Carrion Effigy

english_boar

Hey all,

When browsing all things Malifaux earlier I stumbled across the Carrion Fate box.

I'm a huge lover of all things crow/raven/rook and now want this box.

However, I don't have a Resurrectionists crew so looking for pointers.

Want models/masters work well with the above in particular or does it not make much difference?

Disclaimer: New player currently trying to understand rules ahead of playing the game in the near future 

😁

2 hours ago, english_boar said:

Is it just zombies I would need or other other summonables too?

Emissary only summons zombies.

2 hours ago, english_boar said:

Cool, Molly looks ace.

What are your thoughts on this for an initial list?

Molly

Necrotic Machine

Philip and the Nanny

Carrion Emissary

Rogue Necromancy

Crooligan x3

Rabble Riser x1

Would leave me 4ss in a 50ss crew

Molly likes the effigy more than the emissary, and i'd swap philip for archie and then you have space for another rabble riser or drop a crooligan and add forgotten marshal. 

Agree with the above about taking Archie.

Also be aware that you find out the objectives and opponents master before making your list, so you can customise the list each time. As such you want a pool of possible hires rather than a specific list.

With Molly, I started with three boxes:

Core box (I got the M2E one, so got her, Philip, necrotic machine, 3 crooligans)

Rabble risers/punk zombies

Archie

If you start with that + the effigy/emmisary, you'll have more than enough to get started.  Note the above suggestions may change with the new edition boxes; they may come in different combinations.

You'll have to decide if you want to pickup the old models (and then print your own stat cards for M3E), or wait for the new models to be released (probably a few months).

Imma go a different route. If you want to play the Emissary then go with Seamus. You really do need the Mindless Zombies (or at least one or two which you may be able to get separately) but the synergy between the Emissary and Seamus is virtually unmatched elsewhere within the keywords.

The Emissary gives you Terrifying saturation with Redchapel crew and Terrifying is much more effective when you have a lot of it to pressure the opposing players hand and multiple models and actions. The Emissary also enables Seamus with the MZ significantly enhancing his damage out put buy letting him shoot multiple times per turn. 

You can still get Archie also for just 1 additional point above cost in a Forgotten crew (though he appears to be out of stock everywhere) and have even more big model terrifying as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd recommend you to take a few days going through the Res crews and stats cards, and then the other faction's crews. Picking a faction for the aesthetic is ok, but you want to be sure you also like how the keywords plays.

You have another Crowish models in TT: Tengu (Oni)

5 hours ago, Butch said:

So what would a typical list look like?

There are many examples here, but try to find posts by Fetid Strumpet. He is pretty harsh with his take on Redchapel, but quite truthful as well.

Typical list could be Seamus, Copycat, Nurse, Dead Doxy or two, Carrion Emissary, then Yin/Manos/Archie to taste, and maybe Dead Dandies. Bete Noire is situational, but good IMO (I play her a lot, but her role is different than you'd expect). Many people don't like Rotten Belles and Sybelle at all, but I've found them occasionally passable in casual games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You rang? :)

Lately, if I take Seamus as the leader, I tend to try to take as few actual Red Chapel models as possible. I tend to bring Bete or Dandies as counterpicks when the specific scheme pool warrants, but other than that I’m gernerally just hiring versatile or out of keyword. Better to hire amazing models and get slightly less value out of them because of the SS cost penalty then merely ok...ish models, which is the highest I think the best Red Chapel models reach, for cost. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

You rang? :)

Lately, if I take Seamus as the leader, I tend to try to take as few actual Red Chapel models as possible. I tend to bring Bete or Dandies as counterpicks when the specific scheme pool warrants, but other than that I’m gernerally just hiring versatile or out of keyword. Better to hire amazing models and get slightly less value out of them because of the SS cost penalty then merely ok...ish models, which is the highest I think the best Red Chapel models reach, for cost. 

I've been thinking about mourners if going zombie heavy since they can convert to schemes.

I personally find that a trap. If you can engineer dropping corpses where you want them to count as schemes, and can keep the mourner alive to actually be there when the schemes are scored, you probably could have just hired a model to drop a scheme there cheaper, and more efficiently then trying to do it via corpses.

And if you are counting on getting it from killing an enemy model, keep in mind many enemy crews use corpses, and, when it drops from them they get to choose where it drops, so you have to count on your opponent to be willfully not paying attention if they ever drop a corpse in a location you could use it as a scheme to score.

I mean, I was definitely in your place when I was first trying to use them, but the single solitary good use I’ve found for ever hiring a mourner, is if you are bringing Toshiro, because she can cluster near to get his bonus’s and can provide you a corpse for first turn summoning. That’s pretty much the only use for Mourners I’ve found.

18 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I mean, I was definitely in your place when I was first trying to use them, but the single solitary good use I’ve found for ever hiring a mourner, is if you are bringing Toshiro, because she can cluster near to get his bonus’s and can provide you a corpse for first turn summoning. That’s pretty much the only use for Mourners I’ve found

Just curious, with Seamus and going a bit OOK for other good models like Archie or the Emissary you can end with a lot of Terrifying models, don't you find the "Weeping Widow" ability useful?

No, not at all really.

I mean I’m glad the ability exists, but no, because it’s too hard to use.

Terrifying is an ok ability but if you are relying on to survive you aren’t going to. And in order to even use the ability it requires too much easily avoidable set up. You need the Mourner to get within 6 of the model with Ruthless, and actually stay there while the model with ruthless attacks.

That requires specific activation order, forced clumping, and your opponent to oblige you by staying in the aura, and that they don’t have an equally useful target to attack instead of the terrifying model. 

So I regard the weeping widow ability as a niche “bonus” ability. It isn’t an ability, that at present, I would ever hire for. It’s an added ability that might be useful once in maybe 20 games or so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I understand that the ideal in Malifaux is to have a large pool of models to choose from in order to adapt effectively to the scheme or strategy.

However, I don't want a load of models at home to pick and choose from as and when they may suit so looking for one crew along with any relevant summons.

I know this will hinder me at times but I'd rather that and learning to use the crew to the best of my ability.

1 hour ago, english_boar said:

I understand that the ideal in Malifaux is to have a large pool of models to choose from in order to adapt effectively to the scheme or strategy.

However, I don't want a load of models at home to pick and choose from as and when they may suit so looking for one crew along with any relevant summons.

I know this will hinder me at times but I'd rather that and learning to use the crew to the best of my ability.

You could probably get by with 20-30 total models once you dial in your few variations and a couple of Masters.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, english_boar said:

If you want few models, then picking a master with a crew able to do well in all strategies and most schemes would be the best. Bonus points if you can also get a second master with a crew that synergize with the first one and cover its weaknessess to be able to adapt, mix both crews and not being so predictable.

Add to those a few versatile models and a few good models from other keywords that you could want to hire OOK and you could have a lot of options with a smallish pool of models.

But I'm not that much into Res, so I can't recommend you the best fitting pair of masters for the above.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, Butch said:

So what would a typical list look like?

I don't know that there is a typical list. Usually about 50-60% of my Redchapel crews are pretty standard  the rest is a salt to taste. Closest would be something like:

Seamus w/Upgrade (2), Copycat Killer (0), Emissary (10), Archie/Sybelle/Manos (10), Dead Doxy (6), Dead Doxy (6), Nurse (7), Belle/Dandy + 4-5 stones

I usually go with Archie or Manos over Sybelle depending on what I need for the pool and have run both of them in quite a few Seamus led crews with a lot of success. Like @Fetid Strumpet I usually play quite a bit of OOK with Seamus for a lot of the same reasons though he and I tend to build a lot of things differently. There are some occasions where I would consider Bete but she is a scheme dependent choice for me. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, newsun said:

You could probably get by with 20-30 total models once you dial in your few variations and a couple of Masters.

If it's 20 I'd be happy, ideally I want no more than 20 models per faction crew.

20 hours ago, Ogid said:

If you want few models, then picking a master with a crew able to do well in all strategies and most schemes would be the best. Bonus points if you can also get a second master with a crew that synergize with the first one and cover its weaknessess to be able to adapt, mix both crews and not being so predictable.

Add to those a few versatile models and a few good models from other keywords that you could want to hire OOK and you could have a lot of options with a smallish pool of models.

But I'm not that much into Res, so I can't recommend you the best fitting pair of masters for the above.

I hadn't thought about a second master to work with the rest of the crew, that's something I will take a look into.

For myself my Redchapel core list is: Seamus w/ The Whisper, CCK, Carrion Emissary, X model that can give Focus usually either Toshiro or a Nurse.

Everything else is negotiable, and as a general rule of thumb I try to not hire any additional actual Red Chapel models. Dandies I think are the most common Red Chapel Keyword hire for me because if I take the Grave Spirit's Touch upgrade, and or Toshiro, I want a corpse on 1st turn, and they can create one for me while actually still being useful the rest of the game, unlike Mourners.

Bete is a total thematic failure, never hire her because you want to kill things with her, she's atrocious at it. Hire her when the scheme pool absolutely requires the opponent take a scheme marker based scheme because what you hire her for is her trail of gore action. She makes the opposing player have to be inefficient in scoring scheme marker based schemes because she can threaten to testlessly remove even guarded schemes at 15" (17" if she starts within 6" and LoS of the Emissary). Even if she doesn't stop the opponent from scoring, which she does...fairly...reliably, she makes them often spend more actions on scoring then they would like to. That's basically what you hire Dandies for too, but they have a little more utility since they can also make corpses for you, at the expense of needing a 7+ to actually destroy the scheme marker, which is a not insignificant cost since Seamus is greedy for cards.

If you're thinking of getting into Red Chapel I'd advise not buying the Red Chapel core box since the majority of models in it aren't worth hiring. Find Seamus or the CCK as singles and buy them individually, and pick up the High Society box for the situational hires it contains. Absolutely buy Carrion Fate, and I'd consider the Eternal Servitude box since Yin, Manos, and Toshiro have far more utility and benefit to Seamus than anything in his own keyword does. And as a happy byproduct, you'll be most of the way to a full and playable Yan Lo Crew at the same time. I'll second @thewrathchilde's suggestion of Archie. He's pretty much a staple in most Resser crew's I've played, and unless you are playing something like Jack, generally is so powerful he's worth dropping something from almost any in keyword model to hire him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1