Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- March

prof_bycid

1 hour ago, prof_bycid said:

@RustAndTheCity  No problem.  The models will count for the months you finish them in though.  Sound fair?

That's no problem. Other commitments sometimes get in the way. As with the last challenge, I'll post up what I finish at the end of the month.

I finished my guild hounds. Next I'm going to paint Lady J and Luna. :-)

I am adding a "bonus model" to my March pledge, just because i just found it, and it lines up thematically with my March push to work on Raspy support models.  This proxy wendigo model really appeals to me for some reason.  I think it really has the native North American wendigo spirit vibe, and I love it.  It is part of the Dark Heaven line.  Sorry for the terrible no-contract background.  I need to get back on the building of a photo booth.

large.Mar2017_bonus_DHWendigo.jpg.82ef9b98312e6c0d7791bfb61db7cfce.jpg

Edited by prof_bycid
because grammar
  • Like 4

Hello

More WIP! Just a picture of the work I've done on the coat and the trousers:

20170307_004407_zpszyke1ji1.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the picture. I definitely need my wife to buy me a portable studio ;)

Edit: 
@klatschi I like how you do the gremlin skin tone. How do you paint it? It goes well with the purple you used for that big bayou gremlin hat.

• Like 7

Hey there! 

This is so far my progress for March. I'm still missing the steam trunk to finish the models I said; as I have enough time I'll paint the ice golem plus three ice gamins, pictures will be posted!

Comments and critics are more than welcome! 

Marzo_1.jpg
Marzo_2.jpg

• Like 9

@Chou Love them! The one thing I'll say is that adding just a touch of white or a much lighter color into the upper left/right side of a lens gives it a much more eye-drawing look than just the flat color; you don't have to go full jewel, but a bit of glint makes it more interesting.

And it could be that you did that already - given the level of highlighting I wouldn't be surprised - but I can't see it in those pictures.

So I got my Oiran and Lelu & Lilitu boxes today and... the naginata Oiran is missing her face. And she's my favorite one. I mean, I was adding the fan Oiran to my Showgirls stage anyway (a less obvious weapon), but darnit, I really wanted to paint her. Time to send a mispack request to the overlords.

I think I'm going to do something a little crazy and try for a transparent/wet dress look on Lilitu. It's clingy enough that it looks like it COULD be sopping wet. Now, to figure out the proper color to blend with the purplish skin tone I've decided on for my Nephilim...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

@Chou Love them! The one thing I'll say is that adding just a touch of white or a much lighter color into the upper left/right side of a lens gives it a much more eye-drawing look than just the flat color; you don't have to go full jewel, but a bit of glint makes it more interesting.

And it could be that you did that already - given the level of highlighting I wouldn't be surprised - but I can't see it in those pictures.

Thanks @iamfanboy! You are right, I should add a touch of white, I thought it was ok but the more I see it the more convinced I am that I didn't highlighted it enough. 

Now it itches me and I want to fix it right now but I'm still at work...argh... :D

On 7.3.2017 at 5:06 AM, Franchute said:

@klatschi I like how you do the gremlin skin tone. How do you paint it? It goes well with the purple you used for that big bayou gremlin hat.

Thanks, I am glad you like it.

I basecoat the green areas with P3 Thornwood Green, one highlight with P3 Traitor Green, then a wash with GW Athonian Camoshade, highlight with traitor Green again and then subsequently building Traitor Green up with yellow :-)

• Like 1

Calling Waldgeists and Nekima done. Admittedly, I put a little more love into the waldgeists. I just was not having fun painting Nekima, she was more of a "checkbox" model to have available for Adepticon - not my best work, but I just need to walk away for now. This completes my pledge 3 x Waldgeists 18SS + Nekima 13 SS, for a total of 31SS.

So, I have completed what I pledged for the month, but I still have plenty of models and plenty of time to keep at it! 

waldgeists.JPG

nekima.JPG

• Like 7