Wishlisting: The Guild [Spoilers]

JDAntoine

Hi guys,

From time to time I think we see some really cool topics regarding models in the Guild we wish where just a sliver better or clearly see as being one of the reasons as to why the Guild is shaped the way it is *cough* Frank/Austringers *cough*, nevertheless I think a lot of the Guild community has some good and awesome ideas when asked about it. 
So I decided to make a topic dedicated to characters you wish to see upgraded or characters you wish to be implemented within the game. After all we never know what the future might hold in store for us ;)

After having read Wave 4 and some topics on the old Governor-General I can understand as to why his character wasn't implented into the game. I felt his perso was strong, slightly horrible and downright difficult to capture into a single Master. However with the new Governor-General I think it might open the doors again to see something new...

- Franco Marlow
When I think about the new Governor-General and the lore pieces we have recieved surrounding Franco Marlow and how suprised Lucius was to see dozens of Guard he didn't know I instantly think he would be a very good Master to fill in non-Construct Minion Summonning shoes that are empty right now. While Sonnia to an extend can do something like it, (the Pathfinder can set his traps) many of the Guardsman feel like 'underused' models that would fit in perfectly with a summoners card. To give a nice little sum up of what we could be possibly dealing with:

3 Guild Hound
4 Guild Guard
5 Guild Rifleman
6 Guild Austringer / Guild Pathfinder / Guard Sergeant
7 Mounted Guard

If you guys think something like it could be very cool I'd probably go something akin to this route:

• (1) Keys to the Breach (Ca 6:ram / TN * / Rg 10): Name a Guardsmen Minion model. The TN of this Action is 10 :ram:ram plus the Soulstone Cost of the named model. Summon the named model within 1" of target Scheme Marker, then discard the Scheme Marker. This Action may only be taken once per Turn. 

I would love to hear your guys ideas behind it and other abilities we might have in store here, just looking for some really cool open minded debate and ideas really :D.

- The Burning Man
The old Governor-General  in his partial Tyranic state is something I believe could be very interesting for future reference, partially because it reminds me somewhat of the destruction and re-creation of Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen. Odd as that might sound I think it leaves us with possibilities for having a 'monster admist the Guild' for a smaller ammount of time. 
latest?cb=20141230194230

In a way I think it could be very interesting to have something akin to a "Reverse Rider" if you will. Something that starts out incredibly strong but likely is gone as soon as we enter turn 3 or 4... 
Again I would love to hear some creative ideas around him.

- Dr. Hackeem Tewolde
Something tells me it's extremely likely we'll see Hackeem appear in the next wave, my expectation is that he basically is a referse Sandeep, a man that decided he could sell his morals to better himself and perhaps more importantly ward us from the likely repeat of history that once again will clean this Earth from magic. At which point the mechnical maters have the option to dominate.

If his floating mechanisms are any kind of suggestion I think we might see more steam-punk guard and flying machines! I wouldn't be suprised if Phiona was actually "helped" by Dr. Tewolde.

Looking forward to your wishlist!

JD

• Like 1

Obligatory wikipedia link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Empire also known as Abyssinia, 1137 to 1974 in our timeline.

Presumably something similar in the Malifaux timeline but there's this thing called "The Scramble for Africa" that happens from 1880 to 1914 that the current Malifaux timeline is sort of in the middle of.  But, interestingly enough:

In 1870, only 10 percent of Africa was under European control; by 1914 it had increased to 90 percent of the continent, with only Ethiopia (Abyssinia), the Dervish state (Present day Somalia) [1] and Liberia still being independent.

So if Guild control of territory is mirroring European colonialism any, that would put Abyssinia in the areas less likely to be Guild occupied, or at least no more occupied that the European nations.

As a tangent, the account of the Treaty of Wuchale sounds like the sort of story that rules translators get told about around a camp fire.  'can' in one language and 'must' in the other when specifying a treaty obligation with Italy (becoming a protectorate of Italy), leading to voiding of the treaty, a rematch and defeat of the Italian claims four years later.  :huh:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

If you guys think something like it could be very cool I'd probably go something akin to this route:

• (1) Keys to the Breach (Ca 6:ram / TN * / Rg 10): Name a Guardsmen Minion model. The TN of this Action is 10 :ram:ram plus the Soulstone Cost of the named model. Summon the named model within 1" of target Scheme Marker, then discard the Scheme Marker. This Action may only be taken once per Turn. 

MOAR AUSTRINGERS!!! :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

Will alter it :P But why name him Hackeem while that is like the most Indian name after Sandeep? 

Thanks solkan for the additional info!

But no further wishes from more Guild Fans?!

Its actually an Arabic name, which is much nearer to Abbysinia than India

• Like 2

Just now, Adran said:

Its actually an Arabic name, which is much nearer to Abbysinia than India

As I see it Hakim is an Arabic name, but Hackeem very much is the Indian spin off, granted I understand where the source comes from. :D

Certainly would be a gigantic fiesta for Guardsmen! However I will also add that the synergy of Guardsmen often comes in pairs, something that doesn't make the Austringer better perse but the Hounds, Guild Guard and Mounted Guard would love having a buddy system going on! It's obviously very powerful but that's why the max 1 is added. 

But I'm looking for ideas! :D

12 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

- Franco Marlow
When I think about the new Governor-General and the lore pieces we have recieved surrounding Franco Marlow and how suprised Lucius was to see dozens of Guard he didn't know I instantly think he would be a very good Master to fill in non-Construct Minion Summonning shoes that are empty right now. While Sonnia to an extend can do something like it, (the Pathfinder can set his traps) many of the Guardsman feel like 'underused' models that would fit in perfectly with a summoners card. To give a nice little sum up of what we could be possibly dealing with:

3 Guild Hound
4 Guild Guard
5 Guild Rifleman
6 Guild Austringer / Guild Pathfinder / Guard Sergeant
7 Mounted Guard

I would love to hear your guys ideas behind it and other abilities we might have in store here, just looking for some really cool open minded debate and ideas really :D.

WYRD, Please make it happened :D... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daniello_s said:

I do. Now you could invest 12SS in something else and summon Austringers turn 1 and 2 ;)

Yeah like Ressurectionists, Neverborn, Arcanists, Gremlins and Ten Thunders right?  I mean summonning hardly is exclusive to any faction anymore :)

But I agree, the ability itself is extremely potent and powerful, I just believe that due to the restriction and Scheme required you still need to spend 'more AP' into it as you would with summonning from Corpse markers and/or Construct markers. Usually where you want to have your Austringers you don't want to place your Scheme markers?...

In any case I think it could be applied because:
- All other non-Austringer Guardsmen are rather a rare sight, because of reasons :D
- Many Guardsmen are looking for a buddy and this could allow you to go that route
- Scheme marker requirement and 10 Rng Ca's who are limited to 1 per turn are a lot of restrictions to me. It certainly is powerful but as the rankings show us it's not like the Guild is on top of the whole metagame or something... (granted I want to make clear the intention behind this Action most certainly doesn't come from that... Instead lore shows us that Franco is surrounded by new Guardsman that wern't there before...) 

If the Austringer summonning is deemed to powerful it's obviously possible to make the Minion summing non-Austringer non-Construct aswell. However I still feel that as the game grows it's not like the Austringers are solely dominating the game (or the Guild) anymore. Ideally we will even come to a point where other Guardsman Minions are considered and I believe a casting spell like this could be one of those ways to go that route.

Currently I think it's a pitty that many of the Guardsmen don't see play, in many I feel this comes from needing two to really make it 'click'.

• Guild Hounds are awesome with Luna (thus McCabe) but otherwise are not that difficult to thake out and made less functional. As mentioned they require a pairing system. 
  • Guild Guard could be usefull in a pair but currently do not feel like it's worth spending 8 points for. Again not too difficult to thake out, much less useful outside of a pair.
  • Guild Pathfinder and Guard Sergeant just generally love a swarm of either Traps or Guardsmen, they synergize reasonably well allready but also again work with some kind of a pairing system to really make relevant. Even the Guild Pathfinder can fail with his summons ;). Having a Trap ready (in the Crew) and be able to Summon a Pathfinder would be brilliant but also something that soaks up a Scheme marker and a turn. 
  • Mounted Guard, pairing system, need we say more?

So out of the mayority only the Guild Austringer is the one who wants to go solo but as mentioned by others still is Rare 2, still wants to do other jobs and from my experience doesn't want to be where the Scheme's are.

A possible niche for Franco to step into is to make Guardsmen a competative viable asset to the Guild. I also feel there is nothing really tapping into that yet, which could make for a unique character. 

However I'm just looking for more ideas :D! I am certain there are more players with wishes! 

Make them as silly or overpowered as you wish! I feel we still also need a brewmaster in the Guild. 

I would like to see some limited guard upgrades that make the guard actually feel like they are guardsman. 

Ex

Sanitation Division 

Limited Rare 1  Guardsman

0 SS

We Need More Men: For ever guardsman hired reduce the cost of a Guild Guard by 1SS

No Slacking Off: :aura3 Friendly Guardsman models can not be pushed, placed or buried by enemy actions unless the opponent discards 1 card

Welcome to the Sanitation Division: All friendly Guardsman models in :aura3 gain the following ability Taking Out the Trash: At the start of this models activation it can remove all corpse and scrap markers in :pulse2 of this model. This model heals 1 wound if at least 1 marker is removed from this ability

Immigration Division  

0 SS

We Need More Men: For ever guardsman hired reduce the cost of a Guild Guard by 1SS

No Slacking Off: :aura3 Friendly Guardsman models can not be pushed, placed or buried by enemy actions unless the opponent discards 1 card

Welcome to the Immigration Division: All friendly Guardsman models in :aura3 gain the following ability Entry Papers: Once per turn when an enemy model is summoned or unburied within :aura6 of this model, this model may make a (1) AP attack action targeting the enemy model. 

COPS 

0 SS

No Slacking Off: :aura3 Friendly Guardsman models can not be pushed, placed or buried by enemy actions unless the opponent discards 1 card

Cordon: At the start of this models activation for every friendly guardsman in :pulse3 you can place 1 50MM Under Patrol Marker within 6" of this model that is not in base contact with a model or marker. Enemy models treat these markers as Ht 0 hazardous terrain which deal 1/2/4 damage. These markers are removed at the start of this models next activation. If a blast marker is placed over a Under Patrol marker, remove that Under Patrol marker. 

• Like 2

Love those, they seem both elegant and useful. As expected from a 0 SS Upgrade offcourse. It could even be a wonderful thing to come forth out of a character like Capitan Dashal, offcourse we would require another Upgrade for that and I don't know what the consensus is about Upgrades creating Upgrades...

As is I'm also sketching up some ideas for The Burning Man, but I'm uncertain if I should make him a Henchmen, Enforcer or Peon. I think Enforcer would be the likely best "catch all" by large also because the whole set of Emissaries is also part of the Enforcer level whilst technically speaking they are very different from Enforcers.

The prime idea I'm playing with regarding The Burning Man is something that can technically only survive until turn 4, increasing it to 5 if a Master is killed. As mentioned in a way he would be a reversed Rider in the sence that his power and form dwindles in power.

What I like so much about Dr. Manhattan in terms of inspiration is that he 'burned up' but also re-appeared in unexplainable ways, to me this could form a very interesting basis in us having acces to the former Governor-General in a limited way, while asking ourselves, are we willing to pay SS for something that with total certainty will not survive to the end of the game :D
Obvious abilities I'm think of for him are:
- Immunity to all conditions (including Burning)
- Act like the Cherufe that was part of Sonnia, thus likely adding 1 damage / +1 Burning to models who are within 1" of him at the end of the turn
- Incorporeal
- Tyrant
- A bucket of Wd akin to that of a Master, I'm thinking 12 or 14
- A figure akin to that of what we know about the old Governor-General (thus a big potent guy burning up ;) )

Looking forward to much more! Thanks wizuriel!

28 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

I would like to see some limited guard upgrades that make the guard actually feel like they are guardsman. 

Ex

Sanitation Division 

0 SS

No Slacking Off: :aura3 Friendly Guardsman models can not be pushed, placed or buried by enemy actions unless the opponent discards 1 card

Welcome to the Sanitation Division: All friendly Guardsman models in :aura3 gain the following ability Taking Out the Trash: At the start of this models activation it can remove all corpse and scrap markers in :pulse2 of this model. This model heals 1 wound if at least 1 marker is removed from this ability

Immigration Division  

0 SS

Welcome to the Immigration Division: All friendly Guardsman models in :aura3 gain the following ability Entry Papers: Once per turn when an enemy model is summoned or unburied within :aura6 of this model, this model may make a (1) AP attack action targeting the enemy model. 

COPS 

0 SS

Cordon: At the start of this models activation for every friendly guardsman in :pulse4 you can place 1 50MM Under Patrol Marker within 6" of this model. These markers are Ht 0 severe terrain and are removed at the start of this models next activation

While I don't play Guild, my son does and these upgrades would work well and be thematic too boot!  

Good work!

14 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

What I like so much about Dr. Manhattan in terms of inspiration is that he 'burned up' but also re-appeared in unexplainable ways, to me this could form a very interesting basis in us having acces to the former Governor-General in a limited way, while asking ourselves, are we willing to pay SS for something that with total certainty will not survive to the end of the game :D

Flicker.  The mechanic you're looking for her is, unquestionably, Flicker.

• Like 1

Since Marlow should be the Sorcerer-General, I'd like him to take on magic, but differently than witch-burning Sonnia. I think him getting bonuses to using Sanctioned Spellcasters would be one possibility, perhaps adding a + to their duels if made out of activation or something. He could be Academic, Guardsman, and I'm thinking magic-wise he could either use Light magic, blinding people and lasers and stuff, or focus more on buffing and bodily stuff. Something to do with the Thalarian discipline. I can also see him getting some Gamin minions perhaps.

8 hours ago, Valgaav said:

Flicker.  The mechanic you're looking for her is, unquestionably, Flicker.

Ha, that would match!

Will try my best to think of some additional concept rules or powers. I thought I might aswell share a sketch for something that has been in my mind since reading about the burning man.

Burning_man.jpg

I really like your Franco idea aswell horvagab, where did you find the Sorcerer-General idea? 

• Like 3

Yeah it was from the Nythera event from the TTB adventure. There were 4 options for Governor General which in a nutshell were

1) Was a general

2) Was a politician 

3) Was more a business man (not 100% sure on this one)

4) Was a sorcerer (winner)

after each adventure the players and GM were able to vote on who they wanted to win the position. Based on what the players accomplished in the adventure and their actions they got points towards who would win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Yeah it was from the Nythera event from the TTB adventure. There were 4 options for Governor General which in a nutshell were

1) Was a general

2) Was a politician 

3) Was more a business man (not 100% sure on this one)

4) Was a sorcerer (winner)

after each adventure the players and GM were able to vote on who they wanted to win the position. Based on what the players accomplished in the adventure and their actions they got points towards who would win. 

1. Was a tough but fair general who wanted to further militarize Malifaux

2. Politician who everyone seemed to love and wanted the guild to look more like heroes

3. Glorified accountant in charge of the supply of soulstones who wanted to increase efficiency/use automation/break the reliance on the union but also ease up regulations on independent prospectors

4. Marlow was considered one of the most powerful magic users on Earth. In the Nythera rumors he came off a bit more sinister sounding than he wound up being in Ripples of Fate

The final rankings were something like:

1. Marlow the Sorcerer  (I had hoped he'd be an alt. Sonnia Nightmare box)

2. Andre the Politician

3. Rowan the General

4. Aisha the Accountant

• Like 1