Alright You Silly Guildies - Tell me... Why Justice When You Can Just McMourning Instead?

SpectreEliteGaming

Thanks for this thread, I won a LadyJ set awhile back, so while I don't play guild really, I've tried to build around her a bit with WItchlings, Handler, and Executioner.  I will be adding Brutal Effigy to my list now.  Only thing I find a bit irksome is that it seem to pull the best out of her you need Francisco and/or Sidir, each only available in different starter sets =/.

I can't think of any plastic models that I prefer to their metal counterparts outside of the Neverborn. Metal Candy, Sorrows, Poltergeist, Silurids, Terror Tots, Waldgeists, Bad Juju and Collodi were all awful (sufficiently bad that it kept me from starting the faction entirely) and the new versions are completely awesome. Non-Neverborn? Nope, I got nothing. All the metals were better IMO.

I second Dgraz' suggestion that the original Perdita sculpt was the best model that Wyrd has ever produced.

I love the new plastics I have seen so far.  Smoother lines, more consistent in scale with each other, better poses.

Only downside is can be fiddly to put together and somethings might be a little fragile.  For plastic Lady J the only thing that bothers me is the join between sword hilt and handle.  I really wish the blade/hilt had been one piece with the top arm with the join being between the hands.  The arms don't need to be one piece.

Plastic sculpts for the most part have more dynamic poses (rather than very 2 D I am posing for a portrait ones), mostly crisper details and are easier to pin convert where needed.  

Not sure of why people love the clunkier old metals.  New plastics are top rate.

Not sure of why people love the clunkier old metals.  New plastics are top rate.

It's just an aesthetic preference - the old art style was more to my taste. The plastics are exceptionally well crafted and much nicer to work with, but making a perfect sculpt based on a bland or ridiculous piece of art still results in a bland or ridiculous model.

Beyond that, there's a tendency towards certain elements that I don't like in the plastics, like sculpted fire, "sexy" poses and having models in SUPER DRAMATIC ACTION STANCE like they've just stepped out of some anime. Also, every release is still a crapshoot on whether they've got the model scale right.

There are some things I definitely won't miss, like metal Misaki having wrapped her bisento around her body like a scarf every time I take her out of the case. I'm not in any way saying that the plastics are bad, just that in almost every case I prefer the look of the metals despite their chunky casting.

• Like 2

I suppose I like the more dynamic poses, makes the game feel like my figures are doing more than standing around waiting for the bus when I play the game.  I like the art and find very little of it bland.  I have collected minis for well over 20 years and welcome the trend to more interesting poses and less expensive easier to work with materials.  I like that the poses are as 2D as they were, I find the bus stop waiting pose far more bland and much prefer the action movie poster poses.

But of course aesthetics are a subjective thing.  

I find it hard to shake the idea that my models are doing this one dramatic thing, over and over, all day long. Plastic Misaki is just standing in place, swooshing her leg up in a fiery arc, pawing the ground like an angry bull. Mei Feng is jumping up and down on the spot like a toddler in a tantrum, smashing that pile of railway sleepers into ever-smaller splinters. The Wendigo is clawing the faces off an endless stream of hapless dudes that take no further part in the battle. (And I'm fighting Gremlins, who are those guys and why are they even here?)

While I'm not particularly excited by "bus-stop" poses (that's a great term) they at least look like something that a normal person might be doing most of the time. The models that I think are the best, though, are the "tension" poses - the ones that make it look like something's about to happen.

Original Perdita is the best example of this, which is why she's my favourite model - she's the embodiment of perfect stillness, with only her hair moving in the breeze, but you can tell just by looking at her that if you start something, you're going to have a bullet between your eyes before you can blink. Original McMourning is similar. He's adjusting his gloves, which is a normal thing that wouldn't look out of place, but his grin is telling you that when that glove snaps back into place, things are going to kick off. Their poses are evocative of action, rather than representative, and I love that.

• Like 3

Original Perdita is the best example of this, which is why she's my favourite model - she's the embodiment of perfect stillness, with only her hair moving in the breeze, but you can tell just by looking at her that if you start something, you're going to have a bullet between your eyes before you can blink.

All of this!! To the Nth degree. Original Perdita is so full of silent menace it's ridiculous. She is still my favorite mini of all time.

While I appreciate the 'about to do something interesting' this is hard to capture and if all models are doing it not as noticeable plus I feel very few of the old sculpts did this.  Much like if all models are doing action poses, currently in the plastic range this is not the case, some minis are still very static.

For me a mini is not about 'what a normal person might be doing most of the time' but what is a 'caught in the moment' pose.  Mini games for me are about action, and those moments of action, that should be the normal for when they are actually in the middle of a skirmish.  The characters in Malifaux are certainly not normal people to me and probably aren't doing normal things most of the time (well maybe minions and peons).  I like the pulp action feel of the new minis.  

I will agree the old Perdita is a good 'tension pose' piece.  Models with tension are good. I would like to see an updated to finer sculpt plastic of the same pose.  Same with snapping on a rubber glove.  I think the pose should reflect the character of the model.  Lady J's fiction is rare that she is standing around, she is 'on the hunt' at least that is the way she feels for me which is why I like her new plastic.  Hair might be a little much but its part of the current 'pulp action' style Malifaux art is and I can appreciate that as a choice.  For me Lady J's normal is on the hunt, particularly 'in game.'  

I think overall the new line of mini's is a lot more interesting.  There are exceptions of course but most seem to be in the middle of something interesting or are telling an interesting story about a moment or scene.  I don't feel a lot of the older metals did that as well with some exceptions. 

Heh, I actually quite like original Justice for her super-casual pose. She's ready for action, but she's been captured in the moment of swagger. To me, it evokes a sudden, unexpected meeting - everyone tenses up, sweating, waiting to see who will make the first move, except Justice. She stands perfectly relaxed, hands resting lightly on her sheathed greatsword. She's waiting to see who will make the first move as well, but the difference is that she's confident that she'll be making the last move. Cool as heck.

The new one is certainly actiony, but every time I look at it I can't help wondering what the flip she's actually doing. That's not a combat stance - it's a photo pose that you put on a promo poster. It's making an effort to try to look cool, and in so doing completely disqualifies itself.

I don't mind some amount of action in models, but I like it to feel grounded, realistic and appropriate. The plastic Death Marshals leaping about and Russian dancing, for example, look weird and cartoonish in contrast to Miss Terious' no-funny-business stance. Something like McCabe is a good example of action captured well, I'd say - he looks like a man riding a horse. If you've ever seen someone ride a horse and crack a whip, the model will evoke that for you. The horse doesn't have to be doing a backflip to make it "more awesome."

Thinking about it, I suspect what connects my model preferences is a sense of dignity and confidence. People standing ready tend to look more confident, to me, than people who are in the midst of a flurry of activity (which tends to look desperate and chaotic). Ironsides captures this perfectly - she's not static, she's bouncing on the balls of her feet and keeping her shoulders loose - but she's not actually doing anything other than being ready.

This is a good discussion so far, and it's interesting to hear other people's perspectives to help you think about your own. Cheers. :)

• Like 2

I find all the Judges look pretty much equally goofy, to be honest. The plastic one has a sweet hat rather than Fabio hair, so that's a small point in its favour. Dead Judge has a wild look that I find much more tolerable in undead monsters, so probably that one.