2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Shock & Awe

Does anyone use stynylrez primer? I was trying to apply some yesterday but it was clogging constantly and was coming out very chalky. I was using an airbrush with a paint hood and it was decently cold last night, but I haven't had much of an issue with it in the past.

53 minutes ago, OctaBit said:

Does anyone use stynylrez primer? I was trying to apply some yesterday but it was clogging constantly and was coming out very chalky. I was using an airbrush with a paint hood and it was decently cold last night, but I haven't had much of an issue with it in the past.

I use their black almost exclusively, and live in Norway, but I've never had any issues🤔

Could there be some pressure drop or leak anywhere?

@Brushgit - again, fantastic work on this model, the ghostly effect transitions so well into the "material" part of the model

@Gheist - very nice and clean paintjob and I love the vivid, crazy colors, really like the base too!

@Trimasel - I'm a big fan of your vassal videos, nice to see you here too. Skin on Aionus looks great - I will also be painting this model in March, such an amazing scultp.

@TimH - again, love the way red works with pale blue and even more impressive on such a huge model.

As for my pledge, I've started with one simple 4ss mini - Void Wretch. I was aiming for a balance between Cthulhu vibe and bright additions. In the end I overbalanced slightly towards the latter but looks OK I guess :) 

painters-challenge-March2022-WIP01.jpg

Now for the bases - I tend to use Milliput for making rocky foundations and adding some extra elevation (and weight) to the minis. I also use resin bases that a lot and pin my minis + add magnets to the bottom. And speaking of magnets, I want to make a big recommendation (hope OK from the admin side? ). My buddy is running a Kickstarter campaign with 3D printed magnetic grips with exchangeable heads. Once you have the base magnetized you just put it on the grip head and it stays there for as long as needed. No blue tack, no extra drilling, simple and effective. The grip is very well designed and comfortable to use (see below with a Malifaux example).

painters-challenge-March2022-WIP02.jpg

4 more days to go in the KS, price is really affordable - link here :)

• Like 6

@Hawkoon I don't think there's a pressure drop anywhere in the line, but I would have to double check. I did have to take the nozzle off multiple times and did see some blockages, and after sending some more air through it at some points it seemed to clear some bits.. When you run your airbrush what's the temp in you're room? I had the window open a bit and was running the hood for a little while before hand because I was cooking (I live in an apartment and the hood over the range may as well be a laptop fan for all the the good it does). 

The other thing I tried was adding some thinner to the primer. I normally don't but one of my friends commented saying that I should since it would lower the amount of dry tip I was getting, but it seemed to make it worse. Do you use any thinner with yours?

@Viruk Love the colors on the void wretch. You normally don't see something that vibrant for a lot of Tarra's stuff and it's refreshing to see. Got a lot of that other wordly vibe going on.

• Like 1

This month I'm going to try (again) to paint Paul Crockett...
The mini I have has very little detail in the face and I'm just not feeling it, leaving him partly done constantly. Don't expect a great paintjob.

After that, I'll pick up whatever I fancy that's to hand - still a lot to paint to clear my Malifaux backlog! Could be Guild Guard, could be Guild Riflemen, could be Sidir Alchibal, could be a Bayou Bushwhacker with a broken gun... who knows? Least of all, me!

For basing I mostly use PVA glue and sand/gravel, though I have a few resin bases knocking about in my Malifaux collection, or I mash up some milliput.

2 hours ago, OctaBit said:

@Hawkoon I don't think there's a pressure drop anywhere in the line, but I would have to double check. I did have to take the nozzle off multiple times and did see some blockages, and after sending some more air through it at some points it seemed to clear some bits.. When you run your airbrush what's the temp in you're room? I had the window open a bit and was running the hood for a little while before hand because I was cooking (I live in an apartment and the hood over the range may as well be a laptop fan for all the the good it does). 

The other thing I tried was adding some thinner to the primer. I normally don't but one of my friends commented saying that I should since it would lower the amount of dry tip I was getting, but it seemed to make it worse. Do you use any thinner with yours?

@Viruk Love the colors on the void wretch. You normally don't see something that vibrant for a lot of Tarra's stuff and it's refreshing to see. Got a lot of that other wordly vibe going on.

Last time used it the room was actually at around 10°C, and I didn't notice any change in the behavior even though that's quite cold.

I don't use any thinner, as they are ment for regular paints, and the primer has a different chemical composition and may indeed react in unpredictable ways. And thinners doesn't really do much in regards to tip-dry, you need flow improver for that. (I don't use that either as it changes the properties of the paint)

(oh, and I usually up the PSI to 30-ish when priming)

• Like 1

I was I going to work on some other bits and pieces for this months pledge, but seeing as the theme is bases I thought I'd get this completed. I bought it before I had played malifaux because I loved the model and wanted to do something cool with the base but never followed through... so I've just whipped this up.. its getting a few helping hands! Just needs a bit of texture paint and static grass tufts. Im also loving the green stuff world uv resin at the moment so will probably find a way to work that in, maybe some nasty looking drips coming from the casket. Alongside this I'll do the Effigy and probably some decorative coffin markers with the same theme. Happy painting in March everyone, can't wait to see what you all do!

20220305_153545.jpg

20220305_144227.jpg

• Like 5

@Hawkoonfigured it out. There was some build up in the nozzle, plus I used an older bottle I had and shook the heck out it and warmed it a bit. Worked much better.

Need a general opinion for my dua/umbra stuff. So the plan I'm going with is to paint the crew as though they were at night with a very directed light on them. I've got a picture of one of the deva with a real/green light on them. I was going to keep the umbra models this way, kind of marching their art. For the human models I was going to mask of their sections to hit specific areas with airbrushed inks to color the white areas.

My question is what should I do for the bases. I was thinking of hitting the roots, bricks and other debris with some dark browns or grey's (or whatever makes sense) and then hitting them with the zenith white followed by the teal. Just want to get some opinions on the idea before committing to it. 

One other thing I need to do is go back and hit the deva's eyes with some florescent orange to really make them pop.

PXL_20220305_143942437~2.jpg

PXL_20220305_144010530~2.jpg

PXL_20220305_144035052~2.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Well... atleast I've started. Doesn't really feel right though. They seem kinda flat so far, so think I will need to put in some more contrasts somewhere.🤔

Probably some more variance in colour may help?🤔

20220306_223942.jpg

It depends what look you are going for with the crew as a whole. Right now they are indeed looking very dark and drab but if that is the visual style you want it's not necessarily a problem. I'd say of the three the one with the two sickles looks best at the moment. The Red cloth even though drab is a very noticeable piece of colour on the model, as are the slightly lighter colours of the skulls. Perhaps a slightly brighter colour on the metal of the sickles and the scythe? Maybe a slight spot colour on the other two like the red on the middle one? Some slightly glowy green eyes could help if you wanted to illuminate the faces more.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@TimH Thanks for the input. The two on the sides are barely started, so don't mind those too much, they're a few steps behind the middle one. But, no, this isn't really the look I'm going for with this crew. They're supposed to fit together with my Carver from "Rotten harvest 2021".

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/gallery/image/17020-rh21bump-30/

I think I need to work a lot more on getting the details to pop, and I think I'll need more colour to make that happen, as well as some sharper contrast with highlights and shadows.

I'll try finishing the sickles and smaller details, and see if that changes anything first...

So i went over to your carver. What i think he has and is thus far missing with your sorrows ist contrast.
Your carver has some nice warm/cold contrast on his pants, light/dark between the crows and his tan shirt. Also the red specles with the tan shirt again works well and is contrasted by the blue part of the pants as well.

With the current picture of the sorrow i don't see these nice contrasts there. Maybe that helps with what you want to do to make them mesh together and still pop. 
Personally i think i'd try to use some of the cloth to replicate or do sth similar to the pants on the sorrows too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

So i went over to your carver. What i think he has and is thus far missing with your sorrows ist contrast.
Your carver has some nice warm/cold contrast on his pants, light/dark between the crows and his tan shirt. Also the red specles with the tan shirt again works well and is contrasted by the blue part of the pants as well.

With the current picture of the sorrow i don't see these nice contrasts there. Maybe that helps with what you want to do to make them mesh together and still pop. 
Personally i think i'd try to use some of the cloth to replicate or do sth similar to the pants on the sorrows too.

Thank you!

This confirms my thoughts about missing contrast, but I wasn't quite sure where I should begin to improve.

I'll start with adding more warm-cold contrast and go from there. Even though the lighting in the photo is a bit flat, I'm guessing I'll also need to add a stronger light-dark contrast as well.

tIWQxOP.jpgmuG0HbZ.jpg

Finished up the speckled crawlers. 20 of the little guys (22 if you count the ones riding thealpha crawler) and am glad it is done. With these guys finished up I'm able to move on to the barbed crawlers and Yarazi who are going to be a lot more fun and visually distinct (plus there's only 9 of each).

Between the 2 units of Speckled Crawlers I treated myself to a slight break and painted up these boys.

spW8oHV.jpg

3 Morphling adjunct models. Super cool models, gave me a chance to work out how I wanted to paint the Barbed Crawlers (the model is a speckled crawler bursting out the back of a barbed crawler) and let me paint up some nice neon green body goop. At the moment these boys are unlikely to see any play though as the morphling is kinda doodoo compared with the other adjunct models 😞

But hey the Speckeld crawlers will be putting in double time as I'm planning to use both units of them with Kirai in Court of Two!

• Like 6

I realized I haven't put up my pledge for the month - I am hoping to knock out one of the autumn knights for Wyrd stuff, then I am going to get cracking on a massive 3d printed model I made. I was actually hoping to use this as Titania's "avatar" model (since she doesn't officially have one) but it's too big :( Still, it gives me a new challenge because I've never painted a model this size before. 

IMG_4787.thumb.jpg.f78067c788a9d6fe3a4bf41dcbe5748d.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, Hawkoon said:

Thanks to the comments on the wip, I'm now quite happy with these sorrows. So I'm calling them done. (With the exception of pumpkins on the bases...).

Got a bit further on the Lyssas, so I'll probably finish them as well this month.

20220312_171820.jpg

20220312_171933.jpg

Good Job, they look really tasty now :D

• Like 1

So, here are 2 minis painted in march for a total of 17 soulstones - best malifaux (not mimic :)) lawyer Amina and old man Fitzsimmons. I hope I’ll paint some more this month.

About basing - until recently i had a problem with bases - didn't knew how to make them, was a bit scared to spoil whole model/composition making only ground effect and painting them. In January i started to use polymer clay to make small things such as stones, use water effects, snow effects, citadel and vallejo ground effects. Now i want to start making more complicated basses using othe materials. Sometimes I use bases with inserts from other manufactures like on this two.

BD237641-E773-4156-94A1-18371CC00831.jpeg

D345BF99-8C4F-44BE-AC46-DA99688FECFA.jpeg

• Like 9

On 3/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, Hawkoon said:

Thanks to the comments on the wip, I'm now quite happy with these sorrows. So I'm calling them done. (With the exception of pumpkins on the bases...).

Got a bit further on the Lyssas, so I'll probably finish them as well this month.

20220312_171820.jpg

20220312_171933.jpg

Yes very nice. There's just worlds  between the wip and this image.
These look so much nicer.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Yes very nice. There's just worlds  between the wip and this image.
These look so much nicer.

Well, they were WiP after all, and I was far from finished when I posted the image, but I felt I was going in the wrong direction, so I'm very happy with the feedback to get me "back on track". Thank you @Spitfire and @TimH 🎃