Metal Age vs Plasti-Models... let's be honest...

SpectreEliteGaming

My only real issue with plastics is how they're cut, making some of them impossible or nigh impossible not to break during construction, or really impractical to put together. That being said, the paint sticks to plastic wya better than to metal, so there's that, and you don't have to pin anything. I'm sure Wyrd will figure out how to cut the models in long run (they are showing improvement) so that's it.

If you are breaking plastics in construction, that is not the fault of the plastic...

There's been a lot of this sentiment in this thread and it's really irrelevant. Presumably everyone is taking the same level of care with their metals and plastics, so if they find one of them more durable than the other it's a valid comparison. If you reckon people should be more careful with one material over that's a fair point, but otherwise it makes no difference whether you treat you models like sacred relics or let your kids play with them.

I didn't mention it earlier but a couple of recent threads have reminded me how much the vector sculpting contributes to my dislike of the new plastics. The quality of sculpts in the old range was pretty variable and probably depended a lot on the artists involved and scheduling. The new plastics have a much more consistent art style and high level of detail but sometimes feature these bizarre errors you would expected to be weeded out in quality control. If you look at Mr. Graves' left hand hand, there's an empty option that has perfectly square edges along the inside, or one holding a square-edged bat that only has texture on 2 of the sides. Guild riflemen gear with flat sides that should obviously be rounded. Then there's the now familiar scaling issues.

These all seem like the kind of oversights you wouldn't get if someone were to actually hold the model in their hands and carefully examine it before going to production, and the fact that the model might be otherwise flawless makes them even harder to accept for me.

There's been a lot of this sentiment in this thread and it's really irrelevant. Presumably everyone is taking the same level of care with their metals and plastics, so if they find one of them more durable than the other it's a valid comparison. If you reckon people should be more careful with one material over that's a fair point, but otherwise it makes no difference whether you treat you models like sacred relics or let your kids play with them.

How is it irrelevant? How does it not make a difference whether you're careful with it or not? You can't treat metal and plastic with the 'same level of care' because they are two different materials. 'Same level of care' actually should mean that you care enough about the material to learn how to work with it.....refusing to use different practices with different materials is not a fault of the material. 

Sorry, I don't want to turn the thread into 'how to work with plastic' but the statement truly befuddled me.

It's irrelevant because you have no way of knowing from a person's post how good they are at working with plastic over metal (or vice versa). You have to assume that they're trying to treat their models just as well and feel that one material is easier to work with than the other.

Yes, these things do vary from person to person but if you dismiss every experience as being purely down to the poster's habits there's not really any point reading them.

Both are good for making different models. You can do great things in plastic and metal, and they both have their advantages. The problems usually come up when someone tries to design a bad models using the wrong material- you have to keep in mind during design whether the model will be plastic or metal, it makes a huge difference in molding as well as how durable the final model will be. This is part of the reason why many companies that are making plastic models will also still make metal models.

People will whine about how "hard to assemble" metal can be when in truth you can make a lot of awesome single piece models in metal that require no additional assembly, are nearly immune to breaking, and thanks to how they are molded will have better organic detail that wraps around the whole model, not just perpendicular to the mold lines (hair and fur in particular). You know how big the model will be BEFORE you mold it or pay the sculptor, meaning you can avoid many of the scaling problems Wyrd keeps having. However, you can end up with pretty clunky models when they start getting to be on the bigger side or in way too many parts. Again, that is more bad design than metal being "bad".

Plastics can end up as kits in waaaay too many tiny parts, making them also "hard to assemble" and making them prone to breakage in packing or when being snipped off of the sprue. You can also end up with delicate, spindly parts that are prone to snappage and resnappage during packing, transport, or getting snagged on a sleeve (it has happened). Dgraz did give excellent advice concerning fixing this, but it is fiddly work that is prone to rebreaking. You also end up with worse detail in some cases due to the molding and casting process, and due to the cost/time of molding it is less practical to do small runs of limited models or get a fast turnaround on something new. You can't sell models in parts, you have to buy a whole sprue (or boxed set) even if you only want 1 model (such as trying to get a steam trunk...). On the up side plastics are cheaper (or should be cheaper), make for great mechanical models, and can be assembled using only plastic glue. Many of the problems with plastics can again be avoided with good design and proper planning, plastic itself isn't really "bad" either- just depends on what you are trying to do with it.

What I will say is that it is complete rubbish when people start saying that they won't even think about getting a model based on whether it is plastic or metal, or start talking about nonsense like how that try not to game with metal models, or that all of the plastics are better than the metals (or the other way around)- that is just ridiculous.

• Like 4

What I will say is that it is complete rubbish when people start saying that they won't even think about getting a model based on whether it is plastic or metal, or start talking about nonsense like how that try not to game with metal models, or that all of the plastics are better than the metals (or the other way around)- that is just ridiculous.

Well that was a great dissertation on the bonuses and negatives of the different mediums. Unfortunately this particular statement that I quoted happens to be wrong. Or at least mostly so.

With Malifaux, most players have a pretty mercenary attitude when it comes to what models they game with and enjoy. Players will collect models that they are either more comfortable working with (be that metal or plastic), or they will collect the models that they think look the best.

In the case of Malifaux, there are clear differences in both the technical quality and artistic style between the two materials. The metal models simply look different. There is a difference in quality, as the original metal Wyrd models are sculpted in a slightly more amateurish fashion. There is a difference in looks, as the plastic models have a far more consistent artistic style. This is all my opinion of course, but I feel pretty confident and strongly about my assertions.

So I'll say this definitively - I will ALWAYS collect the plastic models, and will avoid purchasing any Wyrd metal models unless the reasons are truly compelling. 100 percent of Wyrd's plastic resculpted model have been at least a minor (and plenty of times, major) improvement in looks upon the original metals (IMO) and I see no evidence that this trend will be altered in the future. And so for that reason, I will always go for the plastic versions and I don't particularly regard my reasons as being "rubbish"

First of all, I love the post about how the one-piece metal minis are unbreakable - this is probably what is mostly in my mind when discussing this and absolutely my experience and no plastic can compare to that. I could throw those aganst a wall. Also - I've wargamed for +10 years - never broken a metal model - lots of bends, no breaks - them plastics break on any number of small thin pieces (spears!!!) and carving out/cutting down to be able to reglue means it might look funny - with metals its a slight touch up. I've never even seen a metal break (except for my mech rider that came from the factory with a broken off missing front leg! >8( ). I've even had a few pinned limbs that bent (at the sword or what have you) before snapping off at my joint.

Also, Rathnard came up with an excellent point - I do mix and match metals and plastics - bringing the solid ones and leaving the flimsy fancy pants ones at home.

Seating and pinning what .... 2 maaaaybe 3 joints is much more reasonable than assembling any model with piece count above 15-20. I really can't even see an arguement there, unless you've absolutely never used metals before. Not to mention that when you are finished modeling the plastics you are often still left with obvious breaks where the joints join that still need to be filled in with liquid green stuff or similar - like on those funny unneccesary ankle joints or nevk/head, or two piece torsos, etc etc..This could just be me because I spend a lot of time making sure the assembly is flawless - I lose my mind upon seeing a completed model with a mold line.

Actually playing with heavy models gives me a much more positive grip on them and they hold themselves up better (no accidental tips or knockovers from a slight graze on the 30s or tall 40 bases). However, I am flexible enough to acknowledge that "solid" looking figures are definently stronger than fancier metal models, absolutely. Also, big 50mm models - plastic or metal are both fine in this case (especially with metal inserts or solid resin/plastic bases like micro arts or Basicks). Lastly, no comparison - plastics are way better for converting than metal.

Well that was a great dissertation on the bonuses and negatives of the different mediums. Unfortunately this particular statement that I quoted happens to be wrong. Or at least mostly so.

With Malifaux, most players have a pretty mercenary attitude when it comes to what models they game with and enjoy. Players will collect models that they are either more comfortable working with (be that metal or plastic), or they will collect the models that they think look the best.

In the case of Malifaux, there are clear differences in both the technical quality and artistic style between the two materials. The metal models simply look different. There is a difference in quality, as the original metal Wyrd models are sculpted in a slightly more amateurish fashion. There is a difference in looks, as the plastic models have a far more consistent artistic style. This is all my opinion of course, but I feel pretty confident and strongly about my assertions.

So I'll say this definitively - I will ALWAYS collect the plastic models, and will avoid purchasing any Wyrd metal models unless the reasons are truly compelling. 100 percent of Wyrd's plastic resculpted model have been at least a minor (and plenty of times, major) improvement in looks upon the original metals (IMO) and I see no evidence that this trend will be altered in the future. And so for that reason, I will always go for the plastic versions and I don't particularly regard my reasons as being "rubbish"

Wow... wut? I literally have a list in my head of metal models that are better or so damn comparable that for a BF sale price of 4$ you'd have to be crazy to buy a plastic for 2(or even 3?) times the price. Of course, I would still buy the plastics cause I'm a sucker and really like variation (who wants 10+ of the same 4 bayou gremlins?).

Of course, the hoffman set just came out and I gotta say wooooooow those are stellar. But wait.... what the fuuuuuuuu is up with that female alt nephalem? ;) As far as "continuing into the future" I'm honestly not pumped at all about Johan when looking at his M2E art - that original badass steampunk viking thing is sweet and using Johana over Metal Johan? How dare you ;) Its the boobs isn't it?

I seriously have a list though, not kidding. Of course, the new plastics are mostly an approvement - and they better be considering they are new and redone right? 100% though oO

I counter your disagreement big time - and your last paragraph illustrates what I'm referring to pretty well. I support RagingRodian as that is exactly what I have seen and how I feel about this topic. It's just that the prevailing "ugh metals" is like... "<srs face> o rly?" This all or nothing thinking baffles me - especially when someone buys multiple plastic kits instead of say one metal and one plastic for differentiation.

Maybe I'm just caught up about the whole thing because I hear it so often.

Also, yeah the peacekeeper was a bad example, I think I was mostly focused on the whole "holy crap - look at all of these little parts" argument. The steampunk arachnid in metal is like "screw that" too though... so besides those two models in particular - metals are great to put together, I find.

So I'll say this definitively - I will ALWAYS collect the plastic models, and will avoid purchasing any Wyrd metal models unless the reasons are truly compelling. 100 percent of Wyrd's plastic resculpted model have been at least a minor (and plenty of times, major) improvement in looks upon the original metals (IMO) and I see no evidence that this trend will be altered in the future.

I think that that 100 percent claim is kinda pushing it. Lady Justice, Sebastian, Zombie Chihuahua, Guild Guard, Slop Haulers, all the mis-scaled stuff...

I mean, sure, you might think that way and just honestly and quite strangely like all the plastic releases more, but that is extremely unlikely since some of the plastics have been... not very stellar. So are you sure that you're really considering all the releases?

• Like 1

I think that that 100 percent claim is kinda pushing it. Lady Justice, Sebastian, Zombie Chihuahua, Guild Guard, Slop Haulers, all the mis-scaled stuff...

I mean, sure, you might think that way and just honestly and quite strangely like all the plastic releases more, but that is extremely unlikely since some of the plastics have been... not very stellar. So are you sure that you're really considering all the releases?

Couldn't really agree more.

I like some of the plastics as huge improvements (Nurses, Nephilims, Terror Tots for example) but all of them? No no.

First of all, I love the post about how the one-piece metal minis are unbreakable - this is probably what is mostly in my mind when discussing this and absolutely my experience and no plastic can compare to that. I could throw those aganst a wall. Also - I've wargamed for +10 years - never broken a metal model - lots of bends, no breaks - them plastics break on any number of small thin pieces (spears!!!) and carving out/cutting down to be able to reglue means it might look funny - with metals its a slight touch up. I've never even seen a metal break (except for my mech rider that came from the factory with a broken off missing front leg! >8( ). I've even had a few pinned limbs that bent (at the sword or what have you) before snapping off at my joint.

Also, Rathnard came up with an excellent point - I do mix and match metals and plastics - bringing the solid ones and leaving the flimsy fancy pants ones at home.

Seating and pinning what .... 2 maaaaybe 3 joints is much more reasonable than assembling any model with piece count above 15-20. I really can't even see an arguement there, unless you've absolutely never used metals before. Not to mention that when you are finished modeling the plastics you are often still left with obvious breaks where the joints join that still need to be filled in with liquid green stuff or similar - like on those funny unneccesary ankle joints or nevk/head, or two piece torsos, etc etc..This could just be me because I spend a lot of time making sure the assembly is flawless - I lose my mind upon seeing a completed model with a mold line.

Actually playing with heavy models gives me a much more positive grip on them and they hold themselves up better (no accidental tips or knockovers from a slight graze on the 30s or tall 40 bases). However, I am flexible enough to acknowledge that "solid" looking figures are definently stronger than fancier metal models, absolutely. Also, big 50mm models - plastic or metal are both fine in this case (especially with metal inserts or solid resin/plastic bases like micro arts or Basicks). Lastly, no comparison - plastics are way better for converting than metal.

Wow... wut? I literally have a list in my head of metal models that are better or so damn comparable that for a BF sale price of 4$ you'd have to be crazy to buy a plastic for 2(or even 3?) times the price. Of course, I would still buy the plastics cause I'm a sucker and really like variation (who wants 10+ of the same 4 bayou gremlins?).

Of course, the hoffman set just came out and I gotta say wooooooow those are stellar. But wait.... what the fuuuuuuuu is up with that female alt nephalem? ;) As far as "continuing into the future" I'm honestly not pumped at all about Johan when looking at his M2E art - that original badass steampunk viking thing is sweet and using Johana over Metal Johan? How dare you ;) Its the boobs isn't it?

I seriously have a list though, not kidding. Of course, the new plastics are mostly an approvement - and they better be considering they are new and redone right? 100% though oO

I counter your disagreement big time - and your last paragraph illustrates what I'm referring to pretty well. I support RagingRodian as that is exactly what I have seen and how I feel about this topic. It's just that the prevailing "ugh metals" is like... "<srs face> o rly?" This all or nothing thinking baffles me - especially when someone buys multiple plastic kits instead of say one metal and one plastic for differentiation.

Maybe I'm just caught up about the whole thing because I hear it so often.

Also, yeah the peacekeeper was a bad example, I think I was mostly focused on the whole "holy crap - look at all of these little parts" argument. The steampunk arachnid in metal is like "screw that" too though... so besides those two models in particular - metals are great to put together, I find.

Aesthetics:

In general metal models are more chunky than plastic models, it's just not possible to cast the metal used in miniatures is thinly as the plastic. If you, like me, like the slimmer look metal is immediately at a disadvantage. Some Wyrd metals (I think this is mostly the really early ones) has a very distorted/stylistic/cartoony/whatever look that I really don't like. One piece models (both metal and plastic) has a rather special look, any extended parts are in one plane, often grasping stuff close to their bodies in unnatural ways since even rubber moulds only allow that much overhang, in short they do not look nice. So to my point, since you keep brining up the BF sale, why would anyone want 3 hideously ugly models instead of 1 nice looking? Obviously hideous is in the eye of the beholder, but you seems to argue that it's self evident that everyone should get the metals just because they are cheap. I don't know about you, but to me this hobby is not a race to amass the most models possible before I die (at least not since I quit being serious about GW games :P). 

Resilience:

So now we are comparing an old metal one piece to a modern plastic with fine detail? Let me tell you about old GW plastics, they are very few pieces, e.g. body-head-shield-base or body-boltgun-backpack-base, and you can play table tennis with them. Obviously if you have a hammer you can break them (hammers are nice like that), but the same is true for a one piece metal. :P Lets instead compare with an Infinity Dakini or something, I'll sit here and giggle while you throw that at a wall.

Assembly:

15-20 pieces huh? Strawman much? Typically Wyrd plastic models are 5-10. A very few models have more (I think Hannah Smash wins with ~60). Modern multi part metals like the Infinity line has a bit fewer pieces on average but they very often need pining to have any hope of stuff not falling off and there are gaps that are very obvious without green stuff, just like there are on some plastic models. I never timed how long a Dakini took to build but I didn't much enjoy however long I spent (I curse you 0.5 mm bit!) while I quite enjoy multi part plastic kits (very subjective of course).

Stability and heft:

There are some bad plastic here, like the Pink Horror standard bearer, but I find that a Wyrd plastic human(oid) on a 30 mm base is very stable, I don't know but those extra 5 mm diameter seems to do a lot. Also I guess a thin Wyrd human weights less than the base :P, giving it a very low centre of gravity. Some metals are bad too though, you don't want to place Captain Shrike on uneven terrain... Or the original Swooping Hawk exarch with his ginormous metal wings. So I think stability depends more on design than material. There was a point, when plastic really started replacing metal in 40k, when I missed the heft of metal, but now I don't think about it, probably because I have a so little metal left in active service (again very subjective).

Lets instead compare with an Infinity Dakini or something, I'll sit here and giggle while you throw that at a wall.

I've managed, in pain, to glue the daiks together. I took a boot to the Viktorias plastics when attempting to glue them. I am not exagerrating, they were that bad to put together. The lilith kit was improvement on it, but sadly the new models lack any sort of detail comparable to the old Klocke/Muller sculpts, so they too are resigned to limbo of "can't care enough to paint them". Hans was easy enough to put together, but his legs were as long as his head and torso put together and the back of his head snapped off the sprue when I picked it up and haven't been seen since...and since it's not metal that can be cast to order, i can't get a replacement. The Strongarm suit is the best of the ones i had so far, and even that had the frankly awful pipes that broke when removed from sprue and shallow, almost melty details. There's just not enough definition on the plastic kits I thinl- they're either too smooth or too flat.

The plastics are lighter than the metals and dont' need pinning on large pieces, that's about all the advantage.

I've managed, in pain, to glue the daiks together. I took a boot to the Viktorias plastics when attempting to glue them. I am not exagerrating, they were that bad to put together. The lilith kit was improvement on it, but sadly the new models lack any sort of detail comparable to the old Klocke/Muller sculpts, so they too are resigned to limbo of "can't care enough to paint them". Hans was easy enough to put together, but his legs were as long as his head and torso put together and the back of his head snapped off the sprue when I picked it up and haven't been seen since...and since it's not metal that can be cast to order, i can't get a replacement. The Strongarm suit is the best of the ones i had so far, and even that had the frankly awful pipes that broke when removed from sprue and shallow, almost melty details. There's just not enough definition on the plastic kits I thinl- they're either too smooth or too flat.

The plastics are lighter than the metals and dont' need pinning on large pieces, that's about all the advantage.

The Hired Sword box I thought was very straight forward to put together. Sure there are some three parts that need to line up assemblies, but I've never found that hard to manage with plastic glue, I find it much more trying to do with super glue.

What are Klocke/Muller sculpts?

Not sure what the complaint is with Hans' legs, from the unboxing pics he looks close to the average human proportions, i.e. 5 heads to waist, 2 heads torso, 1 head head.

What are Klocke/Muller sculpts?

Werner Klocke and Paul Muller are famous sculptors who did some of the Wyrd metals.

Werner Klocke is most famous for his work done for Reaper and Freebooter's Fate. He has a very distinctive style of making female minis ("Klockenbooty") and especially their faces.

Paul Muller has done work for GW, Otherworld and Heresy, for example. He also has a very distinctive style and probably most well-known for his work on monstrous humanoids who have this certain look to them with lots of skin folds. A bit hard to explain, but once you know his style, you can recognize his work rather easily.

He sculpted, among other things, the old metal Sybelle. But his style is most evident in, e.g., the metal Silurids.

• Like 1

It's surprising but you can make some damn good models out of metal that mask that "chunky metal look"... metal age Sue is fantastic.

With 11-15 piece gremlins and 50+ piece kits in the form of whiskey golem and powerfist hannah (like... my god) plus the fact that you should be pinning their feet anyway.. the plastic kits are out of the world difficult...

In fact, I just listened to the new Malifools and they were talking about putting a disclaimer on the plasti-kits warning that these are "advanced kits" or of a higher difficulty level to put together in order to not dissuade new modelers from the hobby. That is a great point.

We definently need more plasti-stalker kits and absolutely no more plasti-hannahs. But that was a great point and that should definently be considered.

No control of production in terms of sprue design is really my only major complaint about Wyrd - so I can deal if needed but it would still be a good advantage for newer gamers. A lot of the people who walk by while you are playing probably have no idea how much of a pain it was to put those models together... they look great to attract but then actually assembling could drive people away for good.

I'm too much of a sucker to just stop buying but you know... think of the more sensible people, please. ;)

Heads should be one piece, gremlins should have feet attached, Yan Lo's beard... yeah.

• Like 1

It's surprising but you can make some damn good models out of metal that mask that "chunky metal look"... metal age Sue is fantastic.

With 11-15 piece gremlins and 50+ piece kits in the form of whiskey golem and powerfist hannah (like... my god) plus the fact that you should be pinning their feet anyway.. the plastic kits are out of the world difficult...

Sue is not the chunkiest Wyrd metal but he is still chunky in my book. He is certainly not a model that would pull me into Malifaux like the plastic kits did. Some Infinity metals are not that chunky, but they are multipart.

Turns out Whiskey Golem is 68 pieces, poor Hannah is only second best.

No need to pin feet if you use plastic inserts.

I miss the character of the old metal sculpts. I miss the variety of sculptors (Werner, Muller, Kev Adams). I miss the sweet paintjobs.

I see many of the plastics to be lackluster, and too similar. Some tall figure with a big swooping cloak that comes to a point on one side, miss scaled figs etc.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some plastics I thought were cool, mainly the early TT, but about the time the plastics came out I unfortunately lost my love and desire to collect and paint Malifaux minis and it wasn't because of the material. It's unfortunate, but I understand. Small boutique mini company hits it big with a fun new game and has to keep up with releases and  demand to stay relevant. Unfortunately I feel the increased supply has reduced quality and creative output. No studio paintjobs are a bummer as well.

Again, I understand all the things I feel create awesomeness create logistical nightmares and smaller margins for the company, but I wish Wyrd would try and get back to some of the things that got this company started and drew me back into the hobby with that original Perdita sculpt back in 2008. Fun minis by top sculptors painted by awesome artists. I frankly don't care about what material they are cast in, metal, plastic, resin, bubblegum, whatever.

Maybe instead of a big hunk of colored plastic LE during Gencon, they could do a limited run of a character with a featured sculptor (Miss demeanor was cool, not a huge fan of the sculpt but the idea was there), or finally produce some character busts I've been begging for years.

I think Wyrd does a lot of cool things like online LE sales during Gencon, tourney and LGS support, so please don't take this post as Wyrd sucks. Quite the contrary. Just miss the good old days I guess. :D

I miss the character of the old metal sculpts. I miss the variety of sculptors (Werner, Muller, Kev Adams). I miss the sweet paintjobs.

I see many of the plastics to be lackluster, and too similar. Some tall figure with a big swooping cloak that comes to a point on one side, miss scaled figs etc.

That's what we've been talking about a lot in our meta as well. I think it's exactly that, they miss character. 

• Like 1

The original Seamus is still the best version. The plastic doesn't come close.

And how. Pretty much all the masters are worse in plastic. Wyrd's sculptors stopped exaggerating facial features (or not enough to account for plastic shrinkage), so you end up with the same copy-paste faces across the line. Look at the multiplart sprue's. Everyone has the same boring flat affect facial expression with a nonexistant nose and a slit for a mouth. Hair/fur and lots of cloth detail on plastic is particularly soft due to weak undercuts. 

Plastic is far better to assemble, aside from the lightweight material leading to some poor design choices that wouldnt have been made in metal or with a real sculpt vs CAD render (Hanging trees ropes which are broken before you take them off the sprue). And it takes paints better, provided you only use glazes to account for the soft detail. Its great for grunts and big things, but for medium masters or henchmen, the detail on the best metal sculpts beat the pants off the best plastics. 

Better still would be resin, but that ship has sailed. At least I managed to snag most of the metal line so I can pick and choose which sculpts end up being better. 

• Like 2

Sue is not the chunkiest Wyrd metal but he is still chunky in my book. He is certainly not a model that would pull me into Malifaux like the plastic kits did. Some Infinity metals are not that chunky, but they are multipart.

The thing is, models like that look good on the table in  play because you can actually see detail and facial features.  CAD truescales mostly look good when blown up to 10 times their size on a computer monitor or held 4 inches in front of your face. 

• Like 1