Monthly painting challenge - April

Franchute

On 4/11/2018 at 2:41 AM, H4ml3t said:

Question for the group: 

Beforelong I will be working on the Autumn Knights. There is some really cool looking moss in my yard that would look great on their bases. Is there any way to use real moss on a base?

You might try this :
https://ak-interactive.com/product/natural-leaves-plants-neutral-protection/

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 2:41 AM, Caedrus said:

If you want to stretch your skills on fire, here's a good link!

That’s a nice looking campfire. One thing to note about the tutorial: flames don’t always go all the way to black. The black tips work here because they suggest smoke. For cleaner burning fire that doesn’t consume a lot of solid material like wood or coal, you want to stop with red or even orange. Laszlo Jakusovszky has the best article on fire theory that I’ve seen. Well worth the read. 

Digging everyone’s work so far this month!

6 hours ago, misterfinn said:

That’s a nice looking campfire. One thing to note about the tutorial: flames don’t always go all the way to black. The black tips work here because they suggest smoke. For cleaner burning fire that doesn’t consume a lot of solid material like wood or coal, you want to stop with red or even orange. Laszlo Jakusovszky has the best article on fire theory that I’ve seen. Well worth the read. 

Digging everyone’s work so far this month!

Think this would fit Carlos perfectly, thanks, both of you! The day I redo the flames I will post new pics 😃 

@JoachimI'm sure you've seen this excellent dia de los muertos crew, which is just wonderful... On the other hand, yours is much more colourful - beautifully so. Loving the Abuela sombrero. My Perdita crew are done as Steampunk English Gentry, but I really want to redo them as Scots...

@misterfinnI'd forgotten about that tutorial. A very good suggestion, that one. 

So many lovely paint jobs this month...

1 hour ago, Caedrus said:

@JoachimI'm sure you've seen this excellent dia de los muertos crew, which is just wonderful... On the other hand, yours is much more colourful - beautifully so. Loving the Abuela sombrero. My Perdita crew are done as Steampunk English Gentry, but I really want to redo them as Scots...

Yeah I did and it is pretty amazing. I did go for another style, and the goal is to use very bright colors.

Hey, I know we are not at the beginning of the month anymore, but i have already made some good work i can share with you. In fact, I wanted to finish my manor before doing anything else... So now that it's done, I can share with you what i'll have for April :

My manor (didn't count last month, so It will give me 5points this month !)
Then 2 sets of Customeeple gardens (5points), 1 komainu (5), 2 flying piglets (8), 1 punk zombie (7), 1 Ohaguro Bettari (8)
For a total of 38 points

30714046_10155576610970847_3466819819473
30726960_10155576610830847_9946331864471

• Like 4

2nd model done this month, Vintage Misaki for 15SS (bringing the total for the month to 23SS). I am really s**t at taking good, clear photos... so I may try and reshoot this later.  

First, all credit to Mako for the inspiration on color and style. I don't know if that person is still around, but I used his examples to paint my original Misaki and she's one of my favorite models... so I decided to use the pattern again. (https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Painting+Misaki+by+Mako)

This time, however, I did attempt the freehand cherry blossoms. They came out better than I thought the would.  

Overall, I love and hate this model. She had way too much exposed skin... and I HATE flesh. I am terrible at it.  

I also hate her gaping mouth. Ugh. 

I'm happy with the dress, the blade, and the freehand. I've a long way to go before I can hang with all of the wizards in this thread though... just gotta keep painting! 

I am really stoked to have the inspiration from all of you. This has been a tremendous resource of ideas! I'm starting in on my Stitched next and I will be using ideas from @Burnin' Coal for the body bits and @Joachim for the glowing eyes.  Hopefully I won't let ya'll down ;) 

large.1172845187_MisakiFinal.jpg.cea0345

**PICS AFTER THIS ARE POST EDIT** 

large.303904990_VintageMisaki2.jpg.0d1e6

large.1811079773_VintageMisaki1.jpg.a99e

Edited by Shock & Awe
I didn't like the dark picture... So I attempted to take a better one... which one do you prefer?
  • Like 7

@Chou Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it! I would disagree that it is crazy skill. It is actually not as hard as it looks. Though I agree it takes a bit of practice to go from "just" coloring and highlighting a model and to go to some free-hand work. I guess it is just a lot of practice and trial and error. If you could see all the failed attempts at free-hand ... 😛

It's actually a pattern that repeats itself and it gives a really awesome effect when you look at it from a distance.

• Like 1

Mid month update but it will also be the final update for this month. No more free days left to paint for me this month so all I managed this month was 15 stones for rasputina. While I was hoping to get the ice dancers started Carlos was sitting there glued up and staring at me so he got a first base coat lick of paint too.

Next month I will finish Carlos and hopefully get the ice dancers done also. Unsure whether to paint the flames as normal red orange yellow fire or do it more like a magical purplish type flame. Until then here is Raspy and the start of Carlos.

17 minutes ago, Aa7 said:

For some reason I can't upload any images, it just keeps saying error uploading with both big and small images so will try again later to post the pictures

You have to use an external image hosting website like imgbb or imgur or... And just get the links to the image here

@bedjy I'm impressed!

The customeeple public garden seems true. I suppose it's even better placed on a playmatt or game table.

I please you to post some other pictures, with more details of your Mansion. Windows are very realistic as the roofs. Did you use metal paints for the tower roof? And what about the green spots? Are they just painted or you used stuffs for base decorations? Pleese more picts.... and congrats!

• Like 1