Obey - how do YOU use it?

CapnBloodbeard

Pretty simple - how do you use obey?  I've only had one game with the Ortegas (and got tabled!!  In turn 2!!!)  There was one scenario where I was contemplating using Obey - I had LOS to an enemy model who had blast damage and LOS to more enemy models clumped together), but it occurred to me that I'd have to win 2 duels to pull that off, so I figured the odds would be heavily against me on that.

So what are the other Guildies using Obey for?  

I rarely do use Obey, as rather use Perdita to kill stuff herself, but when I do I usually make one of my own models to obey as then I do not need to do a duel. One time when I obeyed a had a good hand with several high :crow, and Nino stood on a good spot so he managed to get off three Headshots in one turn, burning my opponents ss-pool rather quickly,  I want to obey a high cost enemy model to kill my Governor's Proxy, but I find the Nephilim more useful so that will probably never happen. :) 

/C

Edited by Cate
Spelling

Most often I'll use Obey on my own stuff.  For example, walk Frank in range of the enemy master then companion him to deliver a message then finesse. 

For fun enemy Obey, I had a Rail Golem behind cover and in Mei Feng's Vent Steam range.  I had a 13:mask in hand, so I burned a SS to negate the :-fate and Obeyed it out of cover and steam, ignored armor with trick shooting and killed it.  

It's pretty rare for me to use Obey on an enemy for reasons listed above and the :mask requirement. It's commonly said that you COULD use Obey to make an enemy attack the enemy, but a large part of the time you'd do more damage using Perdita's gun instead. A very good player will know the abilities of their opponents' models, which adds a whole new depth of consideration as to what to do with Perdita's AP. Finding sneaky uses of their Tactical actions requires good general knowledge and regular play.

I am not a very good player, so will usually use Obey to move my models around into better positions, get Francisco to Enfrentate a Minto a better position or to Flurry later, and rarely, make attacks with my models. Attacks made will only be due to better positioning against models out of range, or better damage/desirable triggers (eg Executioner, angry Santiago).

I find obeying enemy models to attack can be awfully card intensive if you want to pull it off. You're going to want to win the obey duel , get the right suit, then win the attack and possibly cheat damage. I don't even do it that much with Zoraida or Hamelin so for Perdita I'd say it's very corner case. Obeying people to walk out of objective scoring positions on the other hand is pure gold, and could definitely be more ap efficient than shooting if they're tough.

• Like 2

What an awesome, evil use!

I posted a thread about trying to really abuse this using Perdita plus the Emissary for free Masks on the Obey, but the problem is trying to find a good fit for a Terrifying model!  The Peacekeeper works okay but is very expensive.  About the best I could come up with is vs. Undead, using Lone Marshal or the Judge with Flames of the Pit.  None of these are really a natural fit in most Perdita crews, sadly.  I'm still on the lookout for a good build that can include this mechanic because it's obviously very powerful to Paralyze a model for 1AP at Ca7!

I'm still on the side of "just shoot it dead instead" if you bring that much support to make it work.

As in the other thread, I'll note that I wouldn't of course bring all that support to make it work!  Rather, I'd consider including an otherwise-almost-good-enough Terrifying model, rather than (say) another support model like Guild Marshal or something.  Emissary would be in there mostly for his other really good abilities (aka boxing and copying Frank!)  And Perdita would usually be killing stuff, but now and then, Paralyzing something for 1 AP is awesome.  So is obeying Frank to Enfrentate so he can Flurry.  So is Obeying Emissary so he can box/unbox on the same turn.  Etc.

Put simply it's one more powerful tool in the toolkit, if you can fit it in without disrupting the Crew build.

• 1 month later...

I've only had to use Perdita's Obey once in a competitive setting, because 1) She didn't have any targets at the moment and 2) with only 1 AP left for her activation, she used it to put Frank in better positioning to engage another enemy model.

Largely situational, but useful when needed.  99% of the time, I'm usually attacking with her though.