Best Resser Master for Collect the Bounty?

jonahmaul

I'm playing in a tournament next month (Deliverance in Cardiff - hope to see some of you there!) and one of the strategies is CtB.  I know the faction pretty well now so have a go to (more than one in most instances) for all the other strategies but am not sure who would work best for CtB.  I've played it once so far with Seamus and it went very well but I had so much luck it's not a good comparison.  I'm playing it tonight with Molly but that's not because I think she's the best but because I want to practice with her so she's another option in the tournament.  Obviously we don't know what the schemes are going to be yet but which Master comes to mind as being best for CtB?  I'm thinking maybe McMourning or Seamus?

Molly has to summon into combat so a punk zombie with a range of 2 can be used to tie up a scheme marker. Seamus can be almost anywhere on the board so he is a good choice. Tara has 6 AP and can bury to heal with void wreches. Nico can summon heal and add ap to undead so thats not a bad choice.

I played Seamus in CtB last night and won 6 - 3. The Brew Master was brutal in shutting him down BUT it meant the rest of the crew could kill as required. I'll echo the point that he can work independently of the crew and is  a great distraction piece, especially if the CCK is involved!

CCK was MVP for that game, he took 10 wounds off the Brew Master :D

Also I slapped Seamus with Sybelle, making him a peon. This meant I had two peons with Hand cannons flying round :D

For Molly I wouldn't summon in CtB unless its to block schemes. Using her to debuff,whisper a naughty secret, and then accomplice the big mean hitter you hired (and you did hire a big mean hitter right??!) to do the actual killing without the opponent getting a swing back. 

• Like 3

I would be tempted to summon something like a punk Zombie with molly is a few circumstances in CtB

1 I can get it above its hard to kill and at least one of the later points are true

2 Its not in a vulnerable place after the summons (so eitehr the engaged models are poor at Ml, or have already activated, or I'm likely to companion activate and kill the engaged models)

3 The Bounty points for this turn are already decided.

The extra killing power it can add, can really help.

McMourning would be great with flesh constructs being hard to take down and offering hardly any points and also being able to move around to accomplish schemes or counter theirs. If they scheme don't mind you turtling then nico could be good bringing and buffing minions making it hard for them to get points, but i'd go the good Dr or Seamus like other people suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

I found Nico really good for this - summon up some Belle's and take some beat sticks (Dead Rider etc.)

Then lure in the enemy and put up Nico's Everything is awesome bubble. Kill. Use corpse counters to generate more models (patchwork / cast to heal) then also make the beat sticks fast with his ca actions. 

All of a sudden you can have Izamu with fast and + flips to everything. Awesome.

Nico - not just for pure summoning! 

• Like 1

Yeah, I use Nico as a support Master a lot too (although last game the summoning I got from him was nothing short of ridiculous - 3 x Shikome, 2 x Hanged, a Flesh Construct and a Student of Sinew).  I'm leaning towards Nico or McMourning.  Tournament is this weekend so I'll let everybody know how it goes!

I went for Seamus in the end for this having played Nico, McMourning twice and Seamus once previously during the tournament.  I played against Levi and ended up losing the game but I don't think it was a great game for myself or my opponent.  We both took Plant Evidence and Breakthrough and mostly just avoided each other for most of the game and until turn five the only things that had been killed were two Wiaifs and the CCK.  I played against Martin Wodehouse in the fourth game who is a very good Malifaux player and could have won but turned a win into a loss due to a poor mistake (though this poor mistake was in part created because of some good bluffing/baiting which I've learnt well from) which led me to being very cagey in the fifth and final Bounty game.  I moved Seamus into position on turn four to try to score some Bounty points on the last turn but he ended up dying to the combined might of the Strongarm Suit and Taelor (I tried running away out of LoS after the SS charged but failed all three disengaging duels even though I cheated in a 13 and 12!).  I should have listened to Kogan and made him a Peon but I was thinking I might need him for some Interacts!

Moral of the story is that Seamus is a good choice for Bounty but I don't really like the strategy as it encourages cagey play!  But I did at least win best in faction which I was happy with and won some cool terrain and a Miss Ery in the raffle so I left the tournament satisfied overall despite winning all my games on day one and losing them all on day two!

Hey was about to msg you to see how you got on! Yeah turning him into a peon is risky, because he is so handy for late game interacts, but Back Alley stops him interacting anyway so you have to plan for it.

I always take Chiaki to remove the condition if I need Seamus to Interact later on.

I came 4th in Darkfaux and got Best Resurr, so at least we are still flying the flag (and avoiding playing each other! :D )  

• Like 1

I came 7th overall so pretty pleased.  It was a good day for our gaming group as we finished 4th, 5th, 7th, 10th and 16th out of 26.  Another of our group got best in faction TT and another got best painted (his Guild Teddy wins everything because of it's awesomeness!).

We will definitely have to have a Resser off sometime!  I played another Resser (me with Seamus him with McMourning) in the third game and managed to grind out a win after some very hard early turns where he turned the Valedictorian into a Flesh Construct on turn two!  He also took Seamus down to 1 wound but then I healed him up with four failed Wp checks near him and then teleported the hell out of dodge as I thought he had Assassinante (which he did!).

I was quite annoyed at myself after the loss to Martin as I knew he was a top level opponent and I could have got a very impressive win (one of our group was top table last game too so it would have guaranteed our group a tournament win unless we drew).  I thought all game that he had Assassinate against McMourning but he moved the Mech Rider far back into cover at the end of turn three so I thought he might have Bodyguard and committed McMourning to try and get back the one HH point I was down.  I should have trusted my initial instinct and just run away as I failed to kill a Coryphee duet then Howard Langston chopped me to teeny tiny bits!  It was a very good bluff with the Mech Rider though and a good lesson.

• Like 2