Running the Guild Marshals

CiDevant

Ran a full Guild Marshal themed list tonight against Zips full crew box + Sammy and Trixi.  This was my first time playing since last October?  Score 8 : 7  Flank deployment ; Guard the Stash; Exhaust Their Forces; Leave Your Mark (Both); Catch and Release (Me); Set Up (Him).  I screwed up and denied myself the last two points.

• Lady Justice
    • Vendetta
    • Last Stand
  • Scales of Justice
  • The Judge
    • Unrelenting Leader
  • The Lone Marshal
  • Death Marshal x3
  • Brutal Effigy
  • Full 7 Cache

Anyways, I've got a couple of areas I'm looking to/for comments on, and really just looking for any general advice.  

First, the Guild.  I'm not sold on the Scales of Justice.  I managed 2 card draws of him and the will power boost helped keep The First Mate in the box, but was never the deciding factor in the duels (so really he didn't help).  I honestly don't think it'll ever see the table again.  Is there something I'm missing?  The wording of the Gaining ground schemes Exhaust and CaR seem to rule out placing the condition then boxing the model as they must remain "In Play".  This seems like a huge cuddle to Death Marshals.  Leave your mark seems like a guaranteed 3 points for both forces as long as you can get anything with mobility by itself.  The Lone Marshal's shot seems really powerful which is actually what cost me a point.  Instead of dropping a scheme marker I killed Trixi who had basically already accomplished her mission of Set Up on the Judge.  It seems like you have to choose with him, either be a very expensive scheme runner, or be offensive.  I almost feel like he's over-costed.  I kind of forgot about the Last Stand : With Me! ability, but I took the upgrade for unimpeded anyways.  Now I'm wondering if that could have gained me that last point on Guard the Stash.  Vendetta I'm not sold on, I didn't get my 2ss worth out of it I think.  Unrelenting Leader also felt expensive, but being able to throw around attacks and generate extra AP where I needed them was a break even I think. I totally forgot about Inspiring Swordplay but I'm 90% positive it wouldn't have affected anything anyways.

Against Gremlins.  Trixibelle, wow, is there any way to stop her from just scoring on scheme running?  I killed her on turn 3 or 4? but she basically scored 6 points buy herself.  Zip seems to have some weird wording with his upgrades, He's insignificant so he can't interact, but his upgrades allow him to remove conditions.  I assume, it's not scheme related conditions, but we weren't 100%.  Iron Skeeters were kind of ridiculous for 6ss; huge movement and lots of shenanigans.

So, yeah, I don't have the memory for a full or even decent battle report but I'm looking for advice or comments how to improve my game next time.  I'd like to stick with the theme of the Guild Marshals, but I'm open to any kind of suggestion.

I think that Wyrd was worried The Lone Marshal was too good and they made him overcosted. He has bulletproof which thematically doesn`t really fit and I don`t find much use of him and I think he`d be pretty good at 7SS. 

OTOH I think the Recruiters are beasts and they are what Guild Marshals where missing.

I would even consider 2 recruiters for the Lone Marshal and 1 DM (they cost the same) and then went 3x A Debt to the Guild. I also prefer Badge of Office on Justice to Vendetta.

You can also consider the Brutal Emissary which thematically fits and has a nice defense bonus for marshals.

Drawing cards is a very powerful ability, especially when you know that each card equals a model (invluding your master!) turning immortal with the new recruiters.

The normal death marshals are super fun with mark for death since you can box and unbox a single model for 3 easy vp. Masters with crummy WP are also fair game in neutralize the leader. Wasn't aware on the changes to other conditions and buried models and haven't looked into it yet.

• Like 1

Brutal Emissary is something I definitely plan on buying.  Any tip on throwing markers around so I can Teleport LJ all over the board?  I can already see boxing Justice late turn after activation so the BE can take some greatsword swings, then unboxing her on the next turn so she can not lose an activation.

I haven't read the DM Recruiter yet.  Can you give a synopsis?  Also not familiar with Debt to the Guild, but I see it being recommended in nearly every thread right now.  I assume because there really isn't competition vs other general upgrades.  

So with the Death Marshals we lost two easy schemes and gained two more easy schemes?  I haven't read through all GG16 in detail yet.  

When I say I'd like to stay thematic, it's kind of a nebulous comment.  I'd like to keep the core theme going, LJ, Judge, DMs, and other Marshals but throwing in a random model here or there is something I'm going to be trying.  Next game I'm likely going to swap a DM for an Austringer and the Scales for a Witchling Stalker's condition removal.

Recruiters are enforcers with Df6, HtW, Ml6 with built in crit strike and  min damage 2.

They have an ability that when a Guild Marshal in 4" dies you can discard a card and they live on 1 Wd.

They also can make non-leades Guild Marshals and can push to an enemy model with nice range and friendly models engaged with the enemy can make an attack. They can also attack buried models.

A Debt to the Guild gives an SS when the owner dies and you have an ability that you can use once a game (you don`t discard the upgrade). You draw a card and get for the remainder of the activation you deal +1dmg with attack actions. Its non-leader and rare 3

1 hour ago, CiDevant said:

Brutal Emissary is something I definitely plan on buying.  Any tip on throwing markers around so I can Teleport LJ all over the board?  I can already see boxing Justice late turn after activation so the BE can take some greatsword swings, then unboxing her on the next turn so she can not lose an activation.

Well one trick that I know of with Lady J and the Brutal is with Abeula.  Abeula can use her (0) action to have the Brutal box Lady Justice before the Brutal activates.  If your opponent does not drop any scheme markers for you to unbury her at the brutal can instead walk 12" and unbury her next to it at the end of its activation.  If they did drop a scheme marker you can pop out of it if you want.  It lets Lady J get the jump on combat turn 1, though I would not advice jumping into the middle of the enemy crew but instead picking off a key model or starting to clear out an edge of it.

6 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

Well one trick that I know of with Lady J and the Brutal is with Abeula.  Abeula can use her (0) action to have the Brutal box Lady Justice before the Brutal activates.  If your opponent does not drop any scheme markers for you to unbury her at the brutal can instead walk 12" and unbury her next to it at the end of its activation.  If they did drop a scheme marker you can pop out of it if you want.  It lets Lady J get the jump on combat turn 1, though I would not advice jumping into the middle of the enemy crew but instead picking off a key model or starting to clear out an edge of it.

Being in the middle of their crew is awesome! :D 

Depending on the crew you could actually have a lot to gain from tying them up. Some crews aren't drowning in pushes and a lot of models have :melee range 1. You could potentially charge to kill one model and tie up 2-3 more in a place where the dangerous opponents can't get at you. Even if she dies eventually you could have denied strategy points and force them to really work for their schemes. With el mayor on her and doing a charge + defensive stance she can be quite tough to take down. Since she charges without LoS you can have her behind a forest more or less safe from harm on the enemy activation before she gets to go or you could try to out-activate them so they can't react to you placing her.

On 20/08/2016 at 3:32 AM, CiDevant said:

Against Gremlins.  Trixibelle, wow, is there any way to stop her from just scoring on scheme running?  I killed her on turn 3 or 4? but she basically scored 6 points buy herself.  Zip seems to have some weird wording with his upgrades, He's insignificant so he can't interact, but his upgrades allow him to remove conditions.  I assume, it's not scheme related conditions, but we weren't 100%.  Iron Skeeters were kind of ridiculous for 6ss; huge movement and lots of shenanigans.

Just to say that the exact answer to this depends on what schemes you are using, but yes Zipp can get rid of the scheme conditions. In the Rule book schemes abilities can remove the distract and cursed object conditions, so his abilities on his upgrades will work, and for GG2016 the way to remove exhaust and catch and release does not require an interact action, so whilst they can't be removed by his ability, he can remove them as easily as any other model. He can't get rid of ark for death though. 

My copy of Gaining grounds says

Exhausted: This model gains the following Action: “(1) Shake It Off: Remove the Exhausted Condition from this model. This Action may not be taken while this model is engaged.” No other Action or Ability can remove this Condition.

So he can't use his abilities either, but being insignifigant doesn't stop him taking the action

• Like 1

Exhausted: This model gains the following Action:
“(1) Shake It Off: Remove the Exhausted Condition
from this model. This Action may not be taken while
this model is engaged.” No other Action or Ability can
remove this Condition.

Tagged: This model gains the following Action: “(2) Rip
It Out: Remove this Condition from this model. This
Action may not be taken while this model is engaged.”
No other Action or Ability can remove this Condition.

“Marked: This condition may not be removed or ended.”

Zipp Can`t remove any of them with his ability. He can use Rip it Out or Shake it off normally as they are not interact actions so his insignificant doesn`t change anything in that regard.

The original book schemes (Cursed Object and Distract) can be removed by Abilities.

Edit: Ninja`d by Adran

On 20.8.2016 at 4:32 AM, CiDevant said:

Vendetta I'm not sold on, I didn't get my 2ss worth out of it I think.  

I`ve never got any use out of that one, the additional attack might be worth it in some corner cases (against hard to kill models maybe), but if you take one of the two triggers, you won`t get critical strike (so the + to damage flips is really a joke, unless you absolutely need cheatable damage and have a 11+/red joker in hand).

So yeah, you said it yourself, you don`t get 2ss out of it, take something else and you will be happier I think :)

This last weekend I played and won a tournament. I played a death marshal list through all three rounds. It wasn't my easiest day of games, although I lend most of that to some really tough opponents. My List was as follows with a few tweeks through games:

Justice with last stand

Judge

Exorcist

Scales 

Brutal effigy

austringer

2x death marshals

Lone marshal

For the sake of brevity in the first list I played against a summon heavy resser list. The big key to this one was using the austringer against izamu's low defense to get rid of his control hand. He took a lot of stones but was dropping them to keep the summoning machine working. Between this and Bound by law I was able to keep his hand empty and was able to Banish to oblivion Izamu in turn three. 

Second game I played viks and was able to make Viks undead. This prevented any of that whirlwind fun they were hoping to do. Again the arrest trigger from bound by law managed to do some damage to the mobility to the crew. I did manage to box little vik and kept her in the box only due to the wp boost from the scales.

Last game was against 10 thunders. This was a really tough game but again the stopping triggers seemed to be a pretty deciding factor. 

I only managed to pull cards with scale twice but the extra will power for things I had boxed or other saves was very important and I don't regret taking it at all. 

• Like 4

I managed to get in another game this Wednesday.  This time against Titania's crew plus insidious madness, Barbaros, and primordial magic.  

• Lady Justice
    • Last Stand
    • Badge of Office
  • The Judge
    • Unrelenting Leader
  • The Lone Marshal
  • Guild Austringer
  • Death Marshal x 2 
  • Witchling Stalker
  • Brutal Effigy
  • SS Pool : 5

Corner Deployment, Guard The Stash, Convict Labor, Take Prisoner(Me), Leave Your Mark(Both), Covert Breakthrough(Him), Occupy Their Turf.  Score 10 : 9

I messed up Lady Justice's activation order, I thought her condition removal was a (0) action, so I left the Judge Paralyzed.  Once again forgot completely about Inspiring Swordplay until after the match was over.  

Min damage of 1 on the Austringer sucks.  Austringer won me the game pushing Brutal out of engagement and letting me score the last leave your mark.  

Speaking of the Effigy, Healing Lady J from one wound to full was pretty sweet.  As it was death by a thousand cuts, Badge of Office didn't do much for me.  Stopping IM, PM, and the nimble Barbaros was a chore.  If I would have focused on one instead of spreading damage around, I likely could have denied a point or two more.  Most of my models were tied up in melee from turn one onward.  The three inch Melee from The Thorn(?) really tangled a lot of things up.  But in the end I only took one casualty.

Ultimately I'm still not sure what to do with The Lone Marshal, but I really love his model so I need to figure out how to get the most from him.   Lone Marshal did well against Titania's crew pushing around taking shots of opportunity eventually moving in to take prisoner.  But again I don't feel like I got 8ss out of him.  Maybe I'll switch him exclusively to scheme runner hunting.  Unfortunately an actual hunter fills that role much better in theory.

I'm not sure I'll be taking a Stalker again.  The two times conditions were an issue the Stalker wasn't in range and the tome requirement took me by surprise.