RCT 9: OOK and versatile picks.

Maniacal_cackle

Welcome to Ressers Community Thread 9! This time we will be discussing out-of-keyword and versatile (OOK&V) models. As always, this is open to people with every level of experience - from newbie to master. Let's all help each other improve!

Anything about OOK&V models fits into this thread, but here's some ideas to get the ball rolling:

• What OOK&V models do you bring into your crews on a regular basis?
  • Are there particular combos between models in separate keywords that people want to talk about?
  • Are there specific counters you like to bring in against certain crews using OOK&V models?

Or anything you might want to talk about!

Finally, if you have any requests for future pools, feel free to message me.

Dead rider is of course the first versatile to talk about I think. Mobility with ride with me is great for getting those masters moving. Min 3 makes it a great beater and the versatility of the revel is great. It can do some more damage or even summon a heap of zombies. I took him with schtook and summoned the mindless zombies then used Anna to explode. Fun times

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Dead rider is of course the first versatile to talk about I think. Mobility with ride with me is great for getting those masters moving. Min 3 makes it a great beater and the versatility of the revel is great. It can do some more damage or even summon a heap of zombies. I took him with schtook and summoned the mindless zombies then used Anna to explode. Fun times

Yeah, I use Dead Rider with Reva and Molly as well.

Reva: helps my Restless Spirit get up the field, and gives me several models that can ignore severe terrain in the crew. And Reva can power it up with tons of focus.

Molly: exceptional beater, and I have tons of models that would rather be spending their actions doing something than moving (Molly, Machine, Yin, Philip, Toshiro, etc).

One thing to note about Dead Rider is it is a tiny bit card hungry (needing you to cheat a card to get off Ride with Me about 40% of the time), so I try not to take it if I have lots of target numbers in a six card crew. But it's high stats means you don't have to worry about cheating defensively as often. 

Something worth highlighting OOK is the Eternal Servitude Box. Every model in there is very useful out of keyword I find!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some other OOK&V models I find useful:

Toshiro: with a gravedigger, can provide a continual stream of bodyguards. Can be useful on claim jump + assassinate pools for example where you can really commit to turtling.

Ashigaru: for when 16 stones is too steep an investment, but you want to take the bite out of an alpha strike or similar (like Valedictorian).

Yin: Phenomenal at Take Prisoner, Leylines, and anything else where you want to force your opponents models into particular locations. Also solid as a schemer with Dark Bargain.

Manos: strong all-rounder that can leap around the board at will. Possibly fills the role Archie used to in some crews. If you want a strong beater, Manos is a strong contender. Also amazing for his anti-demise aura, pretty much an autotake against demise-dependent crews I assume.

Vincent: Can kill off summons, ignore hard to wound and incorporeal, and is a solid model in general. May fit into some situations (though often I end up cutting him after the draft list).

Anna: Gravity Well and Hostile Work Environment just shut down so many things, and the model is super tanky. Really helpful if you want a ~13 inch bubble that says 'no' to placing and targeting allies.

Bete Noire: sweet googly moogly, this model is fantastic in a Reva crew. Highly recommend. The constant stream of corpses makes her so easy to abuse, and you're already stabbing your own models. Does make for some competition for low masks though.

Rogue Necromancy: Haven't tried it OOK yet, but projective vomit can just shut down entire batches of enemies at once. Flesh construct and drowned can do it too, but the built in slow on the main target makes it such an efficient action.

Night Terror: Worried about enemy ranged attacks? Just grab this concealing aura and you're good to go.

Nurse: perhaps the most common OOK choice, nurses provide card selection with Tools for The Job, healing, condition removal, quick cure, handing out distrcted, and repositioning of models (using triggers guaranteed with Tools). Very powerful support model, and fits into lots of crews. Frankly I don't use them enough.

There's probably lots more I'm missing, and I haven't even included versatiles yet! Will have a think about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The Emissary, of course.  Very useful in a lot of different situations.  Provides coffins and zombies and Move Along and a solid range blast.  Also, everyone hates it, (or at least around here they do) so bringing it gives me a free 2-3 turns of nothing else getting focused on.

Bone Piles are situational, but I bring them occasionally.  The heal is kind of little, but 4" range is nice, and no flip needed and they're slightly more damaging than the Nurse. 

Dead Dandies.  5ss ook and they can create a corpse marker a turn and have one ap left.  I've toyed with bringing one to fuel Bone Piles, but there's lots of uses for piles of corpse markers.

Asura is pretty ok.  I would probably bring her way more often if the crow was built in on the zombie maker.  As is, if you want either trigger you have to stone for one suit and luck into the other.  That being said, the plus flip on her melee surprises people sometimes and the injured/heal on her blast attack can be super nice sometimes.  And occasionally Seamus just needs to know there's going to be a corpse marker on the enemy side somewhere.

Sloth is a little trickier than he should be, because his fast only works on undead.  Still, I get him on the table occasionally.  The ten inch range heal 3 is real nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CateranLlama said:

Dead Dandies.  5ss ook and they can create a corpse marker a turn and have one ap left.  I've toyed with bringing one to fuel Bone Piles, but there's lots of uses for piles of corpse markers.

Interesting! Do you find them better than Restless Spirit, or is it just a matter of what you own?

Bone Piles I find suppperrrr good with Reva. One Bete + one bone pile for Reva gives me presence all over the map (though I have to be careful of corpse marker denial).

• Thanks 1

Honestly ressers is the only faction I constantly look OoK and versatiles, a bunch. We just have so many good models, and especially models that deal with niche circumstances while still being worth it, with the tax. 

As for models I constantly look at, Emissary and Rider are almost always looked at for me, then if I have a minion heavy list or need to hold a spot, my man Toshiro does the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bone Piles are nearly auto-take for Corrupted Leylines. Move your crew wherever, secure the first strategy marker, then bury to catapult the Lodestone across the board and reappear turn #3 at the 3rd strategy marker.

Also quite common for Jack Daw in general - if he plays against condition crews.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Graf said:

Bone Piles are nearly auto-take for Corrupted Leylines. Move your crew wherever, secure the first strategy marker, then bury to catapult the Lodestone across the board and reappear turn #3 at the 3rd strategy marker.

Also quite common for Jack Daw in general - if he plays against condition crews.

What crews do you use them in? I've been taking them with Reva, but not sure about Molly (since I currently don't take any corpse generation with her).

@Maniacal_cackle I play Schtook and Daw, so that's where I use them. I've also played against Reva utilizing them. When you take them for the Strat, the crew doesn't matter *that* much. By turn #3 there usually is a corpse marker around somewhere useful to unbury them. If necessary, you can always cheat in a crow for dismember. If I want them to survive longer or expect them to be relativly close to the enemy, GST always is an option. 

Schtook can handle Leylines without them, esp. Viscera usually are fast enough on their own, but it still opens up a lot of options for positioning.

• Like 2

Against a melee mode/crew I really like a Drowned, even OOK. That Combat Finesse can really ruin a beater's day and help the Drowned stick around a lot longer than you'd think. Add in Vengeance, Proj Vomit, and Startle and the model can dish out a lot of annoying conditions. Even has a trigger for Stunned. Torment gives a small possible card draw as well. Their only downside is how slow they are, but most crews have a way around that. 

Goryo are also a fun semi-beater model I like OOK. They are expensive, but can put out a good amount of damage. Mark of Vengeance can really hurt some crews that rely on healing. If that is all you want, you can always go with just an Onryo instead. 

Grave Digger is one of my go-to 6SS models especially if I might need corpses. They offer some healing and some Focus. If you can get the Accidental Rollover trigger, you can actually get a decent amount of damage.

I've taken Mortimer a few times now and I did find him useful. Fresh Meat can be difficult to get the best results, but extra movement is almost always good. His shovel has Dismember built in so can create some unexpected corpses if you need em. Decay with a Blast on Weak can be very useful if facing any crew that like to bunch up a bit. Add in Chatty, HtK, Regen, and Manipulative and he can be pretty tanky. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've taken Mortimer a few times now and I did find him useful. Fresh Meat can be difficult to get the best results, but extra movement is almost always good. His shovel has Dismember built in so can create some unexpected corpses if you need em. Decay with a Blast on Weak can be very useful if facing any crew that like to bunch up a bit. Add in Chatty, HtK, Regen, and Manipulative and he can be pretty tanky. 

I have taken him a few times with Nico, but I can't seem to make him work. 

With a walk of 4, and Fresh Meat not working on himself, he seems to always be out of position. 

Manipulative, HtK and Regen 1 are nice, but he's still a pretty squishy 8 wounds on Defense 5. 

You can't speed him up with Rigor Mortis. And he can't be healed by Grave Diggers or the Dessication trigger. So it seems like he's pretty easy to deal with when your opponent is tired if dealing with his Chatty aura.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I have taken him a few times with Nico, but I can't seem to make him work. 

With a walk of 4, and Fresh Meat not working on himself, he seems to always be out of position. 

That's often my concern with him (besides not owning him), but seems like he is going to struggle to get up the board. Of course, on say wedge deployment you'll quickly just be spamming decays with him anyway. Seems like a very strong ability. Sad that he doesn't offer blasphemous ritual and recent funeral, which means he can't really function like an upgraded gravedigger.

I also just don't like manipulative usually - I don't like abilities that force me to activate in a different order xD

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Against a melee mode/crew I really like a Drowned, even OOK. That Combat Finesse can really ruin a beater's day and help the Drowned stick around a lot longer than you'd think. Add in Vengeance, Proj Vomit, and Startle and the model can dish out a lot of annoying conditions. Even has a trigger for Stunned. Torment gives a small possible card draw as well. Their only downside is how slow they are, but most crews have a way around that. 

Goryo are also a fun semi-beater model I like OOK. They are expensive, but can put out a good amount of damage. Mark of Vengeance can really hurt some crews that rely on healing. If that is all you want, you can always go with just an Onryo instead. 

Drowned I can understand, but if you want Goryo out of keyword, aren't you generally going to be better to just snag Kirai (assuming you're not in a super card-hungry crew)? Unless you don't play double masters (which I generally don't, so I guess my point doesn't really apply to me xD).

Guess I'll have to try it if I buy Kirai next!

1 hour ago, unti said:

Hey, do you pick any schemerunner models as ook or versatile options? I never tried it but necropunks seem great to pick for some schememarker based schemes...

Definitely seems worth considering if you own them! Personally I tend to use expensive models as 'scheme' runners (Archie, Dead Rider, Manos, etc), but necropunks seem like the obvious one to try.

One of us should test out a game with them!

6 hours ago, unti said:

Hey, do you pick any schemerunner models as ook or versatile options? I never tried it but necropunks seem great to pick for some schememarker based schemes.

Yeah, definitely. Necropunks are one of the best scheme runners in the game. Even with an OoK tax they will be good. 

Playing Levi in Outcasts, if there's a scheme that needs multiple scheme markers (breakthrough, spread them out, etc), I can't see not taking a necropunk and considering it virtually guaranteed to get 1 point from that model alone. With a big threat to get the 2nd. Either you will or your opponent will have to spend a lot of AP chasing a necropunk around

I mean... I would pay +1 stone for OOK Necropunks,if my own crew would not have anything adequat. But I play Schtook, usually I don't have to, so take that as you will.

Your opponent will know what you plan to do with them, but often it still takes a lot of work to get rid of them - at least compared to their cost. For me, the question would be more like "Which crews doesn't need to spend the OOK tax?". I assume Molly doesn't. Kirai looks like that as well. Daw definitly does not have such scheming power, but I simply don't play him into such pools in general.

Although one might be strapped for stones, I think everyone else can benefit from them - given a fitting pool.

I think Hanged are a top OOK choice, if you need a beater. They are quite self-sufficient, especially since they hand out debuff upgrades on their own. Only thing helping them out directly is other models giving the opponent staggered.

In Daw I always have played two, but I think one already can help a crew out, if they are short on damage potential. They still eat quite a hole into your SS and don't provide much support, so imho they're not an 'always take' option. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Graf said:

I mean... I would pay +1 stone for OOK Necropunks,if my own crew would not have anything adequat. But I play Schtook, usually I don't have to, so take that as you will.

Your opponent will know what you plan to do with them, but often it still takes a lot of work to get rid of them - at least compared to their cost. For me, the question would be more like "Which crews doesn't need to spend the OOK tax?". I assume Molly doesn't. Kirai looks like that as well. Daw definitly does not have such scheming power, but I simply don't play him into such pools in general.

Although one might be strapped for stones, I think everyone else can benefit from them - given a fitting pool.

Which models are you using to scheme in a kirai crew?