"Model cannot be moved" & fall

Rex4r

Question

Hello.

Malisurus Rex stand at the top of the Destructible Terrain. He declare Tail Whip with Territorial triger.

Territorial: Until the End Phase, this model ... cannot be moved or Buried.

What will happen if Destructible Terrain will be destroyed by other model?

Is a fall considered as a move, and if it is, will a Malisurus Rex fall?

Same question about model with Laugh Off, that stand at the top of the Destructible Terrain which destroyed during enemy model's Activation.

Laugh Off: If this model would be moved during an enemy model's Activation ... it may choose not to.

8 answers to this question

The only way this can make sense is if falling isn't considered movement.  

This isn't written anywhere in the rules, but I'm fairly sure they don't expect us to make models float in mid air, and there isn't another way to stop that without an errata. ( since falling isn't stated to be or not be movement, you can get away with out having to errata). 

The other option is falling is considered a move and rex floats in mid air until the end phase and the laugh off model floats until the end of the enemy activation. 

Ugg.  Falling is messy because:

• This edition established that basically all going from one position on the table to another is movement.
  • If you treat falling as movement, the rules would need an errata or FAQ to deal with how to fall when effects prevent movement.

Which points to the simpler explanation:

• Falling is a process which normally occurs during movement, but not always (see Destructible).
  • Not all physical movement is movement.

To be honest, having falling due to terrain destruction not set off hazardous terrain or things like Pounce seems like a reasonable trade off.

But I think if you're actually in a situation where you're setting up a board with destructible terrain that models will be walking on top of, both players really need to be having a serious discussion about what's going to happen when the terrain is destroyed, and why.  If you're setting up a table where you're going to blow up a bridge or some railroad tracks, maybe you want the Bugs Bunny "I refuse to fall down" effect.  🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

The only way this can make sense is if falling isn't considered movement.  

Falling is a move, because of 

image.png.e2754fdfc360b9e7da5b5557380b23d1.png

Model change it's location from Ht 2 to Ht 0, so it was moved.

Falling is movement. The only thing strictly consistent with the rules is that the Rex floats in the air, I think. Normally it would fall, but it has a rule specifically saying it can't, and a specific can't overrules a generality.

That said, Malifaux rules aren't perfect and this is why we have TOs to make rulings when the rules don't perfectly cover a situation. I think most TOs would rule you can't have a model floating in the air and it falls.

That said, if you want to play with the floating Malisaurus Rex, just indicate its position with a marker or die. During the end phase it will fall.

Of course, the other question is what happens if another models walks underneath it, but that is resolved in another thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rex4r said:

Falling is a move, because of 

image.png.e2754fdfc360b9e7da5b5557380b23d1.png

Model change it's location from Ht 2 to Ht 0, so it was moved.

I agree you can read that and assume that it was a move. I would counter it with there is nothing that says a change in Ht is a change in location, the game is largely two dimensional. The falling model is still in the same place on the board just at a lower height. I am of the opinion that the only way you can climb is during a walk action. 

(I would have assumed Falling was movement until now, because of this. But since I'm fairly sure you shouldn't have models floating in thin air,  I would look for a way in the rules to not allow this, and the only one I can find is that falling isn't movement. There are a few minor side effects to this view, but they are better than the other outcome. Because the only other way you can fall without it already being part of a movement effect was if you are standing on a destructible piece of terrain. So in that case, if you land in hazardous terrian it doesn't make you suffer the hazardous effect for the fall. )

Worth Noting that burying a model is NOT movement even though the model changes location (Although unburying is movement because it is a place effect). 

• Agree 1

RAI obviously will not allow models floating in the air... This is a tabletop game (a lot of us are playing it on a computer these day, but I'll let you try to make your Rex float)...

Falling look suspiciously like a movement.

But i would consider the change of location unavoidable since the structure of the board itself changes. So bo falling for the Rex, but at the end of day he's on the ground (since the alternative is impossible)

For me it's the same thing as removing a severe marker. You were in severe terrain now you're not. You were on an ht1 box now you're not (therefore you're in the ground). 

Falling is not movement. 

The rules for Malifaux are written from a 2D perspective, which makes them a bit awkward at times. Essentially, pretend you are looking at a Vassal board. If a model is on top of destructible terrain and that terrain breaks, the model does not change location, strictly from a 2D perspective. All that happens is the SZ of the model changes. 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, Mycellanious said:

Falling is not movement. 

The rules for Malifaux are written from a 2D perspective, which makes them a bit awkward at times. Essentially, pretend you are looking at a Vassal board. If a model is on top of destructible terrain and that terrain breaks, the model does not change location, strictly from a 2D perspective. All that happens is the SZ of the model changes. 

Is that actually the case for 3e? It was for 2e, but it explicitly called out in the rules that it was top down IIRC. Do you think models on different floors of a building (or above and below a bridge) can't occupy the same top down space?

For example, the rules for Place effects explicitly says not to take into account vertical distance, implying that by default you would take it into account. Further, in the examples for measuring it explicitly calls out vertical distance as being a component of the distance between models. A model on a Height 5 building is considered to be 4" away from a Sz 2 model that is horizontally 1" away. In fact, the first example given for measuring distance uses a side on view to show that height can affect distances, which is not a 2D perspective.