The 5 or so models you never use

4thstringer

So I took some time to think about what my answer would be

1. Governors proxy- I just can't see how this would be a useful model

2. Brutal effigy- since I mostly play Lucius giving me stuff for damaging with my master isn't helpful.

3. Guardian- I don't really like the model, and guild never feels like fragility is the problem.

4. Lone Marshall- doesn't fit my playstyle,

5. Exorcist- unless I know I am facing Kirai, seems fairly lackluster. 

I don't think that there is anything that is so garbage that I would swear I would never use it. I might be able to say I would never use model X if I was playing master Y.....but I think if anyone is making the judgement that they just flat out would never use a certain model then they're making a mistake. M2E is far too young....the majority of combos have yet to be explored (especially with the 2nd book just released).

If you hate the look of a model, that's different....like part of the Guardian comment above (though yes, some Guild can be quite fragile......I often wish I had one when Sonnia takes a Corphee Duet to the face).

For every model someone says is no good, three people will respond about how good it did something for them. (I can see uses for all the models listed in the one comment above).

• Like 1

Do you find it's much better than a(nother) guild guard? :)

It depends a bit on how much I'm building into the whole Guard/Sergeant/Rifleman/Dashel chain, but he compares really well to the standard Guard.  I don't have the base Guard card in front of me right now, but its something like the same defensive stats as a Guard with a partner + Hard to Kill.  Finish the Job and a similar offensive output with an unlikely chance to hand out Slow makes him really really good in my book.  Honestly, if he wasn't Rare 1, I'd consider saying Guild Guard in my list here.

EDIT: Now that I've compared the cards again....

The extra speed is another factor, though the Guard's push can help with an anti-scheme strategy.  Halt is certainly more reliably than the Slow as well, but not as powerful.  

My problem with the Guardian stems from the fact that he doesn't necessarily make you more resilient, which he used to -- he just increases your effective chances of being more resilient. Defensive +2 certainly is a good condition, but it doesn't increase the upper ceiling of your defensive capability so much as make it easier to reach it, which makes him feel extremely lackluster for an 8 point model for me.

Fixed that for you :D

I want you to know that I have her.  The limited edition alt sculpt that was available for Black Friday last year?  Totally have her.  In the package.  Unbuilt, unpainted, unloved.  I refuse to ever sell it and trade it, and my living will contains an ironclad clause to ensure that she is melted to slag and tossed unceremoniously into a dumpster upon my expiration.

• Like 1

I can never see myself using the following

Governor's Proxy (Most of the other totems are more useful to their Masters)

Lone Marshall (Expensive and boring model)

Brutal Effigy (Purely because I have better objective runners)

Pathfinder & Traps (Don't like the model although maybe one day I'll get one...maybe)

Abuela Ortega (Never used her, don't see myself needing anything she brings to the table)

It depends a bit on how much I'm building into the whole Guard/Sergeant/Rifleman/Dashel chain, but he compares really well to the standard Guard.  I don't have the base Guard card in front of me right now, but its something like the same defensive stats as a Guard with a partner + Hard to Kill.  Finish the Job and a similar offensive output with an unlikely chance to hand out Slow makes him really really good in my book.  Honestly, if he wasn't Rare 1, I'd consider saying Guild Guard in my list here.

EDIT: Now that I've compared the cards again....

The extra speed is another factor, though the Guard's push can help with an anti-scheme strategy.  Halt is certainly more reliably than the Slow as well, but not as powerful.  

I kind of figured the speed and causing slow were the main draw. I'd say in a vacuum he's better, but the Guild Guards are more synergistic unless Fear not the Sword is working for you. For example, if you're taking a couple of Guild Guards already I'd be more inclined to add another one over the effigy purely for redundancy with Patrol.

Speaking of Dashel, I don't have a list of things I never use, but he's certainly on my list of things I'm frequently disappointed in. I think he's too much support in a support heavy crew that could do with something to shore up their weaknesses instead. Any time I take him I find myself wishing for something to get my guards out of combat or fight for them, or even just more disposable guardsmen.

I did use him in a henchmen game the other day though, and that was a pleasant surprise. I think it was cause my list naturally centred on him and followed him around, rather than part of them standing in a corner hoping to gank something at range before dying in melee.

For every model someone says is no good, three people will respond about how good it did something for them

This is the great thing about threads like this and I wouldn't be surprised if creating productive discussion on lesser-loved models was the OP's original intent (a part from subverting the fashion of course ;))

P.S. Someone please teach me how quoting/copy-pasting works on this site! I can never get either to work!

• Like 2

My problem with the Guardian stems from the fact that he doesn't necessarily make you more resilient, which he used to -- he just increases your effective chances of being more resilient. Defensive +2 certainly is a good condition, but it doesn't increase the upper ceiling of your defensive capability so much as make it easier to reach it, which makes him feel extremely lackluster for an 8 point model for me.

It does make you far more likely to get a higher total first forcing the opponent to cheat first. This means that, unless there is huge disparity in the caliber of your hands, that your opponent will land only one blow. I love the Guardian (and think that the mini is ace!) and find it really good at keeping, e.g., Francisco alive.

Abuela Ortega (Never used her, don't see myself needing anything she brings to the table)

Have you taken a good look at her? Her gun is more devastating than Seamus', she is nicely mobile, hands out AP(!) and messes up enemy charging. And her defensive stats are nice enough. Oh, and she fully provides all the suits she needs. She is an absolutely amazing model for just seven SS!

As for my list:

1) Governor's Proxy (not good enough, I think)

2) Lone Marshall (not inspiring and not very good)

...and that's essentially it. From a play perspective, I can see a good use for all other Guild models. Which speaks very highly to the quality of the balance in M2e.

• Like 1

Speaking of Dashel, I don't have a list of things I never use, but he's certainly on my list of things I'm frequently disappointed in. I think he's too much support in a support heavy crew that could do with something to shore up their weaknesses instead. Any time I take him I find myself wishing for something to get my guards out of combat or fight for them, or even just more disposable guardsmen.

If you are referring to a Lucius crew then Beckoners are the way to get Guardsmen out of a fight. Just Lure them :)

Failing that send in a Warden or Two after the enemy have activated and watch the fun!  :D

Have you taken a good look at her? Her gun is more devastating than Seamus', she is nicely mobile, hands out AP(!) and messes up enemy charging. And her defensive stats are nice enough. Oh, and she fully provides all the suits she needs. She is an absolutely amazing model for just seven SS!

Listen to the absolute undeniable truth! Abuela is awesomeness in a can on sale!

For the Guardian: While this is true (and I do love the mini for him!) the feeling that damage isn't so much mitigated as given a higher chance for avoidance makes me worried about whether the eight stones are really worth it for the model. I'd really have to play with it some more to finish off my opinion, but he IS really nice as a tar pit that's almost impossible to disengage from without blowing a lot of useful resources. Then again, his ability to force friendlies out of melee with that trigger on his shield is pretty sweet looking so... time to give him more playtime and find out, I guess.

As for the Lone Marshal, I largely agree. It felt like they wanted to make the Riders are more distinct existence but they couldn't just keep Trick Shooting on the Pale Rider so they threw it as a castoff ability onto another model, put a few useful but not incredible defensive abilities onto him, and then called it a day. The combination of high mobility -and- shooting capacity is nice, but his shooting ability isn't particularly exceptional in a faction that can field terrors like multiple Austringers. I do want to put him on the table once or twice just because his model is sweet, though. Maybe he's more useful as a flanker on earlier turns and an objective grabber on later turns than I thought?

Edit: And I'm more than happy to be wrong! :o I primarily play Guild, so if I'm missing anything about just how good these models are then I'd love to know to improve my own play.

• Like 1

I've played the Lone Marshal a handful of times, hes generally OK.  Very self-sufficient model, doesn't need any support to do what he does.

He matches up well against a couple of enemy minions, and then go off to scheme.  He's not enough of a target to really dedicate resources to stopping him, but he can do a moderate amount of damage and generally be a pain.  Something like Power Ritual, where you know your opponent is going to send some cheap minions to a corner.  He can dispatch them no problem, and then go get your Power Ritual markers or plant some explosives.

I'd say he's maybe a stone overcosted, but he has his uses. 

• Like 3

For the Guardian: While this is true (and I do love the mini for him!) the feeling that damage isn't so much mitigated as given a higher chance for avoidance makes me worried about whether the eight stones are really worth it for the model. I'd really have to play with it some more to finish off my opinion, but he IS really nice as a tar pit that's almost impossible to disengage from without blowing a lot of useful resources. Then again, his ability to force friendlies out of melee with that trigger on his shield is pretty sweet looking so... time to give him more playtime and find out, I guess.

Oh, Witchling Handler and the Guardian is a match made in heaven! She deals heavy damage but her defense is just her high stat - a perfect target for the Guardian. And on the other side, her Burn Them, Burn Them All! makes the Guardian's damage track far nicer. Heck, Shield Press does an automatic one damage + Burning on a Crow.

My mate asked me to use one of his guild crews last night got to say lone marshal was quality almost impossible to pin down gets to move and make what is basically a focussed shooting attack if required. Good speed as well. Just send him after scheme runners he'll clean up then head up the table to complete some schemes.