Abbysinian Strats and Rules

Ammanas

Still not really sure what to make of their playstyle here.....anybody got much of an idea of what to expect?

Aesthetically I think I like these guys......but I get frustrated being out activated in Malifaux so I'm a bit concerned about these being the 'low number, elite' units and being out activated again.  but if they have a few tricks up their sleeve....

I'm purely extrapolating here but their AdvancedPrototypes rule reads as if they get more Assets (and free) per unit than other Allegiances.

And doing it in the scouting phase means you can suddenly alter a units strengths or cover a weakness after your opponent has already sized you up. 

That an it would appear that Assets can be used for damage reduction (from what I've seen in the Gameplay video)

I'm getting a very space marine vibe. 

Fewer in number, more versatile and resilient 

30 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I'm getting a very space marine vibe. 

Fewer in number, more versatile and resilient 

Agreed and in Malifaux terms I'd call that the Arcanist vibe, I'm almost certain that at some point the smaller grunts might come in also (little machines) but so far they are the superior stat guys, with superior cards in hand and a ton of glory/hard hitting options.

Quality over quantity and all that. The funny part is that King's Empire actually feels like Guild (ranged) so far. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get the triggers we keep seeing...

So today they revealed the Basotho cavalry, who on their glory side *also* have a :tome trigger to draw a card, this time if they kill an enemy fire team.   We've seen a previous card draw trigger on Prince Unathi.

The problem though is that Abyssinia, by virtue of just *being* Abyssinia already has a :tome trigger with free card draw on all fire teams and all actions.  Do we get to take both triggers with only one tome in the total or something?  Is that what I'm missing?

We need two tomes in order to declare both triggers. According to Aaron there are a few ways to add suits to a duel. Also, Basotho Cavalry can be hired in King's Empire thanks to Kassa, in which case they I don't think they get to use the rules for the Abyssinia alllegience.

6 minutes ago, RMK said:

I thought this game was different than malifaux in that you could declare all applicable triggers. E.g. With one tome you could declare both. 

Not quite. If you end up with a tome and a ram, you can declare a tome trigger and a ram trigger, but you can't declare two different tome triggers from the same tome. It's 'used up' if you will. Kind of like margin triggers eat up margin when you declare them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RMK said:

I thought this game was different than malifaux in that you could declare all applicable triggers. E.g. With one tome you could declare both. 

It's not "all applicable" but "as many as you can afford". You basically spend suits and margin on triggers, instead of picking one that you match

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

The Long Game ability on the site preview card not actually in anymore?

The website still has it on the Abyssinia card, so I think it's still in place.  The allegiance card posted in this thread above is from December, when it wasn't a thing Abyssinia had yet.