Ripples of Fate Story Discussion

Justin

Haven't read through the whole thing, but to start the discussion:

This book is a blend of Crossroads and Shifting Loyalties, taking the best elements of each. Like Crossroads, every faction has its own story featuring the new masters, as well as a series of short vignettes (3 paragraphs per master) describing the status of each one after Shifting Loyalties. The main storyline is furthered by a lengthy piece, like the one at the end of Shifting Loyalties, that moves the plot forward. It mostly features Hoffman, Ana Lovelace, and Lucius, with some juicy references to events Earthside. The last page in which Lucius realizes he's losing his grip because the new Governor General Franco Marlow is no fool is brilliant. The final line is just beautiful. No spoilers, but it involves a pen. 

It's nice to see Lucius outsmarted after he was so dominant in The Portrait and at the end of Shifting Loyalties, although I find it hard to believe that he's loosing his grip so quickly.

All the stories are excellent, but I think this book also shines in most of its unit descriptions, which are the best to date as a mixture of brief snippets in the action and the usual descriptions.

Will update more when if I get the chance. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, StormLordXIII said:

Haven't read through the whole thing, but to start the discussion:

This book is a blend of Crossroads and Shifting Loyalties, taking the best elements of each. Like Crossroads, every faction has its own story featuring the new masters, as well as a series of short vignettes (3 paragraphs per master) describing the status of each one after Shifting Loyalties. The main storyline is furthered by a lengthy piece, like the one at the end of Shifting Loyalties, that moves the plot forward. It mostly features Hoffman, Ana Lovelace, and Lucius, with some juicy references to events Earthside. The last page in which Lucius realizes he's losing his grip because the new Governor General Franco Marlow is no fool is brilliant. The final line is just beautiful. No spoilers, but it involves a pen. 

It's nice to see Lucius outsmarted after he was so dominant in The Portrait and at the end of Shifting Loyalties, although I find it hard to believe that he's loosing his grip so quickly.

All the stories are excellent, but I think this book also shines in most of its unit descriptions, which are the best to date as a mixture of brief snippets in the action and the usual descriptions.

Will update more when if I get the chance. 

It makes sense when you think about it. Lucius sunk his claws into the Governor-General and wound up getting complacent. Marlow is a new entity and apparently isn't going to fall for the same bit.

Kind of curious about the relationship between Titania and Lucius. Lucius doesn't seem to be on particularly good terms with the other Neverborn masters, is called vermin, and was following very closely the recovery of artifacts and information leading to the opening of Nythera. Curious if he's a loyalist, as it were, or has some other scheme in mind regarding her.

Can someone with the book tell me the background for Archie. I know he's connected to Molly but t looks like something McMourning would create... Dying to know more about it and the book will take some time to get to my country. Pretty please? ?

It is strongly hinted in the book that Archie was created by McMorning, but the book doesn't explicitly say it was McMorning, just, The Doctor. Archie Follows Molly around because she is the only one who is kind to him, and it is implied he wasn't let go of, he purposely smashed his way out go the Doctor's lab to escape. Basically imagine a creature the with immense size and strength, and the emotional intensity and control of a 5 year old. That's pretty much my impression of Archie.

I haven't read through all the fluff yet, but in general what I have read is much better than the normal level of gamer fluff that has previously been involved in stories previous to this book. While there is still some cliche and to be perfectly honest, trite and elementary plot and syntax utilized, I feel this book begins to stand a bit above the more recent other books. I haven't read the main storyline as of yet, so I can't comment on it, but from what I have read I have enjoyed the master vignettes to most. I feel that they really bring the focus of the game back to an element that has long been somewhat neglected due to the heavy focus on Mechanics the last few years, and that is the character and motivations behind each of the characters. I really liked how there were tie backs and set ups to potential future elements to the game. There were some future hints I didn't like the concept of, which I won't mention in the hope I read too much into it and thusly don't want to put that idea into the developers minds, but overall I think my favorite part of the book, which includes the models and their rules, were those vignettes. My compliments to whomever decided to put them in, and to the author and story team behind them.

• Like 2

I've only read Asami's story and the Thunders plus a smattering of other vignettes, so this is far from a full review...

I have to say I'm a huge fan so far. Asami's story was excellent. I really felt like I got to know the character, to see how she is meant to fit in to the Thunders, and to get an idea of what her story could be in the future. I think a lot of storytellers, especially in the not-so-distant-past, would have really blown the "This girl wanted a baby, but she can't have one, and now she's evil" plot. This felt like a deeper character than I was afraid we might get, and I'm encouraged for the Arya Stark-like journey of growth she could go on.

I also really like the vignettes for all the older masters. One thing I felt was lacking from Shifting Loyalties was that some master just stone cold weren't mentioned at all. These vignettes not only give us at least a taste of everybody, but also give us some exciting foreshadowing. Shenlong's vignette was tantalizing (I've been expecting new Limited upgrades for him for years, and this story has convinced me even more that these are coming), and Yan Lo's short story was even more exciting. I felt like his Crossroads story didn't do him justice (seeing as he was barely even mentioned in it) so I'm excited to learn anything about him. The way his destiny and Asami's could intertwine will be a cool plot to watch in the future.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but so far: Amanjaku and Asami are cool; the vignettes are great; Malifaux is very good.

• Like 2

If anyone doesn't mind spoiling some of the vignettes here or in a PM, I'm curious about a few. Particularly McCabe since he was basically a background extra in Shifting Loyalties, and then mentioned offscreen helping evacuate the Governor's staff and other Guild folk.

Also curious about Von Schill since the Nythera Penny Dreadful opens up the possibility of his death at Nythera, not to mention the fallout from the freikorps and Fated releasing Titania.

The ending story I'll try not to spoil myself on though, as much as I want to hear more about Hoffman and Anna.

Can't wait to get my hands on the book though....But September release and probably another month after that before its in the shop I order from here... :(

Okay, I'm not reading any of the posts here yet, not until I finsih reading the stories, but I had to pop on here and say, I just finished Reva's story and that was very good. How cool are they? That was setting the story, and makes me want to play her all the more. I want to say, while I haven't read the rest of the new masters yet, she's (almost?) unique in Malifaux, as someone truly working for the good of others, without it just being a facade for a power play. That she's a rezzer, my truely favorite faction, just makes it perfect.

Now back to the book, and then back here after I'm done in a few days. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on these guys and the book in general.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

Also curious about Von Schill since the Nythera Penny Dreadful opens up the possibility of his death at Nythera, not to mention the fallout from the freikorps and Fated releasing Titania.

Minor spoilers ahead for this vignette since I think it's one of the coolest. This is only an added sentence so no one gets spoiled unduly in the post preview section.

Von Schill is not dead. Librarians saved him from being a popsicle but he lost an arm and most of a leg a la Joss. He lit a cigar, got a couple augments and is planning an expedition to the Ten Peaks to show Raspi who's boss. Badass. I think the Penny Dreadful has a path where Von Schill dies and one where Nythera isn't opened at all. Neither of which are canon :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I think it would be more accurate to say "It appears as if she is someone truly working for the good of others, without it being a facade or power play". Frankly I'm doubtful.

I didn't read much into Reva being secretly super-duper secret evil. She appears to genuinely care for the people (even the not-so-fresh ones) around her and wants to help. It just so happens her magical ability is to control/influence those around her, living or otherwise. Also giant spirit scythes that can chop people in half. :mellow:

Vincent is the only one to really question if she is in fact good or just the same evil he has lived most of his life destroying. He also questions his own actions and if they were influenced or controlled by Reva herself. Ultimately deciding that they were his choices and he was not coerced.

I love the grey moral area most of the characters inhabit in Malifaux - it's my bread and butter for good fiction. Few are evil from a human perspective (Seamus, Raspi) and just as few are good (Hoff, Perdita). Most have leanings one way or the other, and I think Reva sits on the good slant of things.

3 hours ago, Rob Lo said:

I want to say, while I haven't read the rest of the new masters yet, she's (almost?) unique in Malifaux, as someone truly working for the good of others, without it just being a facade for a power play. That she's a rezzer, my truely favorite faction, just makes it perfect.

I object.  Plenty of masters across different factions are working for the good of others while engaging in megalomaniacal power grabs at the same time.   :P

• Like 2

Cadaver,  I'm not arguing that she is or is not evil, and I'm not arguing that she is or is not as genuinely good or caring as she "appears". My point is they haven't given us enough information to know one way or the other. You even use my own terminology in that you say she appears to actually care for those around her. We have one story, from an unreliable narrator, who details that she seems to have some strange power. That's all we know. My objection to the comment by Rob is that he stated as a statement of fact that she is truly working for the good of others when the fact of the matter is we don't know that. The developers purposely made her story ambiguous (and gave more characterization and interest to her henchman than to her, though that's a separate issue), so we don't know what motivates her to do what she's doing or what the mysterious power she posses is, or where it comes from. This isn't a binary equation where if she isn't unequivocally good, therefore she must have sinister motivations. So I'm not saying that because I disagree with the interpretation put forward that she certainly is good and caring or that I automatically think she's sinister and evil. I'm simply saying that anyone other than the story team at Wyrd doesn't have enough knowledge to say definitively.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

Minor spoilers ahead for this vignette since I think it's one of the coolest. This is only an added sentence so no one gets spoiled unduly in the post preview section.

Von Schill is not dead. Librarians saved him from being a popsicle but he lost an arm and most of a leg a la Joss. He lit a cigar, got a couple augments and is planning an expedition to the Ten Peaks to show Raspi who's boss. Badass. I think the Penny Dreadful has a path where Von Schill dies and one where Nythera isn't opened at all. Neither of which are canon :) 

That's awesome. I might be picking up Von Shill sometime soon. Might have to paint with a metal arm.....

Someone on A Wyrd Place mentioned that a few Masters seem like they might need a new alternative sculpt. Von Schill is one. I'm curious who are the others, if someone would be kind enough to vote. Just a list would be nice (if someone wants to talk about the story, I'd be fine with that).

I very much enjoyed the extra time we got to spend with Hoffman and Lucius during this book: it was great to see more of their characters develop. While loosing seems to be an unwelcome, and perhaps new, experience for the mysterious masked mastermind poor Hoffman is poised to succumb to rage and despair. As one of the few potential "good" characters it was only fitting that the cruel hand of fate find itself guided towards him next, after all! 

I also enjoyed reading Asami's story (which I found it particularly harrowing and intriguing at the same time), Reva's story (She seems to be spreading the words of friendship, peace, and harmony.... with the opt out option of "Death" which I find quite amusing in a morbid sort of way), and Zipp's story (which was incredibly whimsical and entertaining) so much that I may pick them and their respective factions up at some point to play every now and then.

Sadly one can never quite get enough of the ongoing story of their favorite masters: all of which featured short blurbs which, although appreciated, definitely left me a bit hungry for more although I definitely understand that it's not possible for everyone to get the same amount of spot-light without decreasing the rate at which the overall story progresses: the short blurbs are a step in the right direction and hopefully they will continue being a common practice. 

12 hours ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

Off the top of my head I think Schill and Sonnia are the only two to change physically story-wise compared to their current models. If anyone knows of others please remind me but that's all I can think of right now.

Dreamer did, as well, as it was mentioned that his new form in Malifaux was not only clothed differently but also a representation of him at an older age compared to what he had been. 

• Like 2

The Hoffman story was actually pretty good. Though it really needed better editing, as it suffered from a common problem in gamer fiction. Unnecessary additions to the story that serve no propose to advance the plot, or provide opportunities for character development, whose only purpose seems to be to name drop another character into the story who doesn't need to be there. 

Its a shame because that story actually shows very good progress and promise for Wyrd's authors. It gives me very great hope for the next book.