Dabblers in Wizz-Bang

Math Mathonwy

WW_7.27.2022_Card_Dabbler_Front.jpg?formWW_7.27.2022_Card_Dabbler_Back.jpg?forma

So, the new Dabblers are Wizz-Bang as well as Witness.

What do you think?

My first question is: do they lose Configuration? The Upgrade is limited to Witness crews and is Arcanist so does that mean that they actually cannot use the Configuration based stuff on their card?

As for the model itself - on a first glance I don't really see a place for it in Wizz-Bang even if Configuration works - it's not horrid or anything but it's a fine five-cost Minion which means that it probably won't see play. If Configuration doesn't work, it's incredibly bad.

I would need to check the configuration more carefully, but I expect it to work in any crew that hire a dabbler ( or other witness). 

There is some interesting options on the card, between the natural card cycle, ranged scheme marker dropping, marker removal, movement as a bonus action. I think they are good in witness, but not sure how much they are for wizz bang except for the counter tech. I

36 minutes ago, Adran said:

I would need to check the configuration more carefully, but I expect it to work in any crew that hire a dabbler ( or other witness). 

There is some interesting options on the card, between the natural card cycle, ranged scheme marker dropping, marker removal, movement as a bonus action. I think they are good in witness, but not sure how much they are for wizz bang except for the counter tech. I

Here you go:

WW_7.27.2022_Art_DamianRavencroft-Aspira

Since it's an Arcanist Upgrade, I would think that you wouldn't be able to take it. Now, I think that the intent might be that Configuration would still be usable in Wizz-Bang (though without the Conduit Ability from the Upgrade) but RAW I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Since it's an Arcanist Upgrade, I would think that you wouldn't be able to take it. Now, I think that the intent might be that Configuration would still be usable in Wizz-Bang (though without the Conduit Ability from the Upgrade) but RAW I'm not sure.

Being an arcanist upgrade isn't a silver bullet on 'can x take it' as special upgrades like this (say skybound ally, reliquaries, etc) are able to be added to crews outside the models home faction.  While we need to see the official ruling on crew (witness) I don't think 'its an arcanist upgrade' is enough to say bayou dabblers can't use it.

6 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Raw at the moment doesn't really cover this upgrade, since you can't hire upgrades with a special limitation, but nothing I've seen puts this into play, except the wording of things like Repository when read with The configuration seem to suggest it's an always existing space for models that reference to the configuration. 

So wizzbang couldn't hire it as its a arcanist upgrade, but witness can't hire it because it's special( the configuration), so it's probably the case that its faction is irrelevant.

I don't think I've seen a crew limitation yet, I assume it means your crew needs to contain a witness model rather than your leader is witness ( otherwise I think they all might be very restricted in who hires them). 

• Like 1

I'll wait for an actual ruling, but they lose quite a lot from not being able to put cards in the repository, a trigger from both of their attacks and movement on their tactical action, so I would hope they would be able to access the repository. Seem a bit mean to add them to Wizz-Bang but then neuter them.

As for if they are good in Wizz-Bang, I don't know enough about Wong's playstyle and intricacies, but they seem to add more of the crew already does, ranged damage and blast damage. I'd put them above Lightning Bugs, but that's not exactly the highest of bars. The Dabblers have some reasonable utility for a 5 cost model.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

And they still suck :P

I haven't seen Witness use them and they have even less synergy and even less of a place in Wizz-Bang. A huge missed opportunity, unfortunately.

I found them quite crucial to the way I play witness, as one of the few ways to get extra cards in the configuration,  and with the tools for the job advantage of knowing what card it would be. 

But I played my witness very focused on getting certain suits in the configuration.

The gamin were still more critical,  but I certainly felt I got my values worth from them.  It even made me think about them in other arcanist crews, as a card filtering mobile scheme dropping model with marker removal tech.