Communication & Wyrd

Nef

Just feels a little frustrating for those of us that didn't join the beta (because we don't have a regular playgroup, so we don't have anything to add). I've been trying to get some friends to play (but now there's no incentive to get them to learn, because a large rule change is coming), there's less incentive to buy and paint models (because we've got no idea what's going to be getting new sculpts as part of 3e, and which crews I'll be able to play the models out of), and so many of the busier forums have really died down (either because people are in the beta or just taking a break before the new edition).

14 hours ago, Primate said:

Just feels a little frustrating for those of us that didn't join the beta (because we don't have a regular playgroup, so we don't have anything to add). I've been trying to get some friends to play (but now there's no incentive to get them to learn, because a large rule change is coming), there's less incentive to buy and paint models (because we've got no idea what's going to be getting new sculpts as part of 3e, and which crews I'll be able to play the models out of), and so many of the busier forums have really died down (either because people are in the beta or just taking a break before the new edition).

Why not join beta to inform yourself on possible future of the game to keep inform choices as new players? As far as I've seen, there is no rule against someone who hasn't played m2e to not participate in beta for m3e. In fact, an unbiased eye could be exactly what they would like.  

Claiming disadvantage because you don't use an opportunity is silly.

56 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Why not join beta to inform yourself on possible future of the game to keep inform choices as new players? As far as I've seen, there is no rule against someone who hasn't played m2e to not participate in beta for m3e. In fact, an unbiased eye could be exactly what they would like.  

Uh... Sol, they have to choose you. It's an application that you can be not selected for.

2 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Entirely willing to concede I was wrong, but I was under the impression that the people wyrd wanted to sign up were people able to play the game and actually test/review things. My play group is irregular, I might be able to swing two games in a month, I might be able to play none. Bearing in mind that I was potentially unable to play a single game of malifaux (2e or 3e) for the entire beta period, I didn't think my insight would be useful in the beta process. Competetive games are full of people with strong opinions on what's balanced or not and no experience backing it up, I didn't want to be adding to it. I also didn't bother signing up because I presumed they wouldn't accept me due to me not being able to commit to playing any games, I would have given it a go if I'd realised that was going to be their favoured way of communicating with the player base about the new edition.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:25 AM, Primate said:

Entirely willing to concede I was wrong, but I was under the impression that the people wyrd wanted to sign up were people able to play the game and actually test/review things. My play group is irregular, I might be able to swing two games in a month, I might be able to play none. Bearing in mind that I was potentially unable to play a single game of malifaux (2e or 3e) for the entire beta period, I didn't think my insight would be useful in the beta process. Competetive games are full of people with strong opinions on what's balanced or not and no experience backing it up, I didn't want to be adding to it. I also didn't bother signing up because I presumed they wouldn't accept me due to me not being able to commit to playing any games, I would have given it a go if I'd realised that was going to be their favoured way of communicating with the player base about the new edition.

You can try to play beta games in Vassal. That has worked for me in the past on small betas were no one near me could make the time.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, Primate said:

My play group is irregular, I might be able to swing two games in a month, I might be able to play none. 

It really is up for Wyrd to decide what they are looking for and to that, it is anyone's guess.  I don't even think those in Beta really get a say in how valuable their input is.  My assumption with all beta testing for anything is that numbers are a good thing since even if you only play one or two games it adds to the total volume of information.  

Plus, even if you don't get to playtest very much, you can still theorycraft and look at how interactions may work or break in the game and that can be helpful.

But ultimately, its the fine people at wyrd who get to sift through all our musings and determine what is important.

Since uncertainty is so high communication is key at this time. Likely from retailers as well as customers. There seems to be a growing number of people that don't trust in wyrd (I am in no way one of those people). I think we can face it that last years release schedule was horrible. Model release dates changed and over a year later some models had still not come out. Some more information in one highlighted place would likely have answered the issue for retailers and customers alike. Personally I am accounting it all up to growing pains but a year in wears even my huge fanboy shoes thin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2