Cards in pdf format...Do you want it?

Iron Heel

Hi,

I was miffed at the idea of picking up a bunch of arsenal sets to cover the Levi crew I had been slowly assembling in the days of 1.5 as this would entail picking up several decks (conceivably, the Outcasts 1&2 along with any faction with undead or construct models).

One alternative option would be for Wyrd to release the cards in pdf online. I think that this would be great for promoting the game and making consumers happy as they get a different format to choose from. Also, updates are much, much easier.

What do you think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's at a cost, I wouldn't mind paying for it, 10-15$ for the whole lot, I don't know, or preferably an application that had them all up to date, though for playing purposes the beta has taught me that physical is a lot more desirable. If it's for free, then I wouldn't have that much good will if I were wyrd, what I would do is have a pdf with a core introductory rulebook and the cards for a base crew for each faction sort of like how Warmachine has it's demo thing and have that be the way to get people interested.

Yeah, distributing everyhting for free is all nice and fine, but will probably cut into one of your margins, be it people that won't buy the book anymore or people that won't bother buying any models and just do paperfaux.

Maybe Wyrd could go with a whole PDF line, with a rules-only book and cards available for purchase. I'd like it to be more like Pazio (Pathfinder) where the $50 book allows an add-on PDF for $10 then GW where the digital version is the same price (or more sometimes) than the physical version.

I like having the physical book to thumb through and have with me when I play, so I'm going to own the physical copy, but I like having a digital version for reference when I'm sitting at my computer, searching, etc.

Privateer Press has their War Room app.

The app is free to download and you can buy their factions individually, by game or all at once. It updates automatically and you can use it build lists, during the game to mark off damage, or if your opponent has the War Room too, you can link the two apps.

If they did something like that, I'd pay well for it.

The cards are beautiful so I dont understand why you would want a pdf. On top of that purchasing the cards help support the company.

When we were in the open beta for wave 1 it was a pain in the butt having to use our tablets and phones.

I love the Arsenal Decks (I've preordered all of them) but I know they already have some errata, and pdf would be great for having up-to-date cards. Anyway, an app, as said above, would be the perfect option (in addition to physical cards).

Allow me to play devil's advocate here for a sec.

You buy the pdf, you upload the pdf, now everyone has the pdf and Wyrd is out of X amount of revenue.

Now I am not saying you are going to do this, but it really only takes one person.

I don't think not having the rules/cards available as a PDF is going to stop piracy (at least I've never seen it work in other games). However it does mean that people can't buy them legally.

I'd prefer an app too as you could bake in a lot of nice functionality. Although at the top of my wish list is either a searchable rulebook(PDF or no) or a wiki like the one for Infinity.

You buy the pdf, you upload the pdf, now everyone has the pdf and Wyrd is out of X amount of revenue.

Now I am not saying you are going to do this, but it really only takes one person.

You buy the book, you scan the book, you upload the PDF.

It's the same thing, one just takes a little more effort. And I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find it has already been done somewhere on the interwebz.

Disclaimer: I have not, in fact, looked. But seeing as every other game system has pirated rulebooks floating the internet, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that the M2E book is already out there.

I can't imagine that much revenue would be lost by making official PDFs for purchase. The asshats that pirate the stuff are going to anyway, and it basically costs Wyrd nothing to make a digital copy available for purchase for those of us that would gladly pay. I'm sure the profit on a PDF of the M2E rulebook at even $20 would be much higher than the printed one at $40.

Edited by JayBarlekamp

I would like pdfs to be available, but, not as much as I'd like to be able to buy individual stat cards. The new ones are a bit nicer, so raise it to $1 per card?

If the Arsenal Packs, which were meant to be a stop-gap measure for using the old models with the new edition, were sold at a loss to Wyrd (which, even at $0.50 per card by the number of cards, they most certainly were), then selling individual cards should help recoup some of those losses.

The way Paizo handles it is the PDF has your identifying information in the PDF, so you buy the PDF, you upload the PDF, and now everyone who downloads it knows it's from you.

Not to say someone couldn't figure out how to get around that by digitally manipulating the file, but it does "keep honest people honest".

Given there are 30some unit cards in an arsenal pack, if people are willing to pay 1$ per card, then you'll easily be able to find ebayers who just buy the packs and break them up for individual sale.

The market will solve this problem.

As was addressed in a previous thread, no, it won't. If a model is rare 2, for example the Guild Pathfinder, someone might buy a second $8 Arsenal Pack and trade / sell the rest, sure. But someone buying Arsenal Packs just to sell is going to be stuck with piles of commons, just like a CCG such as Magic the Gathering, that they likely won't be able to get rid of. Offer just the Pathfinder in the store, and see how quickly we snap them up, that is presuming that they change their shipping prices on cards to an envelope with a stamp or a bubble wrap mailer envelope. The $10 for a card, domestic, was ridiculous.

Once a printshop has your graphics on file, they can print off sheets of just the cards you need.

Lemme get 25 Pathfinders, 50 canine remains, 25 Bayou Gremlins, etc., meeting whatever minimum print run values, thrown in with the next set of books, cards for crews to go in the boxes, etc. As impatient as people have been regarding their gencon orders, we could be patient enough to wait for our stat cards to come in with the next shipment.

I honestly think that if Wyrd we're going to offer their Stat cards or rulebook online, it would NEED to be done in a fashion similar to PP and War Room.

As someone mentioned above, there is very little (next to nothing) Wyrd can do to stop pirates from pirating the book/cards. It's likely already been done.

However, if they released an App that contained an always up-to-date version of the stat cards & rulebook, a list builder, and a pre-game helper tool. (something that tracks scheme selection, Strategies, Deployment, etc) Plenty of people would buy it. I know I would.

Say $5 - $10 for the app itself, then maybe $3 - $5 for each Arsenal Deck. (giving you access to those cards and any updates to those cards forever) Or similar to PP make the app free and each deck $10 - $15.

/2c