The Tormented Crew tips

psychogeek

7 minutes ago, psychogeek said:

Thanks! Still more to know..

like any particular versatile models that synergize well?  

In Outcast Midnight stalker is a great scheme runner.

Hans can give out staggered at enormous range.

Hodgepodge Emissary gives healing, scheme markers (Which translate to extra movement near the Dead Outlaw) and all the trinkets are excellent for Tormented.

Avoid Ten Thunders at all cost, they have way to much + flips and ruthless.

I've been running Daw a ton recently to learn him and have found its a super solid crew.  The amount of card drain on your opponent is insane, so I've been bring some exact Execute capable models - Rusty - into my lists.  Hanged are also insane for their forced discard and extra Upgrade giving, Guilty are just good minions, I've found Drowned rather lack luster though.

4 hours ago, Davos said:

Avoid Ten Thunders at all cost, they have way to much + flips and ruthless.

I've been running Daw a ton recently to learn him and have found its a super solid crew.  The amount of card drain on your opponent is insane, so I've been bring some exact Execute capable models - Rusty - into my lists.  Hanged are also insane for their forced discard and extra Upgrade giving, Guilty are just good minions, I've found Drowned rather lack luster though.

Where does he crew shine and fair with schemes and strats?

The amount of resource drain on your opponent is insane; lots of terrifying, Lady Leiga's anti-cheat aura, gets around Defensive tech by attacking Movement.  So far, I'd had ok results with idols, bur reckoning is where I think he plays best.  As far as schemes, I think he can do most of them, Outlaws are good schemers for marker based ones, and killing isn't hard.  Monty is a great claim jump pick, and Hanged can play markers with an attack

5 hours ago, Davos said:

The amount of resource drain on your opponent is insane; lots of terrifying, Lady Leiga's anti-cheat aura, gets around Defensive tech by attacking Movement.  So far, I'd had ok results with idols, bur reckoning is where I think he plays best.  As far as schemes, I think he can do most of them, Outlaws are good schemers for marker based ones, and killing isn't hard.  Monty is a great claim jump pick, and Hanged can play markers with an attack

so really he has a good all-round crew. I was told avoid him into arcanists, but are there other scenarios to avoid bringing him?

46 minutes ago, psychogeek said:

so really he has a good all-round crew. I was told avoid him into arcanists, but are there other scenarios to avoid bringing him?

I actually quite enjoy playing into 6 hp Daw as a plink damage spamming Nephilim. Blade Rush from Inhuman Reflexes and of course, Black Blood, make his primary defense mostly useless. 

I think Arcs are fine, as long as your opponent can't field Raspy.  The other big one is Ten Thunders, don't go anywhere near them.  As for the other factions, I think he's fine.  I actually think he's a very good pick into Outcasts, since we have the fewest number of ruthless models

Most recent game I played with jack I skewed slightly towards hazardous terrain. So jakuuna, crooked man, rusty Alice, drowned, monty, Jack and lady. 

The crew can get very oppressive played like this, jakuuna and Alice stick people in the hazardous terrain(create traps and drowning aura) , plinking damage and giving out injured. The crooked man is the key, handing out staggered to anyone in the terrain effects with his shafted ability and then blasting them with his earthquake when they are neg 2 to move. 

Jack and monty then wade in with their nooses and pick off weakened models. 

Things I've learnt:

1. Monty is super controlling and tough to deal with, especially with his aura and pulses. Don't underestimate cursed to watch, I often use him to obey jakuuna to move after her drowning aura is in place to catch models your opponent thought was safe. 

2. Jack is not as resilient as I thought and you've got to be careful how you engage with him. He can operate fairly independently from his crew. Drawn to betrayal is a great ability that you'll probably use most turns. 

3. Rusty fit surprisingly well in the crew. She contributes to the damage grind with her aura, adds another source of hazardous terrain, and has a min 3 gun for blasting fools. 

4.played like this, the crew is super bubbly, so strongest is strats and schemes that favour that (I was playing turf war and clogged the central marker with bad stuff) 

5. Drowned didn't work for me, I took him for his vomit, but he's not great so I'd probably drop him next time. 

Edited by steamboyd
Autocorrect

• 4 weeks later...

I often see Jack Daw with Marlena Webster for the added middle finger directly in the face of your opponent, but it's expensive!

Montresor & The Midnight Stalker both with Eternal is demoralizing, but an additional card drain on the card drainiest crew in the game.

Since you're bubbling up, Johan adding an area heal to people is nice.

And the Malifaux Child is always a good addition.

Don't forget to use Dead Outlaws to force your enemy models At Gunpoint to kill your Guilty at the end of the turn!  Gotta build that hand size up!

Had a depressing game with Jack against Rasputina today. She placed 5 ice pillars in the first activation of the first turn. Managed to get  two thirds of my crew in 1" of those so moving out of the deployment zone was a drag. Then I wasted 4-5 actions (pulls and lures) to get a Crooked Man in position for a 4 man stagger-earthquake and everything went as planned until I flipped a black joker in the dmg step. The Ice Golem absolutely destroys Monty and with all the shockwaves and blasts my opponent didn't care about terrifying at all. It only went downhill from there.

Is Tina a bad matchup in general? To be fair I've only played Jack a few times in 2nd and this was my first Jack Daw game in 3rd but it felt like an uphill battle from minute one. Any advice for the matchup?

3 minutes ago, Micawber said:

Had a depressing game with Jack against Rasputina today. She placed 5 ice pillars in the first activation of the first turn. Managed to get  two thirds of my crew in 1" of those so moving out of the deployment zone was a drag. Then I wasted 4-5 actions (pulls and lures) to get a Crooked Man in position for a 4 man stagger-earthquake and everything went as planned until I flipped a black joker in the dmg step. The Ice Golem absolutely destroys Monty and with all the shockwaves and blasts my opponent didn't care about terrifying at all. It only went downhill from there.

Is Tina a bad matchup in general? To be fair I've only played Jack a few times in 2nd and this was my first Jack Daw game in 3rd but it felt like an uphill battle from minute one. Any advice for the matchup?

When multiple models are going to be affected by an ice pillar, it is almost always worth destroying the pillar (one model uses one action to destroy it, saves the rest of them a discard/action loss to slow). If you're in range to be affected by a pillar, you're in range to destroy it.

It can be helpful to use your cheap/expendable models for this. Even insignificant ones can take down ice pillars.

That said, yes, Raspy really punishes bubble crews, so you'll be feeling the pain from that matchup.

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

When multiple models are going to be affected by an ice pillar, it is almost always worth destroying the pillar (one model uses one action to destroy it, saves the rest of them a discard/action loss to slow). If you're in range to be affected by a pillar, you're in range to destroy it.

It can be helpful to use your cheap/expendable models for this. Even insignificant ones can take down ice pillars.

That said, yes, Raspy really punishes bubble crews, so you'll be feeling the pain from that matchup.

I thought it's not possible for insignificant models like Ligea to destroy a ice pillar because they can't take interact actions? 

I actually did just that - use my cheap models to destroy pillars but with two silent ones and multiple two-pillars-per-action triggers its hardly action-efficient, especially since you have to discard a card to get to move into base contact AND destroy the pillars.

1 minute ago, Micawber said:

I thought it's not possible for insignificant models like Ligea to destroy a ice pillar because they can't take interact actions? 

Destructible: Models within 1" of a piece of Destructible Terrain may take an Action to destroy that Destructible Terrain and remove it from the table. If a model is standing on Destructible Terrain when it is destroyed, that model falls.

No interaction required, I believe!

I actually did just that - use my cheap models to destroy pillars but with two silent ones and multiple two-pillars-per-action triggers its hardly action-efficient, especially since you have to discard a card to get to move into base contact AND destroy the pillars.

You don't have to discard a card to move to the pillar (it only applies at start of activation). If you start within 1" of the pillar, you can destroy it, so you don't have to spend the move. See above text on destructible.

• Like 1

Also I'm guessing you were in Wedge or Flank deployment? Potentially start your deployment further away from them (you don't have to go to the front of the wedge).

You may find future matchups easier, as Raspy is a slow crew. On corner or standard deployment, it'll take her forever to get close enough to ice pillar you.

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Destructible: Models within 1" of a piece of Destructible Terrain may take an Action to destroy that Destructible Terrain and remove it from the table. If a model is standing on Destructible Terrain when it is destroyed, that model falls.

You don't have to discard a card to move to the pillar (it only applies at start of activation). If you start within 1" of the pillar, you can destroy it, so you don't have to spend the move. See above text on destructible.

Oh wow you're absolutely right. We were both so sure it required an interact action that we didn't even check the rulebook. Well that makes the pillars a lot less punishing :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Micawber said:

Oh wow you're absolutely right. We were both so sure it required an interact action that we didn't even check the rulebook. Well that makes the pillars a lot less punishing :)

Lol,  yeah, that'd make a matchup against her broken. No wonder you were struggling!

I'd expect a slightly more balanced game next time, but yeah, have a good strategy for the pillars. If you need to be within 6" of each other, you can spread out enough that it'll be hard to hit multiple models with a single pillar. Also you'll get used to making the correct choice between destroy pillar, discard for it, or accept the slow. It takes practice!

• Thanks 1