Uphold the glory of the Guild

Hardlec

Well, it seems the Guild did not get any new releases at GenCon. The results of the Guild in the tourneys seem weak. They seem to be losing in the league. ++ungood.

So what to do? A new master and some minions will be out eventually, and the ten puddle maker thing is speculation.

What positive things came out of GenCon?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the big positives to take out of Gencon are the SoS models. From what I've seen so far, we're going to see a master that is in league with the other SoS masters and the minions will equally keep pace. The downside may be the release dates. We'll just have to wait and hope our turn comes up relatively soon.

Hold on now... one upside for the Guild during Gencon was the USA vs UK match on Saturday night where aSonnia triumphed over that Witch Marcus. That match went very well and we even had spectators.

Now I just need Mythicfox to start chanting USA USA USA.....

or Guild Guild Guild.

Hold on now... one upside for the Guild during Gencon was the USA vs UK match on Saturday night where aSonnia triumphed over that Witch Marcus. That match went very well and we even had spectators.

or Guild Guild Guild.

Awesome.....would like to hear more about that match.

or Guild Guild Guild.

Full Battle Report or it didn't happen ;-)

Full Battle Report or it didn't happen ;-)

I wish. We are going to discuss it on an upcoming podcast but neither of us took notes or pictures. I may be able to recreate the battlereport from memory, but it will work better with both of us discussing the game on a recording.

It was a great game and he is a fantastic opponent. I was intrigued by the subtle differences in how we play coming from different meta's.

Awesome.....would like to hear more about that match.

I can report that I was one such spectator. I think I enjoyed the conversation and laughter more than the game itself. Both of the guys are really interesting and fun to talk to. I think I recall something about the British being prone to flipping over tables? *grin*

Unfortunately, I had to head to bed before the finish, as I could barely keep my eyes open.

Edited by Cadilon

I was intrigued by the subtle differences in how we play coming from different meta's.
Yeah, I'd like to hear about that - I was talking to MythicFox at a tournament a few weeks ago and it was one of the things we thought would be really interesting.

So, at the risk of derailing the thread, for which, apologies, what were the main differences?

Cheers

Rob

We already had lots of bullets. More important might be the Wastrels and Pathfinder and a future with excellent objective grabbing. Speedy master and speedy (and/or Place-able) minions will probably mean a lot more Victory Points, just in general.

True, but their ability to hamper assailants, particularly melee based crews, could be highly valuable.

Guild Riflemen, Perdita and an Austringer. You now have a good third of the board that the enemy may as well ignore, because trying to shoot, charge or generally be anywhere around it is going to get someone's butt shot off.

Terrain and opposition pending, of course.

I have yet to see something that will kill a rat, as opposed to annoying them.

There are some serious problems slaying spirits. ( I prefer my spirits with soda on the rocks ... er ... wrong spirits)

I think the guild has a serious vulnerability to majik. (How do you kill what was never alive?)

True, my special crew with Lucius, six hounds and three riflemen looks impressive as I've tried it on paper, but I tend to get hosed by those majikal "things." I see no relief.

There are some serious problems slaying spirits. ( I prefer my spirits with soda on the rocks ... er ... wrong spirits)

I think the guild has a serious vulnerability to majik. (How do you kill what was never alive?)

True, my special crew with Lucius, six hounds and three riflemen looks impressive as I've tried it on paper, but I tend to get hosed by those majikal "things." I see no relief.

What? Have you seen Sonnia? Or Witchlings? Or the Exorcist?

Fighting spirits with Lucius has always been an uphill battle - fighting them with other Guild stuff is nowhere near as hard - Witchling Stalkers are good, cheap minions with Magic Weapons, and Sonnia can deal huge amounts of damage from spells if you keep her protected.

What we seem to be getting in this book is stuff that we really lacked before - more fast models with movement tricks to help us actually achieve objectives and cheap board control in the form of Traps - who needs to kill stuff, when you can just paralyse it while you're getting on and completing your strategy?

Guild typically go by the approach that enough damage, and it doesn't matter if you are halving it.

The best way to kill a rat is to kill its nearby rat catchers first. Sure, they are 6 wounds and Armour two. Several Guild damage profiles can be starting on 4 damage (including critical strike) and go up.

In most cases this means that 2 moderate damage flips will kill a rat catcher, and then all the rats can be killed without them coming back.

I also find that I'm doing enough damage to spirits that it is still hurting even after halving. After all they are normally low wounds.

The real pain is Jack daw, and I nearly managed to kill him one turn with my Lucius crew, and if it hadn't been for a pesky Black joker on a damage flip I would have just managed it. It did take my entire turn, but those are the risks.