2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Shock & Awe

Two months down, ten to go! 

March is rolling around, and the painting beat goes on. 

We've had a lot of great painting going on and it was great to see all of the entries in the Blood Valentine contest amongst our monthly painters as well. 

If you are new to the challenge and what to know the ins and outs - Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

For all our regular contributors, make sure you've submitted your SS counts for the previous two months in the Google Form. Remember, @Gheist and I are not going to enter them for you ;)

For our Masterclass topic, now that we've covered brushes and paint, I thought we could move on to

"Basing"

What kind of materials do you use for your bases? How do you approach basing your models? Do you have any specific methods or processes for basing? Anything and everything about how you get your little gray men (and women... and monsters.... and, you get the idea) onto their little round homes.

Also, if you are interested, remember to try and call out what techniques you are trying to work on with your projects so we can try and get some feedback from people with more experience. Feedback is one of the best ways to improve! 

Let's have another strong showing this month and, in the words of Ninjon, keep slaying the gray! 

- Shock & Awe

This month I intend to try and complete all the remaining Gibbering Hordes Models. This means 2 units of speckled crawlers, the alpha crawler, a unit of yarazi, a unit of barbed crawlers and 3 morphlings. Definitely doing the speckled crawlers and alpha crawler to make my pledge goal, hoping to do the others too but time constraints may pop up and say no.

Anything that doesn't get done will probably roll over to next month and be painted alongside some nightmare darkest depths and some Court of Two.

I'm going to keep going on my crew for Pandora. Left in the keyword I have 3 Lyssa, 3 Sorrows, Kade and Iggy. I have a tournament coming up in May, where I hope to bring atleast 2 fully painted crews, so I really hope to finish off what I need for woes this month. Maybe even get started with the ensuing nightmares...

For March  i'll be joining the Circus as the hobby butterflyiest man on the planet!
I'm going to go for Performers. 

I will want to finish 2 Coryphees, 1 Coryphee Duett Proxy (was in no mood to magnetize a base and will probably in a future black friday or easter sale just get another duett to replace the Proxy),  Angelica Durand, 2 Mannequins, 3 little flying Monkeys, Carlos Vasquez Proxy (which just fits better to the dar carnival imho than the original) and at least Mercury and probably the alternate Showgirl for a lot of Stones really.

Pictures of start coming soon.

I'll hopefully start and finish my redchapel keyword this month. Already finished building the high society part (bete, 2 doxies and a dandy) and will base + gapfill and prime them til the core box arrives later this week.

If they prove to be nice and quick to paint maybe I'll add the dead rider as well

Getting the ball rolling on basing.

I don't go too overboard on my bases because for the most part I'm painting models for use on the table as opposed to being display pieces. So I do want the basing to be practical and to not add too much additional height to the model (wyrd less so but a lot of wargames care about the visual profile of the figurine also it makes them easier to position in terrain). This doesn't mean i don't do base work though, just that I try to follow some specific rules.

1. All models in a set should have a degree of cohesion to their bases so they don't look too mismatched.

2. There should not be too much dead space in the base.

3. The base should not be overly crowded.

DSC01646.thumb.JPG.74a42cb6430b9595157346bd14b2ec3d.JPG

Horomatangi as an example had a lot of empty room on his base. To balance this out I addedsome height variance with different sized clusters of rubbles and grass tufts. The green flock itself doesn't really add to the height of the base but used in clumps as opposed to as a consistent layer adds some variation and makes it look less like a flat plastic base. For actual materials I mainly use sand/grit of varying coarseness and then finishing off with flock and premade grass tufts/clumps. Assembly is done almost entirely with pva glue (though certain larger tufts need a dab of superglue to keep them in place). Assembling the rubble and grit i placed a fine layer of sand acropss the entirity of the base first and then added the largest of the rubble pieces. With these in place  moved on to increasingly smaller pieces of rubble acccross the base to give a more natural look with less  holes and gaps to the built up clusters.

As a sidenote. For the tabletop wargame/boardgame bloodbowl I go with an incredibly minimalist look. A layer of sand, painted up brown and earthy, then a layer of flock followed by some white paint to line out pitch markings. Simple but effective and aimed at fighting the game being played.

• Like 1

Planning on painting terrian this month. We've got a new shop opening at some point and I'll be doing some wooded fae theme terrian from Dragon trappers lodge. 

Hopefully I'll also work on some more Explorers and Neverborn, but I've still got Destiny 2, and Elden Ring. So we'll see how that plan goes.

Ok, this month it's all about the journalists; my pledge is Nellie & 2 newsies for 23ss.

IMG_20220302_132850939.thumb.jpg.d4bf0df6322c4b05ecf3fdce5940cb3b.jpg

If I keep up the pace, I can get the rest of the keyword finished in the back half of the month...

I'm feeling a little ambitious two months in (what could possibly go wrong?), so I'll also see if I can stretch to completing Hoffman's pylon markers as well.

IMG_20220302_133010517.thumb.jpg.6e135a56be372432178e5316a4a6150a.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gheist said:

<Irrelevant models 🤭>

afterwards i will try to paint as much nexus as i possibly can because i need them done end of April for a Tournament, where i most probably won't play them at all ;)

Welcome to the Hive! excited to see what you do with them.

I'll be carrying on with the Cadmus keyword as I have 4 models left: Meredith, 2 Spell Eaters, and a Berserker husk to do. I also have the NexKids but I need to build them first. 

For basing - When I first played I wanted to keep it very simple as painting wasn't my focus. So sand/texture paint and done. Now coming back, I want to try telling stories with the models, or at least try to immerse them in a scene. The models I've done so far are my first attempts, adding in mites, eggs that I 3D print to get the hive feel. I think I have done better with the Eyes and Ears than the rest of the crew, as I spent more time on those. I think as I try to speed up painting for games I lose time in the basing aspect.

I am using a mixture of Cork (for height), milliput for sculpting cobblestones/flagstones and Mud texture paint to create my current crop of bases. I am trying to theme each keyword and I don't mind if different keywords don't mix base wise, as I am incorporating a unified colour onto the models (Kabalite Green) so that there is some visual link. For some models I am 3D printing base toppers to sit inside the lipped base which is working well so far - pics to come!

On 3/2/2022 at 8:51 PM, Gheist said:

That Yan Lo looks lonely :D

Ymz1T9W.jpgrU1O2Hg.jpgKq2V7t9.jpgFavourite sculpt in along while ! 15SS checked in

I so hate that sculpt... Also the new Viks... Ashes and Blood will probably stay my fav Viks for a while. 
Also i've seen sbdy put Ashes and Blood on a 50mm base, that looked so good and fitting.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

I so hate that sculpt... Also the new Viks... Ashes and Blood will probably stay my fav Viks for a while. 
Also i've seen sbdy put Ashes and Blood on a 50mm base, that looked so good and fitting.

Yeah, but i don' think i would want to rip my Ashes and blood off their bases and magnetize them, nor am i interested in byuing and painting them a second time. Building a 50 mm base around two finished bases looked way too awkward, it was my original intent because the original artwork on the card did not appeal to me either.

The quality of the new sculpt is pretty good and it was fun to paint it, so that solved it for me at least. What bothers me most with the new titles is incorporating 1 enforcer into two concepts of Colourscheme/technique/Basedesign, cause with me this has varied a lot from crew to crew / faction to faction

15 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

Welcome to the Hive! excited to see what you do with them.

Now that we are only a normal crew and not something that gives everyone PTSD i am more comfortable investing time into the hive. I have started on painting all the bases. I have mixed several different ones to represent the spy network being in several places and i am trying to give them a uniform mood/colour right now

Also i will try some yet untestet paints on the skintones so , i am probably even more curious what will happen ;)

3 hours ago, Gheist said:

Yeah, but i don' think i would want to rip my Ashes and blood off their bases and magnetize them, nor am i interested in byuing and painting them a second time. Building a 50 mm base around two finished bases looked way too awkward, it was my original intent because the original artwork on the card did not appeal to me either.

The quality of the new sculpt is pretty good and it was fun to paint it, so that solved it for me at least. What bothers me most with the new titles is incorporating 1 enforcer into two concepts of Colourscheme/technique/Basedesign, cause with me this has varied a lot from crew to crew / faction to faction

Very reasonable. Hopefully i'll have that in mind when i get around to mine.

2 hours ago, TimH said:

First model of the month and he just doesn't want to fit into my light box.

AoDqUYx.jpg ysdSREn.jpg

B5Sozub.jpgSvfT2WV.jpg

Also just for a scale reference on how big he is compared to Horomatangi.

nc8HZb3.jpg

oh my god :D thats why the box is so heavy

• Haha 1