The Lone Marshal

trikk

So what are your experiences with him?

I recently painted him so I decided to give him a try and I played him against Lilith and he was surprisingly good.

Trick shooting can

a) get you out of combat

B) is great at hunting scheme runners

c) Cg 10 gives a good charge blob

As for upgrades I started taking Expert Sleuth as this gives him a free push to enemy scheme markers and the initiative bonus is a really cool thing.

Plant Evidence is also good as he can easily go breakthrough last round with trickshooting and then Interact from Plant Evidence

As I play a lot of Gremlins, Lead Lined Coat could also be good as Armour 3 would make dumb luck really backfire on those pesky greenskins.

Only thing he is missing is: 

2/4/5 on Long Carbine which would kill scheme runners on moderate dmg.

• Like 1

Yeah - basically if I want the pale rider but don't need the damage output then I take lone Marshall.

Main thing to accept is that you are going to trick shoot and then place once you have clear distance from others. His shot is still enough to take out most minions over some turns so great on the flank of your main force.

you have it on the nose, run him as an anti scheme runners and do objectives such as power ritual/plant evidance

The problem is that his ss competes in many of my lists with francisco ( a must no matter the master) and 2x austrigners( autoinclude no matter the list)  so after spending 20 stones you have to look at strategy and schemes available to pick him into the crew.

Also when it comes to killiness ryle is 2 more stones but a henchmen with armor, has 0 action push/healing and also sports +twist and attack and dmg on his gun.

Ultimatly lone marshall is in the spot where he is more expensive than a minnion runner yet only a bit cheaper then a heavy hitter. I think his mobility is the key to pick him into an appropriate list.

you have it on the nose, run him as an anti scheme runners and do objectives such as power ritual/plant evidance

The problem is that his ss competes in many of my lists with francisco ( a must no matter the master) and 2x austrigners( autoinclude no matter the list)  so after spending 20 stones you have to look at strategy and schemes available to pick him into the crew.

I've yet to lose my Master when playing as Guild in 2E and I've never had Franco in my team so I find it hard to believe he is really THAT much of an autopick for so many others. His name keeps popping up on literally every "What to buy first/Where to go from here?" thread so... Does everyone else face opponents who beeline for their Master so hard the only answer is Franco? o.o

More on topic, the LM is a bucket load of fun. Reliable shootin' n' scootin' combined with good manoeuvrability has made him a decent (though thus far not GREAT) scheme runner. Need to do more testing to say anything more conclusive, but so far he seems like a solid piece. Plant Evidence has served him well.

• Like 2

8 stone model with weak of 3 potential4 at ml7, henchie and a way to neg twist on ml .. ay

His Weak damage is 2, 3 if you get Critical Strike.  Franc is good but he is not an auto-include at all.  The :-fate in Ml is nice but then you can just shoot him or wait until the start of the next turn and hit him whilst it's not up.  With only Df5 and 8Wd he goes down easily even with his upgrade giving him HtK (which is pretty much an auto-include(!) upgrade making him a 9SS model).  He's solid no doubt but not auto-include and the more I've played with my Guild the more I find The Judge being a better option.

Same with Austringers and auto-include.  They're probably auto-include for certain schemes (and maybe Squatters Rights strat) but I've played without them plenty of times and usually prefer a Pathfinder.

I've yet to play with the Lone Marshal but I've played against him quite a few times and he is very solid for all the reasons listed above.  There are no auto-includes in most lists but Marshal is very good at certain schemes and generally a good all around choice.

• Like 2

I play Guild in my local club without Franciso (don`t play family) and Austringers (not out yet) and I believe although he is a solid choice he is nowhere near broken and can be substituted by a lawyer or guardian, which are either cheaper or more resilent. Only master I find him worth taking for (and miss not having) is Lady Justice, as her Df7 + riposte could do wonders (not counting Perdita as I don`t play her) AND maybe Sonnia which likes to stay out of combat, but she has 14" range so you must have messed up movement.

EDIT:

I also belive saying publicly in forum that Franciso or Austringer are auto-includes might force new players into bad habits, so I discourage doing that. I believe the balance is good enought to make all models viable and there`s also the matter of preference (some people don`t play with model X as it just doesn`t work for them)

• Like 1