Nicodem and McMourning did it!

zFiend

Actually they overdid it. 

In the fluff they were trying to get the Autopsies to shoot, which they yet hadn't been able to do, was it on book one or two. I am still somewhere around the third book, so maybe I have something missing, but it seems they actually finally managed to get them to shoot, even better than in life.

Guild Guard Sh 4.

Guild Autopsy Sh 5. 

Great work Doc!

• Like 1

It's the no pulse and the lack of any emotion.  It really steadies the aim. :D

This could actually be a pretty good fluff explanation. If McMourning got their trigger pullin' tendons to work close to how well that they did in life (not necessarily better) then the single-mindedness of an autopsy could seriously work to its advantage. For instance, after the first world war a large number of veterans said they intentionally shot above the heads of the opposing force. I get the impression that guild guards aren't too well trained a part from boot camp so this could well be an issue.

(sorry if the quote isn't completely accurate, either I can't figure it out or the site won't let me quote using the 'quote' button.

Still, comping with the "undead are steady shooters"-theory. Why don't companies use this more? Why are all the undead everywhere crappy shooters (with the Tomb Kings as an exception), when it would take little to make them better. SIgh.

Resurrectionists for the win.

Perhaps because the very thought of a zombie with a gun is terrifying enough as it is, worse if you make them capable of feats of marksmanship.

I generally though have taken it as the reason undead generally have not been good shots is the lack of mental powers.  Unless they have some level of higher thought I would see leading shots or taking into account any sort of range adjustments as being an issue.  Also generally when dealing with the undead most settings take them as incapable of learning, so even if they keep using firearms the would not learn from experience and develop further.  If you grant the undead the ability to use firearms, have either higher thought, instincts from former life, or the ability to learn from experience then suddenly the undead become a much scarier element as you are taking what traditionally is considered some of their weaknesses.

I remember playing a PS2 game called Siren that had zombies armed with guns (and not just pistols, but rifles as well).  The things were almost overpowered to the point of wtf, because they couldn't be perma-killed; if you dropped one, it would just stand up a minute or two later and get back to the part where they were shooting you.  Man, that game was hard.

So yeah, zombies with guns.  Scary. 

Well said, Kadeton. :)

Still, comping with the "undead are steady shooters"-theory. Why don't companies use this more? Why are all the undead everywhere crappy shooters (with the Tomb Kings as an exception), when it would take little to make them better. SIgh.

Resurrectionists for the win.

Actually given the Tomb King stat lines they actually are terrible shooters, they benefit from a special rule which states their arrows are blessed by the Asp goddess and so tend to find their targets regardless of their ability to shoot straight or on target being on par with Stormtroopers!  :D

On topic though, I always thought it was odd that the Autopsies were better with their guns than the Guardsmen. If memory serves don't the Autopsy guns also have a slight range advantage over Guards as well? I remember the Guild Guard only had a 10" range whereas the Autopsies were 12". Could be wrong, I don't use Guards all that often.