What do you think the next book will hold?

Math Mathonwy

“epic” game rule for games with ~75+ soulstone (master + henchman) + more rounds, allowing avatar manifestation (by bigger and longer game it should eliminate/mitigate balance issues).

I strongly disagree with this one. This is one of the big things that unbalanced the 1st edition. Games at this level (or lower levels) quickly showcase the imbalances of the crews.

• Terrain (models) with:
    • Explicit terrain rules.
      • Again, as we play we run too often into discussions on the terrain rules as we are not routine enough to clarify everything upfront.
      • Actually when the Wyrd plastcraft terrain was announced I had hoped that each terrain piece would come with an explicit terrain rule card.
  • fraction specific terrain models.

I would definitely love something like this. Even more so if they would bring back breakable terrain rules.

In all seriousness though I would rather have all the plastic models released for books 1-3 before another new book.

This would definitely be nice.

I am thinking that "The Other Side" will be the epic massive battles that don't take place in Malifaux currently.

I would prefer that missing models be released before a new book comes out. I don't think new masters are needed at this point, and there could probably be a little tweaking of some models, looking at you voodoo doll :angry:,  So yea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Minions! a ton of Thematic Minions!

More Belles for Seamus, More Beasts for Marcus, More Spidery Constructs for Ramos, More Ice constructs for Rasputina, More Swamp fiends for Zoriada etc. etc.

And I dont mean, just to fill gaps in faction weaknesses (id sooner each faction stay uniques), For examples take Seamus Belles, he could have maybe a belle that follows a target model, tries to keep its distance and has a distracting type attack - wolf whistles to distract the target?

• Like 1

• Terrain (models) with:
    • Explicit terrain rules.
      • Again, as we play we run too often into discussions on the terrain rules as we are not routine enough to clarify everything upfront.
      • Actually when the Wyrd plastcraft terrain was announced I had hoped that each terrain piece would come with an explicit terrain rule card.

There already are explicit terrain rules and examples in the rulebook on page 61 of the Core Rulebook and page 75 of the Rules Manual.  I'll agree that that's easy to overlook if you don't play often, but it's there and the list covers at least as much as the Warmachine/Hordes rulebook.  :)

And stop skipping the Define part of the Define and Place Terrain step of your games.  :tome 

And stop skipping the Define part of the Define and Place Terrain step of your games.  :tome 

Everything is Severe, Blocking, Climbable, Hard Cover all the time!!! 

Don't forget Hazardous Terrain on anything that is Ht4 or more! (preferbly 20/30/40) :P

Aside from the usual supsects (new models & story encounters), I do suspect there might be something that allows for more alternate games than the normal ones.

New masters, probably one for each faction, and new models that play well with those masters.. take a look at the latest book and what it has given us and what can be built upon to see what is next. Reading between the lines of what's been said or craftily not said (forums and at Nova)for example, a master that plays well with Oni is very possible. Also, I expect some previously interesting peoples to step out of the fluff and onto the board in triumphant return. 

Unless they go the full blown "Welcome to Malifaux 2.5" route, I expect very little in the way of new rules or rules clarifications. I would love to see some articles in upcoming Chronicles where they take some of the sticky parts of the game (heights, auras, blasts, vantage points, we all know the topics) and just hash them out, none of it new rules, all of it to be considered an expanded question in the FAQ.

New upgrades for existing masters could happen. New playstyles from new Limiteds, extra spice otherwise. Unfortunately that would want to be stepping on the toes of the campaign avatars and they probably don't want to do that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see new schemes, probably in the next Gaining Grounds, unless they keep the new strats in GG and put new schemes in the next book. That seems like a long wait though.

Also, an entire new faction of Hanged. Hanged masters, hanged totems, everything. I can dream, can't I?

*cough*Master-Specific-Schemes*cough*

As I recall this didnt work too well the first time they tried it. It is difficult to build balanced schemes for each Masters. This is especially true for those masters that are extremely focused. You either end up pretty much just giving them the VP (schemes that are built on the Master doing exactly what they are built to do already very well) or forcing a counter play style that essentially neuters the crew and results in never being taken. A quick perusal of the last editions faction and master specific schemes will showcase many examples of both of these types.