Lazarus thoughts

CrouchingMoose

Used him for the first time against Guild. This is his strength in my opinion; when the opponent says "I am playing Guild". If they bring constructs you get to assimilate cool stuff, and against the non-construct models you get serious damage.

I managed to hit three models with his blast at once. Between his healing and his grenades he was a serious pain in the neck for the guild player.

My 1st game with him will be 35ss (Summoning the Pale Rider)

Leve + A Leve 2ss (7ss pool)

Lazarus 8ss

Dead Rider 10ss

Mechanical Rider 8ss

Or

Add a Rotten Belle leaving only 3ss pool

At 30ss a different setup might be:

levi, 5 stones

ashes and dust

lazarus

2 canine remains

With Colette he Assimilates Link from a Mannequin, and Links to a Duet. Turn 2 scraps a Dove and then permAssimilates Dance of Souls, Fast or whatever else takes your fancy from the Duet Buffet. Duet & Laz = the real Pain Train :)

I will have to give this a try.

Will this work? Assimilate and Link are both 0 actions.

im finding trying to perma assimilate abilities greatly reduces his efficiency. First game I had with him i took with ramos and first turn i perma grabbed use soulstone. through what at the time seemed like casual usage I managed to go through 8ss in the first 3 turns. He wrecked a bunch of face... but that was still costing me 17ss and he didnt kill quite that much

With Colette he Assimilates Link from a Mannequin, and Links to a Duet. Turn 2 scraps a Dove and then permAssimilates Dance of Souls, Fast or whatever else takes your fancy from the Duet Buffet. Duet & Laz = the real Pain Train :)

I take offense to this :). I have already TM'd the pain train moniker to santiago. Commencing internet duel for supremacy to use that phrase on my favorite toy soldier BEGIN!!!

Hahaha just kidding all jokes aside.

I take offense to this :). I have already TM'd the pain train moniker to santiago. Commencing internet duel for supremacy to use that phrase on my favorite toy soldier BEGIN!!!

Hahaha just kidding all jokes aside.

I figured Pain Train would have been assigned to Thomas on account of him being an actual train? :P

Topic: There was talk not too long ago of Zoraida, Wicked Dolls, and Collidi being used as a magickal teleporting robot. So that's one option for improving his speed in a Neverborn crew to break-neck rates. I don't have the books in front of me so I'm not sure how that would work since a lot of those abilities have named models in them...anyone remember that, or tried some variation thereof?

Just need to find us a construct with Instinctual or Shapeless to rob.

But Assimilating Instinctual or Shapeless requires another (0) Action to do! The only way to make a "profit" on this is to Assimilate (+2) Subconscious Actions off a Coryphee Duet, but that one specifies that you must do "different" (0) actions.

I'm pretty sure that the only way for Lazarus ever to use (0) Link is by perma-Assimilating either (0) Link or (+1) Instinctual.

I figured Pain Train would have been assigned to Thomas on account of him being an actual train? :P

Topic: There was talk not too long ago of Zoraida, Wicked Dolls, and Collidi being used as a magickal teleporting robot. So that's one option for improving his speed in a Neverborn crew to break-neck rates. I don't have the books in front of me so I'm not sure how that would work since a lot of those abilities have named models in them...anyone remember that, or tried some variation thereof?

requires zoraida, lazarus, performer&mannequinn, 2 wicked dolls and collodi with marionettes (so 40ss games)

deploy so both wicked dolls are in base contact with laz and each other, zoraida and mannequin within 6"

1) activate a doll, go defensive stance and attack doll 2 (you might get lucky and kill/wound it)

2) if doll 2 survives, go defensive stance and hit doll 1, killing it. If doll 2 has not survived have something (a marionette perhaps) kill doll 1

3) zoraida activates and pumps out a new wicked doll in base contact with lazarus

4) lazarus activates, collecting the 2 scrap counters from the dead dolls and perma-assimilates link from the mannequin

5) collodi does what he does best and gets moving!

turn 2

lazarus links to the wicked doll.

the wicked doll can use hag's toys to teleport to zoraida or collodi, and lazarus will snap to the doll, putting him where you want him to be. you do need to protect the doll though, so defensive stance at all times!

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

But Assimilating Instinctual or Shapeless requires another (0) Action to do! The only way to make a "profit" on this is to Assimilate (+2) Subconscious Actions off a Coryphee Duet, but that one specifies that you must do "different" (0) actions.

I'm pretty sure that the only way for Lazarus ever to use (0) Link is by perma-Assimilating either (0) Link or (+1) Instinctual.

subconcious actions from the duet will work - you assimilate that permanently on turn 1 from the duet and then on turn 2 assimilate link, use link and you still have a differnt (0) action left - possible healing flip.

The Duet/ Lazarus interaction is explained in this thread, where there is also a post-game report of it being tried out.

Basically, Laz does not need to permanently Assimilate Link, as once it is used the effect remains in force regardless of whether or not Laz retains the ability to do it again. Link states its own end time.

Yes, but when he assimilates it, he has used his (0) action for that activation and therefore cannot initiate the link without access to an ability (like subconscious actions) that allows him to use more than one (0) in an activation. If he cannot assimilate such an ability, then permanently assimilating link is the only way this can be achieved.

He doesn't need to perminently assimilate link, but he needs to get some way of assimilating link and then Linking as they are both 0 actions. The duets subconcious actions for +2 0 actions is probably the best way, but this does need to be perminent as it doesn't let you repeat a 0 action in that turn, so after assimilating it, Lazarus can't do another assimilate that turn.

It looks great, but you've used 2 turns from lazarus, 2 scrap and at least 1 turn of the duet doing nothing to get there, so thats 23 ss of models and 8 actions doing nothing for almost 1/3rd of the game. Plus the cost of the scrap.

(i'm still going to try it, both as something to achieve early game, and doing it mid game when I've naturally reached all the parts)

The speed and power once it's active though is terrific. It's not 2 turns wasted either, on turn 2 the duet and Lazarus will be zipping about and delivering death.

Yes, it is a lot of investment though, so will be strategy/game dependent and not a use-every-game trick.

As a different idea: I've found that assimilating the soulstone miners tunnelling ability can really help Laz with his movement and survivability issues. It's not really faster, but can get them through terrain and creep out the opponent. Fun in a Levi list. :)

He doesn't need to perminently assimilate link, but he needs to get some way of assimilating link and then Linking as they are both 0 actions. The duets subconcious actions for +2 0 actions is probably the best way, but this does need to be perminent as it doesn't let you repeat a 0 action in that turn, so after assimilating it, Lazarus can't do another assimilate that turn.
That is right - the process was all laid out in the other thread I linked to.

The two Coryphee can be active on Turn 1 - all they need to do is be a Duet by the time Lazarus activates so he can assimilate Subconscious Actions from them (eg. one of them could get a corner for Power Ritual). On Turn 1 Lazarus can move up 8" as normal and the Duet can easily end Turn 1 in base contact with him. Turn 2 Lazarus activates, Assimilates (o) Link and uses it, and can then fire away if he is in range of anything. Which he could well be. The Coryphee can then activate and pull him into a position useful for Turn 3 and so on.

it's not uber - none of these interactions are. But they are lots of fun :)

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to try out the Lazarus/ Duet combo in a 40ss game. He got his two Scrap on Turn 1 from dead Doves (and I got +2ss from killing them with Magician's Duel), Linked to the Duet and moved up 8". He Assimilated Fast permanently on Turn 2, and by then the Duet had killed one Guild Guard and was in Melee with a second. Lazarus killed the Guard and weathered the return fire as he was in cover. On Turn 3 he went first, killed a Death Marshall at range and Assimilated Armour +3 from the Mannequin. He took some fire and then the Duet pulled him away out of Line of Sight to complete Sabotage. The pair of them were now in my opponent's deployment zone! I was then going to use him and the Duet to chase down a Grudge target (Samael) and mop up another Death Marshall. I am pretty sure that over Turns 4 and 5 they would have been able to do that and get back to the enemy Deployment zone to get Turf War, but I saw Lady J and my plans flew out the window so I spent Turns 4 & 5 killing Lady J :)

On Turn 4 he assimilated a spell from the Duet (Crescendo) and tried to Cast it three times, but I was out of cards and he flipped 1s or 2s each time :(

I don't think I got much out of him that I wouldn't have accomplished with Cassandra, plus there are things Cassy can do well that he cannot (like cast Seduction, or Breathe Fire or use Magician's Duel).

Nice for a fun game, but I will stick with Cassy for a Duet partner.