Wyrd at Origins

Well, Day 1 of Origins is behind us, and we're safe and sound in the Hotel now. It's certainly no Gencon, but it's a good time all the same. Far less in the way of miniature games/companies around, but there seems to be a fair amount mini gamers around. At least enough to get my voice half gone. Lots of Demo's of the game to a very good response and very good response to our new box sets as well. Anyway, I'm tired so enough talking...on to photos.

Origins-Booth-1.jpg

Origins-Booth-2.jpg

Anyway, more updates tomorrow!

Eric

Nathan says: meh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is the first time I've been to Origins, so it's hard to compare, but from what we've heard, it's quite a bit slower this year due to the economy. A lot of people have been saying that they'd expect it to pick up a bit tomorrow though, so I'm hoping for that as well. It's still fairly well attended, but compared to Gencon it feels quite a bit more empty, even with being in a smaller space. All that said, it's a good time, and we're having a lot of fun pushing Malifaux on anyone we can. :D

Well, it's kind of understandable. Up until now Wyrd has been a hobbyist company. Transitioning into a gaming company, it'll be good to carry some of those hobbyists along, but there's a huge batch of gamers that will be interested that have very little desire for the hobby side and now they're discovering us! Malifaux will interest many reluctant mini gamers because of its true skirmish nature. Not a lot to commit to for painting.

That's why Origins should be good for the game. We'll see in the weeks to come! Great practice run before the big con.

Honesty time here.... I have been heavily into mini gaming since for about 20 years and I hadn't heard about Wyrd until I started getting more serious about painting and found out about Iron Painter.

I think getting Malifaux out there will do amazing things for your brand. If I had the coin, and you were dumb enough to sell, I would buy Wyrd right now as I think you're going to get a real good surprise when people start playing your game and looking at your figs. I would hope the Wyrd bank account will look "all swole up!" by this time next year.

I hope this helps gets the word out even more, and that you do brisk sales. Looking forward to seeing Wyrd at Gen Con, as I'm not rich enough to attend both. I've got lots of friends at Origins this year, but they're all board gamers, so you probably won't see much of them, sorry. :-<

I think in general Wyrd promotes itself well enough...you can find it on TMP, TGN, Frothers, MGN, CMoN and in fictional reality. Those are the strongest online sources for news and to find new companies and games :)

But the stand looks awesome! Damn, can't wait to get my hands on the game. I'm really interested seeing what direction it took since a year ago. I'm sure it's nothing but awesome :)

When I used to be a sales rep I was in one of my shops when a women walked in and was "wow when did this shop open?"

The shop had been there for 13 years. It was one of the biggest pet shops in the city.

She had lived 1 km down the same street for the past 20 years.

Sometimes people not knowing about you has nothing to do with you.

Well, I'll say one thing here-- I'm in the (much) greater DC area, and I have not run across any store (other than my FLGS in WV) that carries the Wyrd line. Distributors! *shakes fist* Oh well, I guess I'm doing my part to encourage interest. I can't wait for Gencon to get the rules. Seven weeks to go, I guess.

By the way, are you guys considering going to Historicon? It's the only big con that's at all near me. :( They're Lancaster, PA in three weeks. I hear that they're moving to Baltimore next year though.

Saw this game at origins. I loved the idea of the card based mechanic of the game. I always thought the models were great now that I have a reason to buy them. I am looking forward to getting the rule book so I can decide which faction I want and which will work well with them for a demoing. Maybe I'll get the chance to do the henchmen stuff for the Columbus area.

What's this Malifaux thing everyone is talking about? Is this some kind of game or something? Are the miniatures prepainted?

What about the fluff?

I hear it's lame.

With the alpha development and second rate fluff writing, it doesn't have much to offer. Arachnid swarms look cool, anyway.

Is that more or less what you hear, too, Red?