Malifaux 2.0 Through the breach transcript highlights

But no Book 2 masters until 2014? Madness!

No bebbe, December 2013.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-01-2013 at 11:44 PM ----------

There are new classes of model, this has a number of rules around them (including the number of upgrade slots):

Masters (3) - all get 3 action points

Henchmen (2) - models like The Judge and Sybelle are now henchmen

Enforcers (2) - models like the Executioner and the Ice Golem

Minion (1) - most models in the game

Peons (0) - Insignificant

Are Minions and Peons going to get a built in walk action?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably doesn't bode well when you read a list and say "that's stupid" 3 or 4 times...

It helps when you realise they are probably not the only changes and that there probably balanced by other rules and the sky really isn't falling...

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Are Minions and Peons going to get a built in walk action?

Why would they?

Strategies are now all shared and there's less to pick from (but better balanced).

this...is exactly the oposite direction from which they should go. the relative scarcity of strategies and the tendency of them to be shared is already a problem, so lets make it worse!

I think it sounds pretty good actually. With the new strategies being in the Gaining Ground style they should be a lot more balanced than the ones in the book and let's be honest, winning the game in turn one isn't that much fun, yet some crews could do that. As for them being shared, we pretty much always do that anyway. The individual aspect comes with the schemes and with each scheme being worth up to 4 and the strategy still only being 4 there will actually be more points available through individual objectives than before. Besides, that's only for the standard encounter section. There is also going to be a narrative encounter section with a lot more additional stuff. Most(all?) the other strategies, asymmetric games, ways to link games, etc.

The CA value is now built into spells rather than being a specific stat. Adds more variety to abilities and combined with soul stone change helps make the game more balanced.

so, what? the spellcasting models are less equipped compared to melee models? the vagueness here is worrying.

I don't understand why you think they will be less equipped. In the interview one of the examples given was Belles with Lure. Currently they need a special rule to be better at casting Lure. In the future they can just have a higher casting stat for that spell. Its no different from models having different CB for their different weapons. Just means they can show you being good at one spell without having to invent a special rule for that.

I think it sounds pretty good actually.

Indeed. The new strategies and how models accomplish them sound far more intriguing to me than just having a longer list of them. And the generated Scheme pool? ****ing brilliant.

And Justin keeps talking about asymmetrical play, which makes me want to fistbump him so hard his knuckles explode. In a good way.

Wow, giant reading misfire on my part.

You ain't the only one! I herped when I should have derped!

I'm really excited for this. The game for our play group was a bit out of hand. So people just stopped playing. I love everything about this game but was done when I took one look at Mei Fengs stat card. My brain essploded!!

From what I've heard so far is all positive. I love the direction the game it's headed in.

Just not a fan of buying faction decks. I play masters, not factions so this could get expensive for me and I'll have extra card I probably won't use.

So I'm a little confused. What happens to the existing models that have current rules, are not in "phase 1" but are scheduled for "phase 2"? Do we just have to suck it up and not play with half of our collections for six months? What happens if a new player only has one or two crews and they are in phase 2? Cut them out of the game for six months and expect them to come back?

Edited by Twisted Metal

So I'm a little confused. What happens to the existing models that have current rules, are not in "phase 1" but are scheduled for "phase 2"? Do we just have to suck it up and not play with half of our collections for six months? What happens if a new player only has one or two crews and they are in phase 2? Cut them out of the game for six months and expect them to come back?

The gap between the First and second phase looks to be less than 3 1/2 months.

we'll have the book 1 finished product and, in september, the beta versions of everything else. Pretty sure we'll be playing with our full collections (in beta stages at least) without much pause.

According to the Podcasts the first Open Beta is June to mid July(ish) with that stuff then released in August at Gencon, then 2nd Open beta in September with everything not in the first. Then in 2014 Malifaux 2 will officially start. So yes there will be about 3 months that some crews can't be used in V2, but thats all before there is a V2.

You can still Play Malifaux 1, and as I see it tournement games will still be V1 this year. What you want to do with friends between June and September is up to you

Hi all,

I just listened to the main part of the podcast and gathered these notes for my local area then thought others might benefit. They are scattered around other threads but hope this is useful in one place. Will update with corrections/additions if people let me know!

Thank you so much for doing this! I really dislike podcasts (they take something like ten minutes to convey the information that in written form could be relayed in a minute or so) and it seems that most of Malifaux news are nowadays distributed through those.

Pre-measuring is in.

Ah, something that I've been wanting for Malifaux since the beginning (meaning the original playtest).

Models can buy upgrades now. Some upgrades are abilities they had in V1.5, some are new. The closest thing to this currently is the Lucas treasure rule in book 4.

This is probably the only thing I'm worried about. Such things tend to be extremely difficult to balance properly and most of the time lead to lots of no-brainer "choices". OTOH Lucas does have several valid load outs, so I guess there is hope.

Spells still have a target number, but otherwise are opposed dual like melee and ranged attacks now.

Ah, another thing I've mentioned a couple of times. A very good change!

Red Joker on damage now does Severe + weak damage. Red Joker prevents opponent from cheating when used!

Hooray! I feel vindicated!

Soulstones work quite differently, key changes are they they give +ve filps or suits rather than adding a card to duel totals. They cannot be used for healing anymore! Word is still outstanding on how Molly and Von Schill have taken the news. You can also now use a stone in the draw phase to draw and discard an extra 2 cards.

Ah, again a very good change.

Avatars all manifest in the same way now, and can turn back later in the game as they take damage. Possibly they may only be used in 40SS games - not confirmed.

This is something that I hadn't considered, but I very much like the sound of it.

Strategies are now all shared and there's less to pick from (but better balanced).

Schemes are now worth more VPS however, up to 4. Unannounced are worth 3 so more viable. These are however chosen from a scheme pool that is a sub-set of the complete set - no more taking sabotage every game!

Scheme markers are now generic counters generated in game using action points - wherever you like. You can't tell what they are for unless your opponent has revealed their scheme so you can drop them slightly randomly to confuse your opponent as to what your real schemes are.

Sounds great!

All in all, astoundingly enough, all the changes bar one seem to be stuff that I've either suggested or that I approve of heartily. Very excited!

Now all I want is a way to pass the turn if the opponent has more models and I'm as happy as can be.

P.S. what's with the gazillion font and colour tags in the OP?

Schemes are now worth more VPS however, up to 4. Unannounced are worth 3 so more viable. These are however chosen from a scheme pool that is a sub-set of the complete set - no more taking sabotage every game!

Can somebody who listened to the podcast enlighten me about this scheme pool thing? I can't really understand what does this would like to mean.

Opposite for me, I really abhor that pre-measuring will be in the game. This is a game where it is high risk for high reward, when you miss that charge, or cast that spell and lost that AP because you guessed range wrong, it can swing a game. Losing that loses a large part of the game imo.

Pre-measuring is a good move, it levels the playing field between those that are really good at guessing range and those that aren't. Also it removes the frustration that occurs when you fail a charge by half an inch and then lose your model because they are high and dry.

Can somebody who listened to the podcast enlighten me about this scheme pool thing? I can't really understand what does this would like to mean.

There will be 17 distinct schemes. However, for each game you randomly determine 5 of those, which are the only ones available to BOTH players. That means you will have to take schemes you maybe don't always take, no more Bodyguard/Sabotage or Breakthrough/Kidnap every game. It also makes it more of a mind game to have unannounced schemes, since if you were picking from 17 you basically have no idea, but with knowing the list of 5 you can make some guesses and try to deduce from the opponent's actions what he took.

I'm glad they are changing up how the schemes worked. I believe it's something that needed to happen. This is definitely a change that will make the game better. Seems like making unannounced schemes viable is a great idea too.

Yeah, I am super excited about that part. They also mentioned something that makes schemes really interesting to me. All schemes that use Interact use generic Scheme Markers that any model can drop as a 1 action. So Power Ritual is "get markers in 4 corners", breakthrough is "get 3 markers in your opponents deploy zone" etc. But models can drop those markers even if you didn't take the scheme.

So you have a guy go drop a marker, now your opponent has to decide if you are just bluffing to draw him out, or whether you're doing Breakthrough, or the one where you need to get markers near opponents models. Does he go over there to interfere or is he walking into a trap, or are you just wasting his time with bluffs?