must paint puppets

tadaka

Im curious any one plan to play puppet wars with out painting them. I have a lot of models to paint all ready and thinking of just going bare metal.

Anyvone know if offical tournaments will require them to be painted?

Dont know what it is just being more a box game then war game i just dont ever see me painting them

Oh, I'm totally painting mine, simply because I love painting, and Colette Puppet must look wonderful.

However, considering the sheer number of puppets that we might wind up using, it's perfectly understandable that they might go unpainted. And really, for board game minis they don't really need to be painted in my opinion-- however, just an overall black wash/dip might be a super easy way to bring out their detail without going all the way with painting.

Glad people think it would be ok to not paint them. I like the idea of playing it as a less hobby focused game. I enjoy the hobby side but can never keep up with the number of models i buy. With things like warhammer, warmahoards, and malifaux i feal like i have to paint. Would be nice to be able to just slap something on the gaming table and be ok with it

Oh, definitely. It's nice to think about getting a break from painting sometimes-- it's fun, but the backup on my table is insane. In fact, I might go with the wash idea for my own pieces-- at least, until I get the time or urge to paint them. Minimalist might be a nice look.

Spray them thoroughly grey. Then, spray them from the top with white, a bit further away than usual. Then, apply Badab Black or something similar. Voila! Very cool-looking monochrome Puppets that take about two minutes per puppet.

Alternatively, spray them ochre, then bone from the top and use a dip and you'll get sepia Puppets just as fast (drying time is longer, though).

I was honestly thinking of just spraying mine a color associated with their suit.

Dark green for crows, purple for masks, etc.

Just enough to tell my models from my opponent's and which is which at a glance, but no real effort.

Although, now that you mention it, a dip or wash would be way better for detail.

It looks like this game could help bring boardgameing and tabletop miniatures much closer. The former, like me, dislike painting and the latter mostly enjoy it as part of that hobby. I am with tadaka on getting stuck in quickly, but lalochezia makes a good point about distinguishing figures on the board. Even with painting, an overall colour for each faction seems a good idea. Cheers!

Will be painting mine, but for other reasons. I want to have them as wicked dolls or voodoo doll depending on the list. Would be a easy way to remember who you picked as a target when you summon the voodoo doll when you have the puppet version of their model on the board. The only time this wouldn't work is if you went against someone using an all Puppetwars model crew.... but then again you could tell them apart from paint job.

I was honestly thinking of just spraying mine a color associated with their suit.

Dark green for crows, purple for masks, etc.

Just enough to tell my models from my opponent's and which is which at a glance, but no real effort.

Although, now that you mention it, a dip or wash would be way better for detail.

Yeah I was thinking of doing something like this and fully painting a select few Puppets mainly due to time constraints XD

But otherwise, we really want to try and foster the idea that yes it is ok to play this game without painting the minis! Its absolutely 100% ok to pick up the game, open the box, stick the mini's in their bases and play. The painting aspect is really more for the hobbyist who will want to paint them up, make them their own really.

So while not required, it's not discouraged :D

Thats not a bad idea. Might cut the middle and make it less time intensive and still make them look decent. It normaly takes me about 4 hours a model and i still dont make them look all that good. Picking up another 50 models just sounds like 2 much work for another game.

One of the fellas here primed them all white then got various colored washes and gave them a couple of coats depending on their faction color and they came out pretty nice actually.

+1

If you dont enjoy painting, do the above, or spray coloured primer as desired and dip. Army painter ftw.

We are starting with just a couple colors of bases, but we expect that you will see a nice rainbow of base colors as the game develops

Can you tell us a bit more about the way they fit in? Considering the different color bases the puppets would move around quite a bit with new bases as we maje new toyboxes. Wondering how the bases

would hold up to that?