Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Franchute

10 hours ago, wobbly_goggy said:

Hello, don't know what I'll be painting but I will do something. I'm back in th UK for another week, when I get back to Spain I'll do..... something.

Getting drunk? 😂

11 hours ago, Viruk said:

Well, not entirely as the little one spent another week at the hospital with stomach problems. But things are looking up, thanks for kind words

I hope Little Viruk gets well soon! And then I can hire Little Viruk to steal your hands and send them to me, really love those models! The Grootslang conversion is fantastic, and this way you get to use the two models even Marcus struggles to fit in his crew! 

• Thanks 1

Finished the Autumn Knights which combined with the 2 Will o'Wisps I finished previously brings me to 27ss this month. Also finished my Femme Fatale entry but those pics and points will have to wait. With some travel coming up this may be all of my hobby progress for the month but hopefully I can get at least a little time in.

IMG_20180715_113040090_2.jpg

IMG_20180715_113524198_2.jpg

IMG_20180715_120129419_2.jpg

IMG_20180715_120159214_2.jpg

IMG_20180715_114537319_2.jpg

IMG_20180715_114808019_2.jpg

• Like 5

So I’m off on holiday in a week and need to do so much tidying, packing, etc before I go. So, calling it done for the month

The Sow (8)

04_A3_D117_80_AA_4_D81_98_E6_2010_FDB6_A

02438907_189_B_409_F_883_F_9_E7449588_FB

A wild boar (5)

18_B42328_2_EC7_4_D9_B_AAEB_405_C88_D64_

Burt and Fingers (18)

B3_BDF735_C4_FA_4997_A180_2068116_CCC05.

Total of 31 points from a planned 35 and half the models I had planned to do this month have actually been done.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Piccio said:

Hi there.

My painting room is still occupied since half June cos I'm hosting my aunt in holiday. So I think I'm out of the challenge :( I hope I restart painting something in august or september.

Is your aunt conscious of all the art destruction she is causing? I'll miss your painting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Franchute said:
5 hours ago, Piccio said:

Hi there.

My painting room is still occupied since half June cos I'm hosting my aunt in holiday. So I think I'm out of the challenge :( I hope I restart painting something in august or september.

Is your aunt conscious of all the art destruction she is causing? I'll miss your painting.

@Piccio is not strongh enought. He must convert the aunt to ouor noble art! :Puppy:

• Like 1

Hello,

Updating the status of my monthly pledge:

IMG_20180718_150043.jpg

After many attempts and more bases primed, I succeeded fixing the two "black bloods" to their bases.

IMG_20180718_145847.jpg

The "Energy Worm" is done. Till have to refine with black paint the base lips. Met some troubles with Vallejo Still Water: got a tendency to become opaque.

IMG_20180718_153336.jpg

Worked with putty and primed the Rail Golem.

I completed and uploaded the pic of my "Femme Fatale" model for the relative contest. As you know cannot comment as regard.... but I'll do that and upload pics here ASAP.

• Like 1

Who says Malifaux is too fine for an airbrush?
So, yesterday, I had the opportunity to have a play with the airbrush. It must be noted that I am very, very much an airbrush amateur. I would have used an airbrush for, honestly, about 4 hours in total before yesterday. I was using an Iwata Revolution CR airbrush, and a repackaged ALDI compressor, and using Reaper Paints (which are not natively airbrush friendly) in an approximately 8:1 ratio with Tamiya Airbrush Thinner.

I learned that it'd be near-impossible to use an airbrush for an entire Malifaux miniature (unless it was something that was both huge and essentially one colour - looking at you, Ice Golem!), but if you have something that is mostly fabric, or mostly one colour (Hoarcats!), then you can definitely save a lot of time by using an airbrush for the basecoating. In a few hours, I managed base colours on eight Mindless Zombies, a Flesh Construct, a Desolation Engine, three Punk Zombies, eight Guild Guard, three Guild Riflemen, one Pathfinder, three December Acolytes, three Hoarcats, one Ice Golem (yep, I started again!), two Effigies and a Guild Autopsy.

After doing some basecoats (always starting ultra-dark), I worked up the courage to try a few highlighting layers. I grabbed a quick snap as I worked my way through a Rifleman. In sequence:

j3JBCwU.jpg

I was super-pleased with the final results. If, like me, you're better at buying miniatures than getting around to painting them, this might help!

Caedrus, over and out.

• Like 7

Looks like a great start. I'd say you'll save yourself a lot of time getting to the detailing from there, some of the parts in the last picture look pretty much done already.   

I'd say airbrushing is probably particularly useful for those kind of giant-coated models to get some colour variation down. There's a lot of flat surface to break up there and the way the folds are sculpted doesn't always give you a good spread of colour with more traditional shading. 

• Like 1

@lusciousmccabePretty much exactly this!

Without some contrast variation, the greatcoats (and similar fabrics) become very boring. With too much contrast, they look a bit contrived.

I took an extra couple of photos to show the greatcoat surfaces. These photos are very close in terms of being a true representation of the colour, hue and contrast. There's still a little work to do on this coat, but I was very pleased with the smoothness of the colour gradation / contrast compromise.

1J3wzsm.jpg

I'm now wishing I hadn't taken these photos. I've found two sprue spurs and a mold line that'll need cleaning. Dang.

• Like 5

Great work on the airbrush @Caedrus, you've inspired me to dig mine out for my riflemen.

I thought I'd give an update on my limited progress so far this month.

I've done all the blocking and washing for Sun Quiang (similar bases are also completed for the two Goryo).

IMG_20180719_141908.jpg

I've learnt a valuable lesson this month; it was too hot when I undercoated my models for this month, and the undercoat went grainy. I've tried to recover them by a judicious use of some stiff brushing, they'll have to do.

I've also decided to get my Malifaux Child done (because he's just a base, and therefore very easy.

IMG_20180717_202505.jpg

Cheers all,

'Brown.

• Like 3

I’m seeing some great painting and very inspirational stuff so far, keep it up all looking good.

So, for me, after saying I’m done for the month and “should” be packing for holiday, tidying house, buying euros, going to work, etc...

I got a bit carried away

FB5_BCD5_B_D1_A3_4_B53_91_FE_2_C3_AE4_E9

5_CC4_A66_C_0_E44_4_C37_95_BF_2_DFE48_EB

Im going to get the rest of the structure done before going away but the gremlins will have to wait until I get back in August

• Like 6

These guys have been sitting around on my desk partly done for what seems like forever. So now they are done. As usual with things I don't use/don't care about so much I have made only 60% effort

Guild Guard (3) + Malifaux Child (2) = 5 SS so far
20180720_100246.jpg

20180720_100317.jpg

Also white's look super reflecty and bad with my phone. They aren't that bad in real life, honest!

Edited by wobbly_goggy
forgot to add SS costs. yet again.
  • Like 6

PART 2:
This due was bought when released (or maybe GenCon pre-release?), basic coloured for UK National 2016 and finally finished...
I really want to finish off this crew properly as they're my favourite crew... but rushing to get stuff done is really off putting and makes painting unenjoyable.. which is why I like this challenge :D

5+ Iron Skeeter (6) = 11SS thus far

20180720_123321.jpg

• Like 6