Living in Your Opponent's Head?

Yore Huckleberry

Here's a question:

What Guild crew do you think forces your opponent to play your crew's game the most?

For example, if playing against Tara you've always got to worry about Glimpsing the Void and being attacked in the aether, then getting unburied near some other part of your crew, so you have to be careful about your positioning and WP duels.

Any thoughts for what Guild crew does that the most?

1 hour ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Hoffman is the big tech-check we've got in faction. Maybe Marshal? But really Hoffman is the one that demands the most counter-building.

I was thinking about Lucius as well - he can impact the board in really unexpected ways until he acts. Nellie has some oblique threats against AP efficiency and area control, but they’re a lot more predictable. 

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

My (uninformed) impression of Guild is it is a reactive faction overall.

It tends to concentrate more on shutting down enemy plans than delivering its own plan, as often its own plan can be quite weak at scoring points (like on symbols)?

I mean, that's essentially what Jury (and most of the Marshal keyword) is all about.

You have a plan? Well, I'm gonna spike it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Actually, to that end I think Marshal screws with people's heads - if they're at a certain level. The amount of counter-tech in that one keyword is wild.

I agree with this. Marshal isn't really a plan so much as it's a toolbox for dealing with certain things you might see. It's got a flexible enough baseline that you can season-to-taste with the versatiles and get a fair amount done into any pool, but it doesn't really have the same top speed as some of the stronger choices unless a specific target stumbles into your sights, and at that point, you're usually just as strong bringing the piece you need in from ook.

I’m gonna throw out there that the keyword you’re looking for in guild is witch hunter.

there’s a lot of actions that punish poor positioning or grouping together coupled with the burning condition not ticking down anymore means one action or more needs to be taken to deal with it.

Burning gets around a bunch of defensive tech too which can irritate an opponent and even if they don’t mind the one or two points of damage from a mildly on fire model, there are quite a few benefits you gain (or constraints put on their options) from them leaving the model on fire as well as some quite high damage actions like Sonnia’s summon action that can tilt an opponent.

in addition to this the crew can put an absolute massive amount of damage even in the absence of the fire condition (sonnia, thralls, Samuel) and isn’t short of movement tricks either which can frustrate attempts to pin down anyone other than sonnia herself.

oh and most of them have shielded or can use soul stones or have solid effect when they die and don’t leave markers.

11 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Here's a question:

What Guild crew do you think forces your opponent to play your crew's game the most?

For example, if playing against Tara you've always got to worry about Glimpsing the Void and being attacked in the aether, then getting unburied near some other part of your crew, so you have to be careful about your positioning and WP duels.

Any thoughts for what Guild crew does that the most?

If you want to play a schemy game, a lot of guild keywords will force you to play their game. Nellie for auras and opponent movement, Lucius for obey shaenigans, Perdita, Basse and Sonnia for range pressure, etc... If you play a killy game, only Hoffman and LJ will be able to change your game plan.

• Like 1

My two pennies worth....... this is how I got to my regular 4 guild masters (who I haven't played since start of GG1 as I have been playing Ressers - boo! hiss!).

Sonnia - People don't expect her crew's raw speed.  Was the best crew for getting across the board on mass in guild (possibly not now with Basse?), and my usual pick into Symbols because of it. Sonnia is usually playing "sweeper" with Grimwell or Sam dependent on board. Witchlings in the centre and I quite liked Sactioned and Quellers on the wings.

Hoff - Can you cope with my high armour, and healing, mixed in with ability to punch through your crew?  I use to take him a lot in Turf war for this reason, and probably would do that again in the GG2 set.

Dashel - I simply don't want you in my table half.  Hence I am going to grind down a game of Leylines so I win by 1 point in traditional Guild Fashion.  Saying that, the impact on summons not interacting with strategy tokens would make this a lot harder in GG2. (see below)

Lucius - So this was my heavy schemey pick, but I think he would not be too bad into Break the Line as I am sure I could keep control of two markers, and probably could try and get to a third to help disrupt the enemy.

Guild have to play disruption wider than 'shoot it'.  Otherwise both players end up with limited AP, and you may not be in the correct postion.  You need to take the game to the enemy, even if its in a very reactive way like Dashel, or very proactive like Sonnia.

10 minutes ago, HowNot2Wargame said:

Dashel - I simply don't want you in my table half.  Hence I am going to grind down a game of Leylines so I win by 1 point in traditional Guild Fashion.  Saying that, the impact on summons not interacting with strategy tokens would make this a lot harder in GG2.

Other than the turn they are summoned, summons can do every part of leylines.

They just can't interact with strategy markers. Strategy markers aren't interacted with in leylines - you interact with the token.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Other than the turn they are summoned, summons can do every part of leylines.

They just can't interact with strategy markers. Strategy markers aren't interacted with in leylines - you interact with the token.

Oh yeah I keep on forgetting that even though I play with Kirai in Leylines exactly for that reason.... and did so last night.  *slaps forehead*

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, Yore Huckleberry said:

I was thinking about Lucius as well - he can impact the board in really unexpected ways until he acts. Nellie has some oblique threats against AP efficiency and area control, but they’re a lot more predictable. 

I have at least one opponent who would say Lucius. All the obeys really tend to throw him.

I think Basse could, if he can get nice work out of the sandworm.