10T Keyword thoughts

Da Git

So I dunno if this will be useful, but I thought I'd make a list of what each master currently has for their keywords and some ideas I had on where I could see it heading...

Last Blossom

• Misaki + Shang
  • H - Ototo
  • H - Yamaziko
  • M - Torakage
  • M - Jorogumo
  • M - Oiran
  • M - Wokou Raider (Outcast)

I'd like to see Last Blossom expand on its Ninja theme. To that end, I could definitely see Last Blossom losing the Jorogumo & Oiran to Asami & Youko respectively as they fit their themes much better.  In return, I'd like to see Thunders brothers, Thunders Archers and Katanaka snipers all become Last Blossom.  I'd also like to see Wokou Raiders move up to Enforcers, they might become duel faction?  Some other potential models could be Katanaka Crime Bosses for a second enforcer (along with WR), Lotus Eaters and Lone Swordsman (although these don't really fit the ninja theme).  Oh & PLEASE make Ototo good this edition!

Foundry

• Mei Feng + Emberling
  • H - Kang
  • H - Sparks (Gremlins)
  • E - Rail Golom (Arcanists)
  • M - Rail Workers
  • M - Willie (Arcanists)
  • M - Metal Gamin (Arcanists)
  • Mecha-pig (Gremlins)

I think Foundry needs some new models as most are outside faction. However, all of these models fit fairly well aside from the Mecha-pig as it doesn't feel right in the crew unless Sparks is there too (IMO).  There's nothing currently within 10T that actually fits her aesthetic that could become Foundry, so Mei probably wouldn't mind some new 10T centric models.

Darkened Make everything 10T!

• Lynch + Huggy
  • H - Gwenyth Maddox
  • E - Graves
  • E - Tannen
  • M - Illuminated
  • M - Beckoner (Neverborn)
  • M - Depleted (Neverborn)

This is probably going to be a touch controversial and anger Neverborn players (I'm in the same boat here) even more, but I think all of these models should become pure 10T. It doesn't make sense that Lynch would still lend them out to the Neverborn now that he's split off.  That said, I do think Graves & Tannen should retain Nephillim & Woe respectively so they can be taken with Nekima & Pandora (especially now that they've got such pretty alt sculpts!)

Ancestors

• Yan Lo & Soul Porter
  • H - Toshiro
  • H - Manos (Resurrectionsts)
  • E - Izamu
  • E - Yin
  • E - Chiaki

Retainers

• E - Sun Quiang
  • M - Ashigaru (Resurrectionsts)
  • M - Komainu
  • M - Goryo (Resurrectionsts)
  • M - Onryo (Resurrectionsts)

This one is quite strong. Whilst I've never really understood why Sun is a Retainer, I can't see anywhere else he can go, so I don't mind... Onryo to me a also a bit to rage filled-vengence seeking ghosts to be function as retainers... I'm also pretty solid with everything else on this list. Something to maybe add as a Retainer could be Charm Warders?

5 Rivers

• Shenlong + Peasants
  • H - Sensei Yu
  • M - Monks of High River
  • M - Monks of Wandering River
  • M - Monks of Low River
  • M - Fermented River Monks (PLEASE change this to Monks of Fermented River for synchronicity!)

This one needs some help in the upper ranks. Samurai are said to serve the Dragon, so maybe could go here (although they don't fit the Monk aesthetic at all). I could also kind of see the Lone Swordsman here too in a similar vein. Dawn Serpent could be a nice addition too (& make it an Enforcer).  Lotus Eaters could go here too as they kind of look similar.  For a new Enforcer, maybe some monks that have started joining the disciplines together?

Black Sheep

• McCabe & Luna
  • H - Sidir Archibal
  • H - Master Queeg
  • M - Wrastrals

This one definitely needs help.  McCabe also had Infiltration Guardsman, but I think he should really lose that.  That said, I think Guild Hounds & Mounted Guardsman should gain Black Sheep. Guild Hounds are needed for Luna to function as the alpha-hound and Mounted Guardsman because of the Ramones from the Nightmare set.  It would be easy to justify in the fluff that some mounted guards & hounds enjoyed the adventures and stayed loyal with him when he left.  Guild Pathfinder is another interesting one as as much as I would hate it (I've converted mine up to be more 10T), I could definitely see it going Guild only (maybe with Black Sheep).

Oni

• Asami & Amanjaku
  • H - Betty
  • H - Ama no Jaku (Outcasts)
  • E - Yasunori
  • M - Jorogumo
  • M - Obsidian Oni
  • M - Yokai
  • M - Katashiro
  • M - Tengu
  • M - Akaname (Gremlins)

This one is also very strong. Maybe only another Enforcer? I'd also like to see the points costs spread out a bit as there currently are two 5ss models, two 4ss models and nothing in the 7ss & 8ss range. Dawn Serpent could possibly become an Oni too.

Qi & Gong

• Youko + Totem

Obviously this one needs stuff. I really think Oiran will go here.  Otherwise the only other current models that could go here are the Lotus Eaters & Katanaka Crime Bosses to collect payments.

Thoughts? Agree, disagree?

Add Neil Henry to the Foundry list.

And you forgot about The Brewmaster; it's not 3rd Edition yet!

Tri-Chi

• The Brewmaster & Apprentice Wesley
  • H - Fingers (Gremlins)
  • H - Popcorn Turner (Gremlins)
  • E - Whiskey Golem (Gremlins)
  • E - Cooper Jones (Gremlins)
  • M - Moon Shinobi (Gremlins)
  • M - Whiskey Gamin (Gremlins)
  • M - Akaname
  • M - Tanuki
  • M - Fermented River Monks

Finally, The Shadow Emissary gets the Oni characteristic with the Asami specific Conflux upgrade, not sure if that counts for your list.

This is pure speculation as to where things might be going, but:

- As 3e will be an attempt to streamline things, it's likely that abilities that let a master hire out of faction will be folded into the keyword rule itself.  These abilities ate up upgrade slots and filled space on the front of cards.  Best to get rid of them.  This also means that conceivably any master would be able to hire out of faction if that model had their keyword.  So, for example, Von Schill might be able to hire Anna Lovelace without penalty.

- Models may very well have multiple keywords.  Take Ice Dancers; December cultists who perform at the Star Theatre.  Makes sense for them to have both Showgirl and December keywords, right?

- Which brings us to McCabe.  It's possible that some of his old Guild friends will retain the Black Sheet keyword in addition to whatever else they had.  Also, given his being fired from the Guild, it would make sense from a story standpoint if he also grabbed himself some hired muscle paid for by his Ten Thunders employers.  So they could give the Black Sheep label to a few Outcast models (Wokou Raiders and Desperate Mercs maybe?) and it would make perfect sense.

I think That the Oiran and the Katanaka stuff(Snipers, Crime Bosses) would all fit well into the new Brothel crew. perhaps they will get some more performer type models as it states they have a lot of access to lure. I expect them to be several smaller models with one or two beaters to keep the brothel workers safe.

• Like 1

Fuhatsu, The Lone Samurai, the rest of the samurai, the archers, and Ototo need a grouping together that fits them, because the modern-meets-midevil military aesthetic isn't really supported by anyone as a whole. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, Rurouni Benshin said:

I think "Last Blossom" suits her just fine.  "Katanaka" is more of a family name, whereas "Last Blossom" is actually the name of their secret organization.

IMO, Last Blossom seemed like her little cadre within the Ten Thunders rather than a secret organisation, they were the guys that were loyal to her first, clan second. So even though she is now the Oyabun, the Last Blossom are still her most loyal followers and those she would choose to go on missions with for preference. 

However, now that she is Oyabun, I think all the Katanaka stuff would probably join the Last Blossom.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, Da Git said:

IMO, Last Blossom seemed like her little cadre within the Ten Thunders rather than a secret organisation, they were the guys that were loyal to her first, clan second. So even though she is now the Oyabun, the Last Blossom are still her most loyal followers and those she would choose to go on missions with for preference. 

However, now that she is Oyabun, I think all the Katanaka stuff would probably join the Last Blossom.

Maybe she will get two play styles. One pure ninja (last blosssom), and one where she is more of up front commander (katanaka). With that said, I think it fits thematically that the katanaka models will be general faction models. 

19 hours ago, Deathinabox said:

Hinamatsu is likely gonna be part of the qi and gong

Super excited for this, Hina is such a beautiful model.  Ever since I saw her I wanted her in 10T!

1 hour ago, Patzer said:

Maybe she will get two play styles. One pure ninja (last blosssom), and one where she is more of up front commander (katanaka). With that said, I think it fits thematically that the katanaka models will be general faction models. 

That would actually be really cool. Hopefully she does have some sort of commander abilities now that she's the Oyabun... just as long as she still cuts people's heads off!