Hoffman and the Metal Gamin

wizuriel

What was the cuddle to Hoffman? Or is him referring to the gamin?

They're only taken with Hoffman to give the crew ca 8 and sometimes gain slow so Hoffman can gain fast. If they kept their cast 8 you should still be golden. It's not like people have time to kill the gamin anyway.

As someone who was interested in picking up Hoffman (and Mei Feng and some metal gamin) on Black Friday, I'm not quite sure I understand whats going on. Has something changed from their rules in the book?

Errata for Metal Gamin released yesterday. 

http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/113013-november-faq/

Two changes to Metal Gamin:

• Metal Gamin lost the Hard to Kill ability.  (With that ability, it normally required at least two attacks to kill a Metal Gamin, even when they were summoned at reduced health.)
  • Protection of Metal rewritten (to prevent Metal Gamin using Protection of Metal on Metal Gamin models.)

The new version of Protection of Metal (change highlighted in red):

(1) Protection of Metal: Target friendly non-Metal Gamin model within 3" gains the following Condition until this model takes this Action again: "Metal Protection: This model has Df 6. This model's Df may not be altered by other Abilities, Actions, Upgrades, or Conditions. Remove this Condition immediately if there are no friendly Metal Gamin within 3"."

In other words, Metal Gamin are no longer able to use Protection on Metal on themselves or other Metal Gamin to increase their Df value.

Edited by solkan

I believe that while Arcanists use Metal Gamin to sit on objectives/spam markers upfield Hoff uses it to get Ca8 and then just tag along with slow. On one hand you want to kill it to make Hoff spend cards on abilities, on the other hand you have so many other things to worry about its not a valid option. So yep, I would still take Metal Gamin for Hoffman as they didn`t lose their primary role of getting slowed and giving Ca8.

He sits behind Hoffman, gets made slow so Hoffman can get 4AP a turn, power loops automatically to give Hoffman Ca8 (+1 for having the Metal Gamin sitting within 4 inches, +1 for the other construct within 4 inches so Hoff can "redirect power" on a 4+), and maybe gets patchwork plating so he has 3+ armour that Hoff can borrow. It's unlikely he'll ever be in a place to get targeted by anyone so the loss of durability doesn't matter.

Has anyone tried Malifaux Child with Hoffman to extend the power loop? My first impression is that the Child's effective Ca3:ram with a TN:14:ram would probably be a drain on your high cards, and given that Hoff could be roping in up to 8 Constructs a turn, if he wanted to, the Child's single use of Redirect Power, needing at least an 11, and an 11:tome if you want to cast it again (whereupon you'll want another 11) is probably unnecessary.

Cheers, appreciate you spelling it out for me. I really ought to pay closer attention. Reading the OP, I thought Hoffman might have been changed, and he was near the top of my wish list!

As far as Guild goes we have only had two erratas to models and those were:

• Diestro - Add restriction "Non-Master"
  • Flaming Bullets - Added the word enemy to "all models" to read "all enemy models"

Then there were three cases of misprints:

• Samael Hopkins didn't have rare 1
  • Francisco Ortega didn't have rare 1
  • Guild Guard cards from their model box didn't have the Guardsman characteristic. However if you had the Arsenal Deck 1 and original rule book they did.

Guild as a faction doesn't have too many broken combos imo.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried Malifaux Child with Hoffman to extend the power loop? My first impression is that the Child's effective Ca3

:ram

with a TN:14

would probably be a drain on your high cards, and given that Hoff could be roping in up to 8 Constructs a turn, if he wanted to, the Child's single use of Redirect Power, needing at least an 11, and an 11

:tome

if you want to cast it again (whereupon you'll want another 11) is probably unnecessary.

I just did, and it was delightful. She (I asked to have the Child painted in girl colors, so my crew is "he", and "she", and a lot of "it") squatted 6" away from Hoffman in cover. I had a great amount of good luck with high cards but she looped in that one clockwork I always forget and run it away from Hoffman before it is looped. She put armor on that clockwork when half the other crew went after it. She healed that clockwork, and Hoffman. And I do not have all the other models in my mind just yet but how many can give an extra action that are Manipulative hard to hit?

Has anyone tried Malifaux Child with Hoffman to extend the power loop? My first impression is that the Child's effective Ca3

with a TN:14

would probably be a drain on your high cards, and given that Hoff could be roping in up to 8 Constructs a turn, if he wanted to, the Child's single use of Redirect Power, needing at least an 11, and an 11

:tome

if you want to cast it again (whereupon you'll want another 11) is probably unnecessary.

I just did, and it was delightful. She (I asked to have the Child painted in girl colors, so my crew is "he", and "she", and a lot of "it") squatted 6" away from Hoffman in cover. I had a great amount of good luck with high cards but she looped in that one clockwork I always forget and run it away from Hoffman before it is looped. She put armor on that clockwork when half the other crew went after it. She healed that clockwork, and Hoffman. And I do not have all the other models in my mind just yet but how many can give an extra action that are Manipulative hard to hit?

I hope you mistranslated construct and don't mean clockwork trap. Clockwork traps are not constructs and so ineligible to be buffed by most of Hoffman's abilities.

I hope you mistranslated construct and don't mean clockwork trap. Clockwork traps are not constructs and so ineligible to be buffed by most of Hoffman's abilities.

Yes. It was a watcher and hunter she gave extra actions to. I have a problem with still calling all constructs clockworks. I will never take a clockwork trap just to not cause more confusion.

Yes. It was a watcher and hunter she gave extra actions to. I have a problem with still calling all constructs clockworks. I will never take a clockwork trap just to not cause more confusion.

Haha, good plan! ;) 

It does sound like she would pair nicely with the more independent models on the "off-flank" or whatever we should call it. 

Manipulative and the hunters ++ are sort of anti-synergistic but a lot of the time I would imagine the hunter could go early to shoot stuff slow and the child can help it do something later in the same turn after the board has changed or position it for next turn and start that turn fast.

done the malifaux child thing, invested the high tome and second high card to get gamin and guardian looped then killed the child.  Having those two models permanently looped in is very handy though do have to loose an activation.

• Like 4