Painters Challenge 2016 - JUNE

Vaiuri

This is the thread for JUNE.  Please post an update with your completed MAY pledge with the soulstone value and I will update the tracking sheet.

Feel free to use this thread to post WIP photos (if you so desire), get feedback, trade ideas and hobby tips as we forge a path through the start of summer.

When you have completed your pledge, feel free to post it, but I'd like everyone to post at the start of JULY with their completed pledge photo and stone value for JUNE - this will make it a lot easier for me to keep track of where everyone is up to. You can also PM me with your completed pledge if you like, and I'll add it to our tracker.

If you see any errors in the tracker please let me know (again, PM is more likely to be spotted).

Edit - tracking sheet uploaded, but not complete due to entries still incoming! :)

Malifaux_Painting_2016.xlsx

• Like 1

PC16_May_zpsoov0yoxz.jpg

During May I completed:

• Arcane Effigy 4 SS
  • Angelica 6 SS
  • 2 Silent Ones 12 SS
  • Lieutenant-General Luciana M. Cato
  • 2 Scimitar tank destroyers

For a total of 22 SS (and 390 DZC points).

I'm already noticing the warm weather affecting my painting output, so lets hope for a rainy summer! ;)

For June I'll have Snow Storm (he is done but he missed May the poor fellow), then my last unpainted DZC (Falcons and Archangels), and after that starting on Yin, Toshiro, Komainu I guess.

• Like 5

This month I have mostly painted:

large.20160531_161648.jpg

2 December Acolytes (so 14SS worth of models) - pictured here with their boss, who was already painted, but needed basing to match.

Am reasonably happy with the painting, but not overly happy with the snow... I clearly need more pracitce in adding snow to bases!

This month my aim is to paint 3 Stiched Togethers :)

• Like 4

It has been a very productive month: Lenny 9pts, Merris 6pts, Slop Hauler 5pts, Skeeter 2pts, Bayou Gremlin 3pts and 3 piglets 4 pts each. This gets my May total on 37, counting as 30 pts for masterlevel.

mSvGHxna81L_byTwnG0Hjs7fVf5AbNw7ixITq-GB

June will be a bit more of a challenge so I picked some high cost models to get some "easy" 30 pts. Will propably finish the sow next weekend and will then lay the paint and brushes aside and dive into a huge pile of study material I need to master before end of June. 

heres what's planned for June:

bvCo9I-8OsG5n-K9sXuipxyh2U_5AMZL_glSd4DV

The Sow is a surprisingly good fit, just some minor filling. Gluttony on the other hand looks like the two halves of his body where designed by different persons (especially his legs), he will need major greenstuffing. Som'er is in the middle of those two when it comes to assembly but he has allready been filled :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shadowfane said:

I need more pracitce in adding snow to bases

I dont know the expression in English, but have you tried with "bicarbonate de sodium" (French. My bet is that English should be close). You just mix it with white glue and water. This is what I did for my warrior of chaos army and it was pretty ok.

English is bakingsoda or sodiumbicarbonate. When I use it I mix it with pva and white paint in equal amounts. The white paint keeps it from turning yellow over time. Make sure to use the pure baking soda. I made the mistake of using cleaning soda once (with additives). This resulted in a watery unusable porage.

Have a look at my tormented little friends, I based with baking soda snow:

je9U52bpI82OM1Rc_P_-xwfrrbXPaVs5GRf3IWbQ

• Like 3

Hmmm, things to try!

I have Woodland Scenics Soft flake snow - I just put PVA on the base and sshook it on - I suspect I need a somewhat more targeted approach! :P

Ta for the advnice though - much appreciated - and I think I see a couple things I could do better for next time :)

For May, I finished Mercury (5 SS).  Outside of the challenge, I finished up my half-done Mouse.

large.May2016_Mercury_done2.jpglarge.May2016_Mouse_done.jpg

For June I will be painting Baritone Lola, and the ride-along finish up model will be one of the Oxfordian Mages.

large.June2016_Lola_primed.jpglarge.June2016_Mage2_started.jpg

Have a great and productive June, fellow challenge painters!

• Like 4

Here's what I managed in May;

2016-06-01%2014.06.30_zps1sn95wuq.jpg

Genbu (10SS), Kamaitachi (4SS), Alt Yan Lo (15SS) and 3x Fermented Monks (15SS) for 44SS total. :)

I didn't quite manage to finish the Desperate Merc (so close though), so he'll be added to my list for this month. 

Speaking of which, with my 10-Thunders finished it's time to move on to my less played Factions! So at the moment I'm planning to paint some combination of the models below;

2016-06-03%2019.21.47_zpswqoqspp0.jpg

The above-mentioned Desperate Merc, a Hoffman crew, Gracie and a trio of undead models - Hanged, Sloth and Sim 29. 

...which leads me to my next question - can I count the grey models (Guardian, Toolkit and Metal Gamin) toward the painting challenge? I technically started on them before the challenge, but it's literally just a 5 minute grey drybrush. I don't particularly want to paint them black to bring them back to "undercoat" status, but I will if I have to! 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Shadowfane, the colors in your December Acolytes are great (Raspy as well).  I'm glad I haven't done much with mine, because I think I am going to use a color scheme closer to yours than what I had started. 

Why thankyou - it's always an honour when people use my models as inspiration/colour matching :)

• Like 1

On 2.6.2016 at 4:00 PM, Shadowfane said:

This month I have mostly painted:

large.20160531_161648.jpg

2 December Acolytes (so 14SS worth of models) - pictured here with their boss, who was already painted, but needed basing to match.

Am reasonably happy with the painting, but not overly happy with the snow... I clearly need more pracitce in adding snow to bases!

This month my aim is to paint 3 Stiched Togethers :)

Try glass micro balloons! :-) Cheap, easy to work with, useful for several purposes  (making ice/cracked ice for example), and probably the best looking alternative there is. A bit messy to work with though...

Finally got a chance to shoot some pics of my Desolation Engine painted in May. Not necessarily 100% happy with all the brass bits, but a little better IRL. Will go back later to add rust/gore, but will move on to Abominations for next month...

20160607_005426.jpg

20160607_005313.jpg

20160607_005228.jpg

20160607_005203.jpg

20160607_005053.jpg

20160607_004931.jpg

20160607_004816.jpg

The insoiration for this and my Aboms was a movie I caught a glimpse of with zombie-like monsters with extremely pale skin. I thought it was an interesting take, and corpses sometimes tend to be very pale, so I figured why not?

Truly a pain to paint cold white skin on a large mini, but interesting learning experience! :-)

• Like 2