Changes in the new Rules Manual

nilus

Someone in another thread asked for this. So here is the list of changes I noticed in the new Rules Manual. Note these are actual new rules or changes and will not cover errata items.

1) The Shadow rule with elevated flat terrain. Basically its a rule that says there is a blind spot under flat elevated terrain equal to its height.

2) No more rules of equivalency

3) A score limit in games. You can score no more then 8 VP in a scrap, 10 in a brawl

4) All Schemes are back to only granting 1 or 2 VP(no more 3 VP schemes)

5) Slaughter clarification that fixes the point awards for models like Combined Cophees

6) Counters have been split into Counters, Markers and Tokens now. Counters are now just things that are generally carried(like corpse or blood counters). Markers are items on the board and tokens are generally for effects(IE you get poison counters now, not poison tokens)

7) Lots of diagrams and examples

8) A detailed index

9) Models Fall back immediately.

10) Unless noted in the ability, models may not be the target of there own attack.

11) Soulless models no longer drop corpse counters

12) Hoffman's scheme is different. Some other schemes have limitations in place on what other schemes they can take with it

Others who have the book please include anything I might have missed.

Edited by nilus

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this Case there would be a deadzone equal to the height of the Hill, as you can not use true line of sight in Malifaux...

Well....probably not "Hill" as that implies sloping which is different.

"Flat" elevations are more for the flat vertical surfaces of a wall like on the side of a building with a different model on the roof or of a cliff face with a model on the flat bluff.

But I think you guys get that. Just specifying.

What's this I heard of the new rules allowing taking Red Joker even when doing a negative flip? Sounds horrible (imagine Gremlins flipping on negative and getting more likely to get the devastating Red Joker damage the more negative the flip gets)... Random crazy damage for no reason that I can see.

That's been in the rules for a while under the old erratas. Managed to get a Red Joker on a :-fate:-fate:-fate flip last week.. 8Wds on Bad Juju from a pistol, oh how I laughed.

Edited by Ratty

What's this I heard of the new rules allowing taking Red Joker even when doing a negative flip? Sounds horrible (imagine Gremlins flipping on negative and getting more likely to get the devastating Red Joker damage the more negative the flip gets)... Random crazy damage for no reason that I can see.

That has been the case for sometime now.

OK, can someone tell me how that is a good idea? I thought that double-sixes autokilling in Confrontation was bad but this can be even worse in some cases (not to mention that it rewards hitting badly).

It's something that *might* happen once per turn. Its hardly a nuisance, and its not a tactic that can be relied on. On paper its easy to exaggerate, but in reality, it occurs about once in one game out of four.

I don't have the book yet, but a couple things have popped up on the board recently that aren't in your list.

It looks like Soulless models are now considered non-living, and models failing a morale duel outside their activation fall back immediately, rather than their next activation.

v2 Shrug Off was printed before the Manual was completed. We'll be talking, but for now read Shrug Off, Dispel Magic, and Spellbreaker as affecting Tokens and not Counters.

@Math: this is an ongoing argument folks have. Ultimately it comes down to this...the Red Joker isn't 'just a wild 14 card'. It's in almost every way intended to be the opposite of the Black Joker. So although the Black Joker trumps all the Red Joker wouldn't be very Jokery if it was negated by any negative flip out there now would it? As it stands now, both Jokers trump everything else (except Black in the case of Red).

There's a tactic out there which folks claim breaks the game to force a :-fate:-fate:-fate flip as often as possible in the hopes of getting the Red Joker. Can it work? Sure once per trip through the deck. Without that Joker though, you're throwing away potentially useful cards in a 1:54 flip hope. We'll assume for sake of argument that you're holding the Black Joker so it doesn't factor into those big flips. ;)

Edited by Keltheos

It's something that *might* happen once per turn. Its hardly a nuisance, and its not a tactic that can be relied on. On paper its easy to exaggerate, but in reality, it occurs about once in one game out of four.

Or three times in my last game.

But sometimes luck just happens...

In my first game, the black joker decided to show up two turns in a row (on +flip damages), more or less Cuddling Rasputina's output. So I figure I'm close to even.

5) Slaughter clarification that fixes the point awards for models like Combined Cophees

I think people will still hate the Coryphee, though does it award points to models like the Mannequins and Ikiryo now as well? I think the four types of models without a Soulstone cost are Masters, and those with a Soulstone Cost of -, Placed, or Summoned. Masters always had a rule to award their deaths by 6 or 10 Soulstones, but the others were worth 0 in the past.

There's a tactic out there which folks claim breaks the game to force a :-fate:-fate:-fate flip as often as possible in the hopes of getting the Red Joker. Can it work? Sure once per trip through the deck. Without that Joker though, you're throwing away potentially useful cards in a 1:54 flip hope. We'll assume for sake of argument that you're holding the Black Joker so it doesn't factor into those big flips. ;)

haha that sounds like a tactic that plans on doing a lot of weak damage

Wow soulless models being non-living is huge change for levi players. I can't get my waif from levi's corpse anymore. Hoffman's unique scheme is different and several of the schemes have limitations on them. for examle my little friend can't b taken if your strategy is contain power or if you have the assassinate scheme.

Being insignificant is less of a big deal for example you can carry the treasure with an insignificant model but it doesn't count as carrying it for the extra vp.

My one disappointment is that kidnap has not changed, but you cna't win them all.

-Heretic

Edited by HopelessHeretic