Lucius Crew Advice

The Grue

I am looking at putting together an all Guild Lucius crew and wanted opinions on it. I have had a few users so far in the chat help me modify it to its present state but I was curious what a larger audience may think of it. Feedback is welcome.

Lucius
       - Hidden Sniper

- Captain Dashel
   - Master Queeg
   - Guild Rifleman
   - Guild Rifleman
   - Guild Rifleman
   - Pathfinder
   - Guild Austringer
   - Watcher

If I remember correctly that should put me at either exactly 50ss or at 49ss.

As Always,
The Grue

Having a beat stick handy is very nice given how static and vulnerable your crew is.  Any disruptive force, really.  Peacekeeper, the Judge, Doppelganger, Candy, Mr. Graves, etc.  Lucius buffs minions, but his whole crew needn't be, there's only so many orders you can issue a turn.  The Emissary also bears mentioning, as it can disrupt, position with bury tricks, heal and makes Lucius rather scary in melee. 

I'll be honest, I find those types of lists so one dimensional they rarely achieve much of anything. You can threaten at range but that's about it - other than the Watcher you have no real scheme running, and your whole plan against proper melee facesmashers is 'hope Lucius or the Henchmen can tank them'. Don't get me wrong, there are scheme pools where that may well work, but it'll be a bit of an uphill struggle.

By way of example, I played against a very similar list with Sonnia recently. The Lucius crew had to stay together to get the most out of its models and consequently lost all 3 Riflemen, Dashel and 7W on Lucius by the time the flames had died down end of turn 1.

These days my crew lists tend to revolve around pairs of either Freikorps Trappers, Ronin or Guardians. Riflemen are good, Trappers are phenomenal. Even more so when Lucius can trade one of his AP to give them a Focussed shot. They're a nightmare in strats like Recon and Interference because of their ability to pick off targets from extreme range with enough positive flips to ignore cover. Ronin are surprisingly good melee fighters that are very survivable too, as they can't be charged, have Hard to Kill and can Flurry so benefit from being ordered into position. Guardians are just ridiculously tough, particularly in pairs, and if they get settled in next to a Turf War or Extraction marker then your opponent has a serious problem. 3" melee range, and if they close the gap then they can Shield Bash his models back out of the scoring zone.

• Like 1

I'd certainly try and get a Lawyer in there to help with Commanding Presence (and other Horror duels, of course), I also don't generally take 3 Riflemen - 2 is more than enough for the Dashel/Riflemen Rube-Goldberg machine. They're just too squishy and too slow to invest that many points in.

The Lucius crew I ran last night was:

• Lucius
    • Secret Assets
  • Dashel
    • Watch My Back
  • Francisco
    • Diestro
    • Wade In
  • Lawyer
  • Death Marshal
  • Rifleman
  • Rifleman

For Turf War, with a pool of Murder Protege, Spring the Trap, Breakthrough, and Plant Evidence (IIRC)

I feel like I could have lived without Watch My Back, I never got that much use out of it, and I sacrificed my Riflemen quite early in the game to take out my Murder Protege target who was hanging in the backfield. Also probably didn't need Diestro on Frank - a Lead Lined Coat might have been the better pick since I never ended up shooting into combat with him, and he spent most of his time in melee bogging down the enemy near the Turf War marker.

Often I'll Surprisingly Loyal in a Doppelganger, but I couldn't fit her in this time around. She's a good tarpit with Chameleon/Face in the Crowd, Don't Mind Me is always lovely, and the ability to cheat on initiative flips can be crucial (though honestly it often doesn't come up).

Edited by heretek

• 1 month later...

Ok as someone who has also just picked up Lucius, I only have the box set, riflemen, and the gov proxy (first guild master). I have only played one game and got overrun particularly fast. I used all the box -1 lawyer and -1 scribe so as to use the proxy instead. I definitely feel a bruiser for mele would be highly useful instead of three riflemen. Dashal+2 riflemen feels potent but I need something smashy. What is everyone's opinion on most flexible beater for him? Preferably something I don't need another crew box for (or maybe justify it if it is in a crew box)

I like the admirals suggestions. Hunters are in a crew box unless you are ok with old metals but they work beautifully for Lucius and you will probably want the watcher from the same box. 

I would also recommend trying the scribe. He doesn't kill models but he has Red Tape built in on his ml 5 attack. I've had him tank Howard langston for three turns thanks to lucky initiative flips (which is good value for 2ss if you're not familiar with langston yet).

Ok as someone who has also just picked up Lucius, I only have the box set, riflemen, and the gov proxy (first guild master). I have only played one game and got overrun particularly fast. I used all the box -1 lawyer and -1 scribe so as to use the proxy instead. I definitely feel a bruiser for mele would be highly useful instead of three riflemen. Dashal+2 riflemen feels potent but I need something smashy. What is everyone's opinion on most flexible beater for him? Preferably something I don't need another crew box for (or maybe justify it if it is in a crew box)

Death Marshals are probably the most flexible "beaters" for Lucius. They are a pretty big melee threat for almost all models in the game. They are also minions, so Lucius can command them around, which both increases the threat they pose and their survivability after they manage to box something. They can also be paired with Doppelganger if you want.

Wardens can be a nice touch, with there plus flip to horror duels, a nice range and a meh melee is not so bad. Also there stats ant terrible with armor, they can pair nicely with Lucius. The only issue is that they have no (0) actions and that there are better choices for schemes runners. Still they go well with Dashel if you are wiling to move him up instead of using him for your rifle men.