Sonnia + LoS + Flame Walls

zFiend

Question

The action only mentions to place 2 markers in LoS, and that those markers are Ht 5. I would assume that the normal LoS rules apply, and thus that she doesn't need LoS to the place they touch the ground.

I never played it that way, but I see nothing in the rules that forbids this.

Hmmm....personally I always just *assumed* that I needed LoS to the target point on the field where I wanted them (so you couldn't cast them on the opposite side of a  Ht 3 building).....but you're right that there is nothing (that I can think of) that would forbid this.

I would think that this might be a case of *gaming* the rules (no offense to anyone).......looking at it logically.....if you can't see the point that you want this magical fire to spring from.....the anchor point if you will....then how could you do it? I just can't wrap my mind around the 'fluff' aspect of 'I'm building a wall, but I'm starting it 10' up in the air and building down.'

• Like 1

I'd argue the opposite. The action doesn't tell you to target a spot on the ground, it says "place the marker within LoS". That it happens to be a huge pillar of flame is immaterial. If that marker is put on the opposite side of a height 4 wall, it can still be within LoS and the abilities requirements have been met.

A question is, are the markers ht 5 at the point of placing or do you place them as if they where ht 0 then they increase to ht 5

I think it can only be the first and so as long as any part of the marker in LOS then you can place it

Im willing to believe this is maybe not intended though :)

If you can't see the point in the first place, then how can you place the markers? If you cannot place them, then how can they become ht 5?

I would argue you need to see the ground.

That was my argument as well. But I think it was countered with them always being ht5 thus they could be placed anywhere as long as the ht5 is in LoS.

That's a really good question. I have always played it that "within range and LOS" meant LOS to the ground. But when I have been eg. playing summoners, who must summon models "within range and LOS" I have always played it that the model must be in LOS after being placed. Not sure which is right, now.

That's a really good question. I have always played it that "within range and LOS" meant LOS to the ground. But when I have been eg. playing summoners, who must summon models "within range and LOS" I have always played it that the model must be in LOS after being placed. Not sure which is right, now.

Hmm. That does raise a few questions. I have played it that the model after summoning must be in LOS also.

This doesn't really come up with summoning, because Molly is the only one who summons within range and LoS and she can only summon Ht 2 and Ht 1 models.

Hm? I'm pretty sure, every summoner summons within range and LoS....

To be precise, the summoning rules specify that the summoned model must be placed in LoS of the summoner and within range (most often of the action).

Hm? I'm pretty sure, every summoner summons within range and LoS....

To be precise, the summoning rules specify that the summoned model must be placed in LoS of the summoner and within range (most often of the action).

What I meant is that most summoners summon to base contact with target marker or model, which means they need to be able to see the Ht 0 marker. I do admit I hadn't noticed that LoS was stated as requirement in summoning rules themselves. That means that Dreamer and Ramos need LoS too...

Luckily no one has yet come up with any good reason why LoS would work differently when placing a model or marker. ("I have always played it like that" is far from good.)

I don't think there is a particularly good reason within the rules - the difference, if there is any, is not described at all.

Beyond the scope of the rules, it seems very cheesy to be able to summon flame pillars on the other side of a building just because that building is only Ht 4. Ht 5 is taller than all models and almost all terrain, which makes the LoS requirement almost pointless.

• Like 1