Starting Ulix right now?

Druso

Hi! I loved Ulix since the fist time i saw the art. Im thinking about buy the starter but firstly I have to ensure that I would be able to play with him with the current released models. I dont want to use proxies except Trixie.

So, the question is, what models i will need with Ulix? Is playable with the current released models?.

Thank you.

The only thing missing is the Sow, essentially. She is very, very nice with Ulix but you can sub in a Warpig and kinda make do. So yeah, you can play Ulix currently but he will be getting a major boost once The Sow is released. Just get all the Pigs currently available, Hog Whisperer and Slop Haulers and you're good to go.

The other unreleased models that I think have interesting synergy with him are the Taxidermist and Stuffed Piglets.  Not sure if they will be great or not, but there seems some fun potential for shenanigans with pig-slinging stuffed piglets into the enemy - and even better if you are making those stuffed piglets from corpses. 

• Like 1

I've found the taxidermist too situational to consistently bring. He'll tag along if I'm playing a friendly game against Rezzers, but not much else. 

With that said, the most fun I've had with one was against Hamelin. Kill rat, summon stuffed piglet, bacon bomb, kill more rats. Next turn rinse repeat. It's also nice because you're summoning mobile pig-bombs that provide blast damage and can deny Collect the Bounty, Make them Suffer, Headhunter points. 

I have played TONS of Ulix. He's great with all the models that are available right now. Pigs, pigs, pigs. The Sow are terrifying with Ulix and Old Major. If you can make your own, do it. If not, you can still get by just fine.

I really love the sow. :P

I played yesterday against Ulix. It´s an amazing master, being able to Interact(0) is awesome. I managed to kill TheSow and OldMayor and I won the game. As I see you can easily summon 2 Warpigs and a ton of Piglets.

So basically Ulix, slop hauler, pigs to taste? I think I can manage that.

And almost everything is released? That's even better! I'll pick up the box at gencon and start makin bacon.

If I'm insane, I might try to get him painted for the Friday tournament

• 4 weeks later...

I used the same crew every game (it was literally all I owned for gremlins at the time).

Ulix

Husbandry, hunting bow (took pig slinging vs Marcus)

Penelope

Wild boar

Old Major

Corn husks

Gracie

Saddle

Slop hauler

Pigapult

Round 1 vs Marcus was my only loss, and it would have been tied if I had not failed a birthing flip turn 5 (or if I had played better turns 1-4). Corner deployment, headhunter, and me playing like a slab of meat with mittens taught me a lot about the crew.

Game 2 was vs Sonia. Turn two I got off shot in the rear on old major. He charged a trap, the jerk who dropped it, then Sonia. He still had his normal activation and reactivate to go, but he got pine boxed for three turns (even with soul stones) until Ulix hit the death marshal with a red joker on the damage flip. By the time he came out, it was all over but the crying.

Third game was Molly in bounty. I set up in the corner and launched pigs all game. My opponent put up a valiant fight but being able to drop piglets everywhere really let me take over the board. That, plus he picked the wrong scheme by accident and ended up trying to assassinate Ulix.

• Like 2

So you really were successful at keeping Gremlins themselves to a minimum, that's interesting.

Albeit anecdotal evidence but it really seems like Ulix is able to run his own style crew.

Thanks, Fog.

Ulix really does not need many actual gremlins - if any at all.  He can do a whole lot with the various pigs and some prominent members of his crew have some very good pig-based buffs - like Penelope and Old Major.  Slop Haulers work great for him, just like for every other gremlin force, to both debuff and heal.  I think they are mandatory only if you are running a lot of Piglets as they only have ML-4 and so you want debuffs to help them hit important targets.  The slop haulers are a good thematic fit as well since Ulix himself is basically a master Slop Hauler.

Beyond that Hog Whisperers give you an expanded control area on a quick. cheap minion, that can also do good scheme running and has a decent melee attack.  The Pigapult gives you good ranged firepower if you can spare the piglets to fuel it.  The Taxidermist can recycle piggy corpses into mobile bombs and can hand out Flight to pigs nearby.  Lenny can summon pigs with the upgrade to his Whacked Piglet ranged attack.  And McTavish has some synergy with beasts and swampfiends.

Beyond that there is little reason to bring any non-pig models along with Ulix.

• Like 1