other models remove ALL condition at the start of the models activation at the cost of 2 cards…. THIS ROCKS VS McMorning or people that like to paralyze you because if 2 things happen at the same time then the activating player chooses the order.

His attacks are both at skill 5 with a move 3 inches after succeeding. The MI is range 1 and 3/4/6 damage with a heal me 2 or friend nearby trigger, so that is probably just a heal me 2. His Sh is range 8 and is 2/4/5 with a trigger to do two damage to models if they failed a check.

Tactical action wise is a range 10 lets other model take a 1 interact action. This is great for schemes and strategies. I just think of it as a guy saying HAY YOU, DROP THAT CURSED OBJECT!! or YOU CLAIM THAT POINT!! like some angry nephilim officer.

Thoughts:

If you are worried about condition or want to play with 1 interact action and not want to make use of models actual 1 action then you’re not going wrong with the Scion. I ran him with Retribution’s Eye and that was great, the attack might be lower skills but they damage spread is good and it makes his shot gun really useful. I tend to see models with armor 2 but not great Df, so the shotgun is very useful. Yes I think he is worth 8 stones and Retribution’s Eye is ALWAYS worth it for another 1 stone. In both game he proved to be a pain for armored models.

Angel Eyes

She has a Df 6 and who cares about her movement of 5 because with a range 14 she probably will not move if she activate late in the turn. She heals 2 when she kills an enemy model, which only matters after the front line of your forces are gone or a sniper decided to try and shoot her. Now this makes her almost an auto include as it give us something we do not have at all, SHE NEVER RANDOMIZE WHEN SHOOTING INTO ENGAGMENTS!!

Attack actions include a rifle shot at 14 inches that does 2/3/4 and has the critical strike trigger and a 0 action of 2/2/3 shot that is range 6. All her attacks are at skill 6. As for her Mi attack, meh 2/3/3. Both the Mi and rifle have a trigger to move.

She also has an upgrade to give her Arcane Shield for 1 stone, I skipped it.

Thought:

Ok I say that never randomizing when shooting into engagements is an auto include like ability but that I have thought deep and long about this and said when do I actually shoot a gun? Stiches, Collodi and Widow Weaver do not have :ranged actions. Dreamer has a gun but I can count how often I use it on one hand, insidious madness mostly run schemes. That leave Tuco, Pandora and the Cherub. I have never seen Tuco played and Pandora prefers having shooters shoot themselves so normally they are unengaged. The Cherub is mostly used to shoot models I do not want to deal with away or into Lilith. I may be missing one or two but that just a quick overview of models that do not need to be engad to do damage.

If none of the above list is your style and you want a range model consider Angel Eyes. She provides some accurate and nice range damage for my crew, but I keep going back and forth on her.

I hope to eventually do one for the guild models as well, but it will probably be about 2-3 weeks and someone will probably beat me to it.

I think overall they are all good models. I am going to be torn between the bloodwretchs and the young when I go looking for a fighting minion. I almost never use tots and with bloodwreths I probably will never go back unless I want something to grow.

For you Lucius people, a bloodwrech has a 5 wp.

My favorite model out of the set is Scion of Black Blood for rules and usefulness.

Thanks for the info D_Acolyte.  Was just commenting to some people that I had not seen a post with this sort of info, glad to have gotten to see the stuff *Helps me get an idea what sort of models they are*.  Will be interesting to see what the last unspoiled Guild models *Orderlies* are like as the Previews of Gencon showed the Doc and the Nurse.  Thanks

I really can't see any of these models being taken as Mercenaries. Maybe Grimwell to have fun with I Pay Better but that's more of a gimmick than a serious thing. They are mostly competent models but they are also (on purpose) very simple models and therefore don't offer anything that a given Faction can't get cheaper from its own pool of models. Angeleyes shooting into engagements is done a lot better by McTavish, IMHO.

But for their own factions, the starter set models are interesting.

I really can't see any of these models being taken as Mercenaries. Maybe Grimwell to have fun with I Pay Better but that's more of a gimmick than a serious thing. They are mostly competent models but they are also (on purpose) very simple models and therefore don't offer anything that a given Faction can't get cheaper from its own pool of models. Angeleyes shooting into engagements is done a lot better by McTavish, IMHO.

But for their own factions, the starter set models are interesting.

Agreed. Mercs are still good for new players to have more diversity. It's why I would say that Viks and Schillster are the best beginner boxes if a player doesn't look for style but for playstyle.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, MR TORGUE said:

I stupidly started another topic querying wretches.. thanks for linking me in Math; certainly helped out a bunch! Also I was thinking scion was a bit duff but you may have persuaded me otherwise... 

If you are looking for straight damage potentials, there are better models. The Scion brings some versatility and some tool box tricks, so if you want those and a min damage of 3 then go for him but if you want straight combat.... well that is a big list that can include almost stone values.

I enjoy the Scion because I tend to take some other killy options, such as Nekima, and use the 0 action to put down schemes and give him Retribution's Eye to shape the field. Once it kept a ice golem from getting anywhere near him because of fear of the shot gun by passing his armor.

Never apologize for starting a new topic as some of these end up getting buried in the huge number of posts.

• Like 2