Malifaux Players Unite! (Against Coryphee)

DangerousBeans

I'm seriously, how the hell do you deal with these chicks? They fly about the place pretty much ignoring everyone, then they slice you up or blow you up. They're nigh untouchable (especially the duet) and shooting/blasting them is fairly useless as if you can get through their massive defense they're still evasive and bulletproof! When you do finally hurt them they can HEAL THEMSELVES! They can also slingshot across vast distances, not to mention they can slingshot Cassandra too (whom I also have issues with, I hate blonde act!) Also, they can Use Soulstone, which means that even my masters have a tough time killing these bastards!

So, should I ignore them? Which means they slice me up (I forgot to moan about them getting + damage on a paired weapon too). Concentrate on killing them (which I do, which means the rest of his crew can do what they wish and has never actually resulted in me killing the pesky things) or what?

To be fair, I've only faced them twice. First time with Kirai and in which I barely scratched them. Second time, tonight, was with Tina who couldn't kill the duet despite hitting with 3 Curse of Decembers! (killed Cassandra with blasts though, that'll teach her) To do this though I had to burn all my soulstones which means that afterwards the Coryphee activated, healed and then sliced her to ribbons.

I was going through my mind wondering how any of the other masters I play could deal with them (see sig) and was coming up plums.

Please, please help!

edit: Ok, Killjoy or Punk Zombies under "bolster undead" could probably handle them.

Edited by DangerousBeans

If you can get some :-fate on the coryphee/duet's defense/resist then that helps big to cancel out their :+fate. Targeting her Wp instead of her Df is slightly easier (especially for the single coryphees, unless Collette is nearby, in which case go against Df). Use your master, use soulstones, and hit 'em with Severe damage a few times. Don't waste your time with ranged strikes, spells that are ranged strikes, or blasts, as Bulletproof 2 and Evasive 3 neuter their effect quite.... effectively.

Are you using a specific crew that is having trouble against them? If you're ressers, then which master?

Yep, Rogue necromancy would do it, especially with a nurse you're not afraid to use nearby. Anything with Paired melee weapons and/or Focused melee strikes would obviously be prefered to something without a :+fate to attack. A Punk zombie or two (especially if Bolstered by Nicodem) would make short work of the duet (or at least force the showgirls to burn through soulstones in defense).

The Hanged Whisper from Beyond is nice, in that it cannot heal once it has been effected. Also Bette getting off paralyze can slow down Cassandra and Colette. Focus on one of the two big threats, beat it until it is dead then move on, I think saving Colette for last. You want to go after the Duet before it has gone, so try to make situations where it is more important for something to activate first, then take the Duet out before it can use soulstones. Colette has a Df trigger, but not a WP one, so try to attack that over Df.

In conclusion. Learn to fight them insted of scream cheez of the interwebz.

It's more of a cry for help. Also I'd have no right screaming CHEEZ as I regularly play Killjoy + Nico, which actually is utterly, utterly bent.

Sometimes screaming cheese is the only way to get good advice. And his post wasn't that terribly whiny, and even rather self aware of what it was.

Thank you Lalo!

I think I will try Nico + PZ's next time.

As someone who plays them on a regular basis, I don't fear paired or focused because i have a great defense already I will just out defense if I can. To be honest no one should be able to get into melee with them because of the push trigger on the 9 inch move where I cannot get charged.

The biggest fear with that list is the doppelganger, initiative is so importent for Colette because I have 2 models on the table that have to move first, If you catch the Corphy before they activate they don't have use soul stone so people can get through then plus you might get into melee because you are closer. Not having use soulstone is very bad for your 14 points of goodness, this also competes with Cassandra for who activates first because getting southern charm up is so important for keeping her alive.

Hope that helps.

As someone who plays them on a regular basis, I don't fear paired or focused because i have a great defense already I will just out defense if I can. To be honest no one should be able to get into melee with them because of the push trigger on the 9 inch move where I cannot get charged.

The biggest fear with that list is the doppelganger, initiative is so importent for Colette because I have 2 models on the table that have to move first, If you catch the Corphy before they activate they don't have use soul stone so people can get through then plus you might get into melee because you are closer. Not having use soulstone is very bad for your 14 points of goodness, this also competes with Cassandra for who activates first because getting southern charm up is so important for keeping her alive.

Hope that helps.

Just keep a dove nearby the Coryphees. Then if you lose initiative, they can still sacrifice the dove as a SS if necessary in order to get out of a tight spot.

But yeah, hitting the Coryphees before they have activated is the main way to deal with them. By comparison though...Nekima is also 13 SS and she can pretty consistently kill the Coryphee in only 1 or 2 hits. Any of the strong melee masters can do it. My first game against the Showgirls when they first came out, I annihilated the Coryphee with my Viktorias.

They are certainly tough to deal with. The other thing I would recommend would probably be to try and kill either Cassandra or Colette first. Cassie and Colette will often end up burning through a lot of Soulstones trying to keep themselves alive, and if you can drain the SS pool, then the Coryphees have much less to depend on.

Oh, and for the OP, are you guys playing blast attacks correctly? For instance, with 'Tina's December's Curse, it does 5 :blast :blast for Severe damage. The Coryphees would take 3 total (5 minus 2 for Bulletproof) as the initial target isn't taking blast damage, they're taking normal damage. So, you can still do some pretty hefty damage to them that way. So if you're going to use attacks/spells with blast damage, just make sure the Coryphees are the primary target, and then hit other stuff behind them with the blast damage.

@ Lobo. I only got one severe hit on them, and the blasts were enough to kill the already wounded Cass. The other two hits weren't severe, think I caused 5 or 6 points of damage to the Coryphee in total from 3 or 4 casts (overpower is a wonderful thing) but had to burn all my SS to manage that!

It was a gamble that didn't pay off, I had to put Tina in a position that was all or nothing and, sadly, the Coryphee survived and ate her face.

Trial and error, next time I know I'm facing them I'm definitely bringing Old Nic'!

Also I shall be adding some icy coryphee to my December crew. "If you can't beat 'em......" and all that.

The one time I played against Coryphee, the duet zipped across the board to Ramos, failed to do significant damage, and then he Falcon-punched them down to 1 health, summoned an EC and walked it through them.

Of course, they were out of soulstones, and no control hand, and the red joker was involved...

waaaaaiiiit u faced a Showgirls list where they ran out of ss, UMPLAUSABLE! with so meny 3 wound models he should have had ur army on ss farm :D