Thinking of starting Gremlins....

D6Damager

Hello All,

Thinking of starting Gremlins as my first faction as I really like the new models and they seem like they might be amusing to play. My question is: Are they actually effective or just played "for funsies"?

Is there an overview of the faction's strengths and weaknesses somewhere?

They are tremendously effective with a deep gameplay.

Their definite advantage is the sheer amount of AP they have available. Gremlins tend towards cheaper models (though they do have very elite ones as well) and most have access to 3 AP at the cost of some wounds. This means that you can be extremely mobile and surprisingly destructive.

To compensate this, Gremlins tend to be on the squishy side and their raw stats are usually a bit on the low side.

Welcome to the bayou! We've got moonshine.

When I started in v1 of Malifaux, I began with Ophelia, and absolutely LOVED the fact that I got funny AND effective. Malifaux 2E has just began to open up the options for people who like the obviously superior faction ^_^

The listings above are excellent options.

Personal Preference on where you should start:

The Kin Boxset

The Bayou Boss Boxset

The Swamp Hag Boxset 

I should preface this by saying I didn't come up with it, but here is the math as it was given to me.

8/9/10

Ml6 ram with critical strike and 2/3/4 track means he's an auto 3/4/5

Flip or cheat a ram and he's 4/5/6

Add Lenny within 3" and he's 5/6/7

Use Somers do it like dis with a ram within 8" and he's 6/7/8

Do that again twice with skeeters and he's 8/9/10

I should preface this by saying I didn't come up with it, but here is the math as it was given to me.

8/9/10

Ml6 ram with critical strike and 2/3/4 track means he's an auto 3/4/5

Flip or cheat a ram and he's 4/5/6

Add Lenny within 3" and he's 5/6/7

Use Somers do it like dis with a ram within 8" and he's 6/7/8

Do that again twice with skeeters and he's 8/9/10

Why stop there? I mean you can summon more Skeeters and you can kill a load of bayou gremlins to have Som'er draw enough cards (it's rather card intensive to start with so may have to do that anyway). :P

I did a breakdown back in October of the UK tournament scene, podium placings by faction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qJSPNcfVVPsz2mAuAX6Hl2wsp9wmXvYaN7wj_vD5O3s/edit#gid=0

I think it definitely shows Gremlins can be effective. I may go back later and add the rest of the years results and also a breakdown of how many of each faction were taken to all events, but I predict it will show that Gremlins were one of the lesser used factions meaning more wins per player

Thanks for all the advice and I have read up on all the Gremlin info on the wiki. One thing the strategy guides don't really do and maybe people here could help me with is talk about which master is best for which strategy and scheme?

Ophelia is a bit obvious to me as she straight up shoots things, Wong seems similar tasked just with more AoE,  but Somer looks like he can be built a few different ways and Brewmaster has the control bubble thing. When would you want to take each Master vs. the other?

A few more questions in no particular order:

What are bad match-ups for Gremlins?

What is a typical 50ss Somer summoning list look like?

Personal Opinion time:

The core three I look at are S'omer, Ophelia, and Grem-raida. S'omer's big metaphorical stick is that he's a generalist: He does a lot of strats and schemes okay (with the emphasis on Interaction ones since he's a summoner.)

Ophelia and Wong are the Turf War masters against small numbered crews and big numbered crews respectively.

Grem-raida and Brewmaster are the movement/ interaction masters. If it involves people getting somewhere, they're your choice. Brewie helps with crews with a lot of AP to spend given his lockdown abilities.

I would offer my typical 50SS Som'er list as I think it does a lot really well;

Gremlins Crew - 50 - Scrap

Somer Teeth Jones -- 4 Pool
+Encouragement [2]
+Family Tree [2]
+Pig Feed [1]

• Skeeter X 2 [4]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Bayou Gremlin [3]
  • Francois LaCroix [7]
    +Quality Mash Liquor [2]
  • Lenny [9]
    +I'll Love it and Pet it... [1]
  • Piglet [4]
  • Piglet [4]
  • Slop Hauler [5]

You can trade out Upgrades on Som'er and Francois to tailor to your play style. I typically rotate between Pig Feed or Can o' Beans on Som'er and Quality Mash Liquor or Dirty Cheater and Stilts on Francois.

Didn't wanted to create a new thread since my question fits here quite well imo.

I got myself a box of Som'er a while ago (just for Johanna though) but never played it so far ... heck, it's not even assembled yet :wacko:

However, with the release of Ophelia I'm considering getting a bit deeper into the faction. Probably a box of Ophelia and the new plastic Slop Haulers for a solid start.

That said, I'm not sure how many Bayou Gremlins would be necessary, especially when playing a So'mer summoner list sometimes. Will I get away with an additional box of 4 of them, or will I probably need way more than that?

I'm considering getting myself a second copy of the So'mer box for an additional pair of Skeeters (beside the Bayou Gremlins) too, but I don't know what to do with that additional Lenny and So'mer then though. Any ideas for conversions?

Thanks a lot ^_^

Yeah they're both pretty tough to convert, true. It's no big deal having a few spare ones I guess though ;)

However back to the Bayou Gremlins, what's a good number to have? I'm not sure if 8 will be enough.

Another question I'm currently unsure about: in a summoning heavy So'mer list a second Slop Hauler seems like a nice addition. However spending 10 SS just for them isn't cheap either.

So is 1 of them enough, or would 2 just be as reasonable? Any experiences about that issue?

personally think 8 bayou gremlins is enough. I usually start with 3 and summon 3 more first turn. I find they just die so easily that I rarely have more than 6 on the board. Also really like Somer blasting away stuff :D which starts to slow down my summoning on later turns. 

While the healing from slop haulers is amazing, don't underestimate their attacks and triggers. While I would like 2 in some of my lists, can't think of anything I would drop for an extra one. 

The best model for me for Old Cranky conversions is one of the old metal Young Lacroix (Justin's Avatar pic). I scuffed up the hat a bit, Greenstuffed a long beard on him, and gave him a shotgun instead of the pistol (TtB weapon sprue to the rescue!) I also made a Mancha out of Metal Lenny (with STOOOOPID patience to switch the log with a Bayou Gremlin). If I remember right, the log piece on plastic Lenny is seperate, so it'd be super easier to use him.

When I run S'omer, I tend to go "sort of Summoning" which is where he works for me. In that instance, having 8 Bayou Gremlins and having 1 Slop Hauler works pretty dang ol awesome.

I played my first game with Ophélia in a 2vs2 game (with 35ss for each player).

I enjoyed the game but I found ophelia a bit boring to play (reckless + shoot). The others masters I play are lucius, seamus and nicodem and I have fun with them.

Is ophelia only straightforward or there is some hidden subtlety in her gameplay ?