Trap "trap"

im_open_to_suggestions

Hello all knowing folk of the forums.  

I come today to talk to you about traps (the metal kind, not the other kind) 

Personally i find hiring anymore than 2 a painful process as i would much prefer to take an upgrade or keep the stones, however i am told more and more that "Trap spam" is more than just a meme.

I am asking you today to change my mind.  Tell me of the successes you have had with trap spam, or the downfalls you have suffered for taking a trap light list. 

Much love from a Basse diehard #embracethedust

I do know there are some lists that hire a large amounts of traps.  But they're not mine, so I can't tell you how well they work.

When I've played Basse, I've hired a trap fairly regularly, and often but not always a second.  The map plays a lot into it.  If you can see spots where you can really gum up the works, it's worth it. 

• Like 1

I'm still weighing up whether to buy them, so this is all theorycraft for me, but...

Traps seem quite good at tying up the enemy if they can't remove them efficiently (i.e., charge them and kill them in one hit). I also want to use them as a defensive line (imagine having to fight through 2 traps to get to Paul Crockett for example). That said, tons of traps seems like overkill (would you rather have 4 traps and 2 stones or Phiona Gage?)

ES Player.

3 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh neat, why are you finding so many useful on corner? Because your opponent is already boxed in and you can really tie them up?

Yes. Against a lot of crews the little shits are super annoying. They also give you a free turn of shooting a lot of the time. With Sz1 you can hide them behind walls and fences. It doesn't work on all maps and versus all enemies but most of the time I prefer 5 traps on Corner to reichart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Legislat said:

Pro tip: never ever take them against arcanists (free soulstones with cache), resurrectionists (rider, jaakuna, yan lo) or leveticus (free summons). 

I kind of disagree. I mean those aren't great matchups but they aren't super counters. Rider is not really a problem for RR. I mean you really want to hit that severe for a trap? It also means that your traps survived to turn 2 :D .You can go around Levi with good positioning

• Like 1

So I took 3 traps in my last game of the January tournament, 1 died turn 1 because I forgot things, however 2 survived until turn 3....while in melee engagement with both Malisaurus Rex and the Neverborn Emissary (I forget the name) all the way from halfway turn 1 until they died. Round 2 the Mali Rex whiffed attacks due to cheating/flipping low numbers. I call that a win anyday.
Downside they didn't do a lot, but 4ss to tie up 20ss of models seems like a win to me. I just wish they could ignore terrifying.... they literally don't have brains so why would they be scared 😮

19 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

I just wish they could ignore terrifying.... they literally don't have brains so why would they be scared 😮

they do have some form of intelligence, but ultimately I think it comes down to ease of rules. We have a game where you can get machines drunk, and attracted to undead, because writing rules to restrict that sort of thing gets hugely complicated, and tough to balance. Previous editions tried terrifying to only effect certain traits, and there are a few actions/abilities that work differently on different traits now, but giving constructs blanket immunity to terrifying is hard to balance around

• Like 1

I get it, but I literally thought the traps had no intelligence. It is just clockwork, rather than the hunter's etc that have basic sentience and targetting :) I wasn't saying they should ignore it, but it would be funny on a 2ss model...

We make do with what we got, and tbh they did a great job for what they are!