When the Model feels horrid, what do you do?

Kael Hate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy proxy + stat card.

I love converting... I mean I really love converting! However, Wyrd's figs have such detail that I would find it very difficult to do properly.

40k figs come in multiple pieces and are often made of plastic. This makes them easy to cut up and assemble in different ways. These figs are solid sculpts (or they have to be assembled in one particular way) so converting is more difficult.

Just find a nice proxy.

Id still use it......nothing is ever that bad.

That's usually my stance on it too. There are quite a few Malifaux minis that I feel aren't quite up to par with the rest of the line. Although not to the extent that I wouldn't buy it.

However, I have to say there is an exception. For me, I think the Joss miniature is one of those miniatures I would never field as it is. I'd have to heavily convert it or proxy.

The Model is Leveticus. I looked at his art and felt appeal, but seeing the figure turns my guts. I avoided him because of that and now when coming back around to expand my groups I'm met with the same horrid figure.

Even thought to myself, "with a head that is about as appealing as a Hatful of Assholes, no wonder he wants to kill himself every turn."

Yeah, I can understand. Although, a simple head swap would do it for me. It's his uni-brow that would be my main mission to remedy. :)

I Looked around and saw Warmachines Asphyxious, and feel its much stronger in look to what the story and rules feel to me but its a bit dirty to use another companies models when there are dedicated models for it.

Using Asphyxious would be such a huge 180 away from the current visual of Levy. Usually, when I don't like a model and I start a project to convert it or replace it with a proxy, I make the new version as close to the visual description of the fluff. With Leveticus, I'd make the final model (converted or proxy) another old man with a staff and metal hand.

Leveticus is my is my issue but there are other persons that won't play because of their own reasons too. Apparently Zoraida and some others showing too much flesh can step in on religious grounds. I can't fathom why its ok to commit voodoo and raise dead in a game but showing flesh is a problem but its something that has been said.

Sidenote - Some Religious persons have told me that the act of drawing a card is tantumount to witchcraft and the only reason they can't play the game. I'm looking at a phone app to get them around the actual act.

Hmmm....that's odd to me. But everyone is allowed their own views.

Keep in mind, most if not all of the book 1 masters are getting resculpts, unfortunately, since they love to mess with levi players, we probably won't see his until august, but it will be coming.

I can say that I feel your pain though, I hate the entire Collodi box, and I was really looking forward to him, but then I saw the models and was instantly put off. Now, if just one or two of.the sculpts had been off, I probabaly still would have picked him up, but I don't like any of them, and that was enough to stop me.from buying his box (for now). It was a bit easier for me to say no, because I already have a lot of crews, but part of me is still dissapointed every time I see the box sitting on the shelf at the LGS.

Sidenote - Some Religious persons have told me that the act of drawing a card is tantumount to witchcraft and the only reason they can't play the game. I'm looking at a phone app to get them around the actual act.
Having nothing but contempt for religion in general, I'm not even going to touch that.

Too late.

Anyway, I would buy Levi, keep him around to prove im not proxying just to be cheap, and ask my opponent before i run levi if he minds me using a proxy. if he objects run something else. the vast majority of players wont mind one proxy. ive never played anyone who WOULD object, in fact.

In the meantime i would work on a conversion just in case i want to run him in a tourney.

I love the Levi sculpt and it is almost exactly how I envisioned him when I read the first book. Oh well to each their own I guess. Anyway if I don't like the model I just won't play it. If that means not running the crew then so be it. This is the main reason I haven't pick up Marcus and old sculpt raspy. The exception to this is the shikome. I choke every time I play that model but she is just to good to leave out of my Kirai crew.

P.s. I think concept art for alt Levi is in twisting fates. I'm looking forward to that model along with his avatar. Of course they will probably release the fourth book before we see any of his new toys. Levi players always seem to get the shaft in terms of releases. Just look how long it took for him to get a box set.

I've voted Proxy + Stat card... but i'd actually have to find a proxy that really fitted what i want, and then i'd buy the actual figure as well

Not only do you then have the actual figure that potentially with a headswap might be more appealling and to use in case some people have an issue with proxies, but you then have the card too

It's something i've done/am doing with the Twins, Silurids, Chompy (as i missed out on a Nightmare one) and custom convict gunslingers for each faction

Personally I'd either just play the model as is and deal with it or stick to a official tournament legal conversion(66% Wyrd metal or hand sculpt)

I think you can easily pull of a few cools Leveticus looks using other models(Nicodem comes to mind). Not sure why you think Aphixious fits him, he is suppose to be a normal looking old man(with a few robot parts). Not an undead lich.

As for people who might be offended by certain models. A little green stuff can easily give some models a little more clothing. But the real problem I see is that the person you are playing against isn't going to cover all his models so you are still around the offending models.

My unofficial non-henchman answer is that if someone really can't handle the model look or believe the use of cards is akin to witchcraft then I think Malifaux is not the game for them.

A game about aliens, raising the dead, arcana, voodoo, and an apocalypse is OK, but flipping a card is tantamount to witchcraft?

Yup.

Was also told by his Pastor that even CCG's like Magic or L5r were witchcraft even thou the card is not read as a value like Tarot. I questioned his playing of D&D and things like World of Warcraft but apparently its ok because there are no spiritual energies reading fate with Dice or Computer Generated randomness. I lol'd much but its really just similar to most irrationalities. Someone teaches you something and you think that its a reliable source so you follow it whether it be religion, bigotry, disproven science or even a wrong game rule. If you think its right you follow it. If you believe you might lose your soul due to flippin cards I'm not going to hate you for it if it doesn't cut me none.

I have to say I'm a bit curious as to what you find so unappealing, I honestly don't think any Wyrd model I've seen could be considered horrid, much less a whole crew.

as to your question though, as a modeler and painter first and foremost, I'll convert a model if I think it'll look better (to me personally.) Don't proxy either, for pretty much the same reason.

Sybelle has kept me from playing Seamus so far.

The sculpt is horrid in my eyes and in not a good way.

If it's only one model, convert up.

If the model is a master...convert lots???

Just prior to picking up Malifaux I had this experience with a certain game I will not name. It's a popular game- but I HATE the mini's.

But everyone says it's a fun game.

Yet I puke in my shoes when I see the mini's.

But it's so popular and everyone plays it.

And I die on the inside everytime I try to read the fluff.

But I swear it has great game mechanics..

(To quote Princess Bride) Dear god what IS that thing?

But it's such a good game and you can easily find folks to play with

So...against my every instinct I bought some. I tried to pick some of the less-pukey variety. I had to select the ones without weapons, because arming these doofy miniatures, the blunt, oblong, and beef-jerky-like weapons just made them look even more comical.

But I was able to do it. So I bought some of those things...that look like they are doing the hula and swallowing tires...and those other things...that look like giant shoulders attached to a once-almost-cool looking robot, except that shoulders proved to be the dominant gene in robot heredity and the shoulders kept getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

And then I painted them.

And then I confirmed I had a bunch of hula dancing tire-eaters with robots suffering from a shoulder-form of elephantiasis.

But now, painted.

So I never played them. Ever.

The end.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that felt that way about those models!!

If it's only one model, convert up.

If the model is a master...convert lots???

Just prior to picking up Malifaux I had this experience with a certain game I will not name. It's a popular game- but I HATE the mini's.

But everyone says it's a fun game.

Yet I puke in my shoes when I see the mini's.

But it's so popular and everyone plays it.

And I die on the inside everytime I try to read the fluff.

But I swear it has great game mechanics..

(To quote Princess Bride) Dear god what IS that thing?

But it's such a good game and you can easily find folks to play with

So...against my every instinct I bought some. I tried to pick some of the less-pukey variety. I had to select the ones without weapons, because arming these doofy miniatures, the blunt, oblong, and beef-jerky-like weapons just made them look even more comical.

But I was able to do it. So I bought some of those things...that look like they are doing the hula and swallowing tires...and those other things...that look like giant shoulders attached to a once-almost-cool looking robot, except that shoulders proved to be the dominant gene in robot heredity and the shoulders kept getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

And then I painted them.

And then I confirmed I had a bunch of hula dancing tire-eaters with robots suffering from a shoulder-form of elephantiasis.

But now, painted.

So I never played them. Ever.

The end.