Clockwork Traps

Ryu

Who loves 'em? Man these little things are so amazing! In a hilarious game last night 6ss worth of traps tied down Rasputina for most of the game - when she finally got free McCabe placed two more right next to her.

I often find that the mere threat of a primed trap is enough to keep most opponents away (except that darned Corphyee duet and her/its Wk of 9).

Edited by Ryu
Grammar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm yet to try them as I'm waiting for the official release. Really looking forward to them though, for McCabe and mei feng in particular, but also for Leveticus . Frankly my TT could benefit from another couple of cheap models.

Line in the Sand. Doesn't matter if it's you or your opponent playing it, those little buggers will save you a lot of hassle.

"Go on. Try and get close to that marker. I dare you. I double-dare you."

Nice.

As I said in another thread, I'm disappointed in how they're being officially released, though. Only one Pathfinder sculpt, and he comes with 4 Traps, for $21. So if we get one, we're short 2 traps. If we buy two, we have 2 extras. And both our Pathfinders will look the same. Sure, we can convert / proxy, but we can't get a 2nd card for the Pathfinder without buying a 2nd one, since the online store is years out of date on stat cards. There's just no winning.

The war store listed them as 1 pathfinder and 7 traps to a box...Don't know if it has changed recently, but that was 3 weeks ago that there were 7 traps to a box.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Nevermind, rechecked and it originally was 4 traps. my bad.

I was just thinking that some Traps would be great for guarding the Archers, since you pretty much never want those guys in melee. Three of them could lock down a pretty wide line of assault, and six might be able to form a full perimeter around Archers if McCabe takes them.

But yeah, the way they're being packaged is odd. I kinda figured they would come in their own box of three, which would be most convenient for everyone involved. Packaging them with the Pathfinder, a Guild-only model, isn't terribly convenient for 10T players. Packaging them four at a time isn't convenient for anybody, as previously pointed out. We'll probably be seeing a few extra traps on ebay or something.

Well while the Pathfinder is a Guild only model, McCabe can use them even when he is being played as a 10T master. So I have no problem with him being with the traps despite not playing Guild. I have been playing around with the notion of using them with him in 10T just to get the model count up as taking one Pathfinder gives you 3 models effectively for 2ss apiece. Makes me feel alot better about then taking some 6ss or more models as I feel I won't be entirely out activated initially.

But ya, part of me would have been happier had it been one pathfinder and 3 traps for a little less price wise. I am sure though with a couple guild players in our group and myself for 10T we will be able to figure something out.

Where I'm from, Wyrd's $21 usually equates to between $16.99 and $18.99 CAD. I'm happy with the price. I am also content on scratch building an extra 2-3 traps for when I want a lot of them. But, it would have been nice for the kit to cost a couple dollars more and come with two different Pathfinders.

I've had a great idea for a proxy / conversion for a second pathfinder, but won't be able to field it with a real card any time soon. Same goes for the proxy traps I already have, that I just need to add steel tentacles to.

Plastics were supposed to cut costs, but we're still seeing a price creep. If this plastic can be reused to cut costs, I'd be fine with plastic models in the old blisters and crew boxes, so that they could melt down and reuse the sprues. That's already what happens with pewter in spin molding. Break 'em off, toss the sprue in a pile, melt the pile, make more models.

Plastics were supposed to cut costs, but we're still seeing a price creep. .

No it wasn't........they never claimed that. It was going to help them to not do a drastic price increase since they haven't done a price increase in years and the cost of metal was making it so they were virtually giving the models away at cost. They're some of the cheapest models around..........Izamu is about twice as much model as the Blessed of December but for less cost.

The msrp is 48% higher than their wholesale cost, that they get to set. How's that giving anything away?

A three pack of models, with 3 bases and 3 stat cards was $18. Now it's $21. [Ronin vs Metal Gamin, as just one set of examples.] As one of the last off the metal line, though, Gupps, 3 ht 1 models, on one 40mm base, with one stat card is also $18.

Izamu, being plastic, might as well be a hollow chocolate easter bunny compared to Blessed's solid pewter.

The msrp is 48% higher than their wholesale cost, that they get to set. How's that giving anything away?

They set their wholesale cost to cover their costs and a little extra. The msrp takes into account the cut the store takes, and the (massive) cut the distributor takes. I've spoken to someone running a mini company about this stuff before, selling an item for twice what it costs you to make actually results in you getting very little back. They most likely don't get anything remotely close to that 48% back from sales (that don't come directly from their website) becuase of all of the downstream stuff.

And, just a note for those of you who may not have noticed, Traps are Rare 3. So even having 4 of them is a little overboard unless you're doing big brawls.

If the crew includes McCabe or a Pathfinder, they jump to Rare 6, so yes, having six can be desirable (especially if you are playing McCabe and want to pay for some and then utilize his Trap Stash).

The traps are boss. The end!

They can use a (0) action to prime themselves and try and paralyze anything that comes into their range - if they succeed then the trap dies (sacrifices itself to be 100% accurate). They only have 3 HP but they're Immune to Influence, have a high defense for a 2ss model and are tiny so ranged attacks take a negative flip. They've also got a weak attack, though I think bash damage is better; though with a worse cb.

Traps can also deploy From the Shadows when hired. Guild Pathfinders and Dismounted McCabe also have trap stashes, and they can place up to two traps (it's a summon, and takes a 1 action but no counters are needed).

Super nice models for 2ss and they can tie up a lot of resources if you play them well.