M2E Marcus

dgraz

5 minutes ago, OneMeanDuck said:
So I've had a few games with this crew and done very well. I really like the acolytes drag in models so he beast can pounce on them. Though I'm finding acolytes in my lists lately and they just seen amazingly good.... Basically I've been picking this with kill schemes and/or middle of the table schemes.

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Marcus + 4 Pool
 - The Trail Of The Gods (1)
 - Feral Instincts (1)
 - The Hunger Cry (1)
Jackalope (2)
Myranda (8) 
 - Imbued Energies (1)
Blessed of December (9)
 - Pack Leader (1)
Sabretooth Cerberus (9)
December Acolyte (7)
December Acolyte (7)
Malifaux Raptor (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Quick question, are you using your enforcers to run schemes (BOD, SC) thanks to their leaping mobility?  or are you just tabling the enemy and doing as you wish after that?

On July 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Odd said:

Quick question, are you using your enforcers to run schemes (BOD, SC) thanks to their leaping mobility?  or are you just tabling the enemy and doing as you wish after that?

Sorta both. Heavy marker schemes I tend to switch over to Ramos or raspi. I mainly use Marcus for small area control and killy  schemes. I find for me he excels at control the center games... Come here if you dare!

Ive also totally been eyeballing mei feng as my next master for wide open schemes. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wondering on everyone's thoughts of Myranda as a Tar pit?

I'm just theory-fauxing here...However Myranda with Skinwalker and Imbued Protection and Malifaux Raptor comes to 14 stones. Of course Marcus isn't required for this little combo, but if you assume he is the master you'd probably need to add in the 3 extra stones, because I feel Myranda will be using them in this role.

I'm thinking in regards to Masters such as Sonnia, Raspy, Ramos, Kirai and Summoning Dreamer who like to sit at the back of the board unhindered doing their own thing.

Essentially turn one the Raptor lands in their face at the end of the turn. If you win initiative you either bury the Raptor and unbury Myranda (ideal as having the Raptor within 3 inches as a secondary distraction piece with Def 6 and +ve will be even better) or they waste AP killing the Raptor and Myranda pops out.

At Def 8 and Soulstones, plus wicked on disenaging strikes and a relatively easy heal I feel like she will take a lot of resources to get rid of, and of course as soon as she gets close to dying you turn into something like a Rattler or Mauler to start the process all over again.

Now of course there are many things to consider like Strats and Schemes etc, but I feel like Myranda could be a very annoying tar pit if the opposing Master likes to sit on the other side of the board unimpeded. I've often used 3 Raptors as distraction pieces and I feel 3 of them in the area plus defensive Myranda would just be a nightmare to deal with.

Of course as I said I'm only Theory-Fauxing at the moment and am relatively inexperienced with Marcus at the moment, but I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this or if there's anything anyone could add.

• Like 2

Even if something like this did work. I sort of feel like it's a waste of her talents if you simply use her to clog up enemy models. Not to mention that this sort of thing falls flat as soon as someone targets her WP. Basically anything that can get around her high DF is bad news since she's very frail and probably won't last long given her low Wds. Shape changing also seems like a bit of a waste as you end up loosing out on 3ss worth of upgrades.

Myranda is such an important piece of the beast crew and the reason generally no one takes skin walker is because she's just too valuable to keep buried. She wants to be out supporting her crew waiting for the moment if/when she needs to shape change into some scary beast. Obviously you never leave home without imbued energies for the 4 card boost in the process. It's just such a good tactic that I see no reason not to ever the it and I've never regretted it yet.

Now I have done a similar thing  using Marcus himself. Give him the upgrade with +2 Df and imbued protection for Df8. Then I tend to run him to engage key enemy threats, trying to apply beast to as many models as he's engaged with. Usually any spare AP, I use to go defensive (or have Myranda nearby) to better the chances of getting his Df trigger. From there I sit back and watch as my opponents crew flail wildly to hit Marcus and/or beat themselves to death trying. This again sort of falls apart against WP based attacks, but with Wp6 and regen and 12 Wds, (and hopefully Myranda heals) Marcus can usually ride out the storm until those threats are dealt with. 

• Like 2

You know, I don't think I ever really bothered looking at Marcus before, but it looks like he gets a lot out of Raspy's crew, which I wasn't expecting. 

This is totally random, but as the only bear model currently in the game, does the Slate Ridge Mauler see any play with Marcus? I have a few leftover 40mm resin mountain bases from my Raspy crew and was thinking of throwing one into an order for kicks and possibly veering off in yet another direction (albeit one that would probably cost less given that I already have a bunch of Arcanist stuff...not to mention guild hounds).

On 6 August 2016 at 2:26 AM, decker_cky said:

Slate ridge maulers just plain don't see play.

It sure would be cool if they received an upgrade...

That's not true! I use them ALL the time! They're great in things like turf war and guard the stash and as a defend me target as they have impossible to wound and get better when hurt! I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd!

3 hours ago, BFOmega said:

From a facebook response from someone who got the book:

Slate ridge mauler gets +1 Wk, +1 Ml and a 0 action that let's him push with a trigger to perform a different 0 action

Can't wait to try out my pair of slate ridge maulers. Not sure Marcus really adds that much to them though...

Wow, that sounds nice. I don't really have a whole lot of interest in the Arcanist faction as a whole, but I play Rasputina and I'm starting to like the idea of Marcus (and a broad beast hiring pool). Might just have to pick up a bear to paint for fun.

I saw over in the Neverborn forums that they got a new beast, the Rougarou. Looks like it's fragile but comes with some scheme marker eating and ways to force willpower duels for more attacks and enemy repositioning. Thats another one I'm inclined to paint just for fun when it comes out, but if its useful that's even better.

• Like 1

On 9 August 2016 at 5:31 AM, BFOmega said:

From a facebook response from someone who got the book:

Slate ridge mauler gets +1 Wk, +1 Ml and a 0 action that let's him push with a trigger to perform a different 0 action

Oh man if this is true they are the new cheese!

• 2 weeks later...

Blade and claw. Lets you switch a beast and constructs places for a 7 of anything. 8" range. I used a cerberus to fly in do some killing then langston used the ability pushing himself forwards and the cerberus backwards letting langston flurry something to death and the cerberus safe to be healed by kaeris at the end of the turn.

So what do people think of the Rougarou? Seems like a great addition to any Marcus list using pack leader and the hunger cry. Marcus can go, howl, and law of meat a model or two. He can then accomplice the Rougarou who can then challenge causing a TN15 wp duel on the models who were howled (and most likely LoM'ed). If they fail they're pushed into melee and take a free attack from the Rougarou's ability then a free attack from pack leader, followed by two attacks for his actions. And if they're still alive afterwards they're stuck in melee with LoM on them. Not to mention any other beasts in range for free attacks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still not sure if Rougarou will be worth it, costing 8SS...

---

On a side note:

I played the biggest (so far ;-) ) tourney in Poland last weekend. 24 players, I ended being 8th, playing 5 games using Marcus (which I consider decent, not being a top player). Two moments worth mentioning:
1. Malifaux Raptor wanted to give my Cassandra a Beast Condition on the first. Attack, I draw 3 cards for damage (draw): 11, 11, 13. 4dmg... Geee!

2. Playing against Ramos, turn 3: I kept a 13 and RJ since turn 1 on my control hand. (0) action to make Ramos a Beast. Alpha Ramos. Ramos blows up Joss. Ramos blows up Brass Arachnid. Ramos blows up himself. Thank You.

• Like 5

I don't have the cards, but from what I remember the Rougarou seemed appealing because its able to not only force fear tests, but displace a number of enemy models in addition to multiple attacks out of a single AP. Marcus can facilitate that through howl bringing it up to a tn 15 test (I think).  And even if it doesn't move the enemy it may just force your opponent to cheat cards.