July FAQ/errata

Justin

Question

RE: Ophelia, my experience has been once you settle out things like; how her rules actual work, the obvious errata fixes to her rules, wrangle out M2e terrain rules/amount and just see her on the table a bit, she is just another Master.

However, until the above gets sorted, I can see how players would be frustrated by her, just as they are by Perdita and other shoot-tastic Masters.....

The above is a reason I am a fan of cautious, yet continuous monitoring of all models and what "they can do," because it takes a long time to sort out what models can be capable of. I always use the example of the Blood Bowl and the BBRC. that process gave us a very, very balanced yet multi-style game to play... It just took years to get there!

Downside being that her damage spread is pretty much her entire identity in mk2.

Well, her identity is the whole gun swap thing, and they are interesting and neat actions, but they are just simply eclipsed by how absurdly damaging her normal guns are. I mean, have you ever tried voluntarily not using the trigger constantly or just forcing you to use the special guns to see how that pans out? I man, I know it can be hard to try percieved suboptimal actions when there is a clear winner. For example, Jakob's gun is pretty nice, but nobody ever bothered actually using it because the Woke up with a Hand upgrade gave you such a powerful action that it became invisible.

• Like 4

RE: Ophelia, my experience has been once you settle out things like; how her rules actual work, the obvious errata fixes to her rules, wrangle out M2e terrain rules/amount and just see her on the table a bit, she is just another Master.

There is, however, supposed to be a point to having a 32" range. We have been packing our tables so full of stuff that it simply doesn't matter whether you have a 12" ranger or 32" range.

So I just downloaded it. No mention of Obedient wretch yet. Is there a new document coming?

Very, very last thing in document.

Re Sonnia: To my recollection, that question was fairly well answered by the general timing rules. But if somebody spelled out the question again, I could look at it. Pretty sure it was, but we'll see.

And as for the numerous suggestions on what to errata: I appreciate the feedback. But this errata does not herald the start of another open beta. You can expect errata about as frequently as it has been coming out. And it's been about a year between cards that have seen an errata. Now, if a huge, immediate problem crops up, sure, I'll rethink this. But the game is not about to start fluctuating like the beta has started again.

• Like 4

Very, very last thing in document.

Re Sonnia: To my recollection, that question was fairly well answered by the general timing rules. But if somebody spelled out the question again, I could look at it. Pretty sure it was, but we'll see.

And as for the numerous suggestions on what to errata: I appreciate the feedback. But this errata does not herald the start of another open beta. You can expect errata about as frequently as it has been coming out. And it's been about a year between cards that have seen an errata. Now, if a huge, immediate problem crops up, sure, I'll rethink this. But the game is not about to start fluctuating like the beta has started again.

General confusion I believe is when does burning take place on an attack/damage. Since Sonnia's reincarnation takes place when a model is reduced to 0 wounds and most burning abilities say the model gains the condition after you damage I know a few people believe if you attack/kill a model with an attack that causes burning you don't get to reincarnate the stalker since they are reduced to 0 wounds before they get the burning condition.

Though seen a few people argue that you apply both the damage and burning at the same time.

Some threads on it:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101928-reincarnation/?hl=sonnia

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100158-witchling-stalkers-burning-damage-and-general-questions-on-damage-effects/?hl=sonnia

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/98990-sonnias-violation-of-magic/?hl=%2Bviolation+%2Bmagic

Cheers

Sonnia's ability takes place when a model is reduced to 0 wounds, not removed from the board. If damage happens first no stalker. If it takes damage and is reduced to 0 before you apply burning no stalker

Quoted from Facebook. Apparently this is the way it's been ruled for tourney play.

<Edit> There, anyhow.

General confusion I believe is when does burning take place on an attack/damage. Since Sonnia's reincarnation takes place when a model is reduced to 0 wounds and most burning abilities say the model gains the condition after you damage I know a few people believe if you attack/kill a model with an attack that causes burning you don't get to reincarnate the stalker since they are reduced to 0 wounds before they get the burning condition.

Though seen a few people argue that you apply both the damage and burning at the same time.

Some threads on it:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/101928-reincarnation/?hl=sonnia

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100158-witchling-stalkers-burning-damage-and-general-questions-on-damage-effects/?hl=sonnia

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/98990-sonnias-violation-of-magic/?hl=%2Bviolation+%2Bmagic

Cheers

Yes, core rulebook pg. 32, After damaging triggers: "These effects are resolved before the damaged model is removed if it was killed by the damage."

So sonnia hits a model and reduces it to 0 Wounds, triggers consuming flame which applies before the model is removed, and uses reincarnation which also happens after the model is reduced to 0 Wounds and before it is removed.

• Like 6

Quoted from Facebook. Apparently this is the way it's been ruled for tourney play.

<Edit> There

As I understand it, Sonnia's burning is all after damaging, whereas the burning from stalkers happens at the same time as damage, so if a stalker kills a model, you can get anew stalker from it. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

Allowing a model with the new Decaying Aura upgrade to stop wound prevention at ranged doesn't sound like a good change to me. I understand the change ended multiple models ganging up on a soul stone user within the aura but at least the model with the upgrade had to put itself at risk by being within 4 inches of the target. Now you can throw this thing on some mercs with long ranged attacks and shoot down a master/henchmen. It's also pretty good on a couple of resser masters that have nice ranged options. It appears stronger now than before. Looking forward to testing it out. 

• Like 2

As I understand it, Sonnia's burning is all after damaging, whereas the burning from stalkers happens at the same time as damage, so if a stalker kills a model, you can get anew stalker from it. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

Justin just posted this answer!! You get a Stalker whether it's Sonnia or a Stalker.

• Like 1

Allowing a model with the new Decaying Aura upgrade to stop wound prevention at ranged doesn't sound like a good change to me. I understand the change ended multiple models ganging up on a soul stone user within the aura but at least the model with the upgrade had to put itself at risk by being within 4 inches of the target. Now you can throw this thing on some mercs with long ranged attacks and shoot down a master/henchmen. It's also pretty good on a couple of resser masters that have nice ranged options. It appears stronger now than before. Looking forward to testing it out. 

Good catch. Though I'm not sure what ranged Ressur master would be able to have the ranged threat to put it OTT. McMourning?

I think he was perhaps referring to Seamus. I don't really ever bother to attack masters with Seamus, as a very general rule, mainly because even if they can't use SS for prevention, they can still spend one for defense, which will force him on a negative flip for dmg, even if he hits. If I focused for the attack and hit in such a situation, the likelihood is I'm only doing 4 dmg, for 2 AP which means it was like a model with attack 6 and a min dmg 2 attacked and hit twice, which really isn't all that much of a concern for most masters.

Could be an issue, might not. No worse in my opinion than Lady Ligea, but we will have to see how it comes out.

• Like 1

Justin just posted this answer!! You get a Stalker whether it's Sonnia or a Stalker.

I was typing it out as Justin posted, evidently. But that is a great, and terrible answer(in the form of "the great and Terrible OZ Sonnia") that makes me giddy with the expectation of little stalkers running all through the tables of my enemies.

Thanks, Justin!

I was typing it out as Justin posted, evidently. But that is a great, and terrible answer(in the form of "the great and Terrible OZ Sonnia") that makes me giddy with the expectation of little stalkers running all through the tables of my enemies.

Thanks, Justin!

I've been doing it all along. Sonnia is a great master, but not unbeatable or OP by any stretch.

• Like 1

Tara can take it without a merc tax. I'm actually considering it from the perspective of both Sonnia and Ramos. The issue is really that it doesn't do anything that most masters can't already do better with more durable models and no merc tax any more.

Honestly, I don't even really know if spider spam is the best use in a Ramos list, just the first thing that comes to mind. But then I've gone on record saying I never thought it was overpowered, just over-represented due to being easy to see the use of.

Still good for Sonnia.

• Like 1

here i thought that was answered by the red joker being its own flip.

relevant wordings

from blast marker placement it seems that with out this wording a red joker would deal severe. :The Blast is placed, and then all models suffer damage as noted above. As well,the Red Joker's damage is stepped down to Moderate (not Severe) damage.:

then their is that sweet damage chart that has it in its own category. which i cant copy and paste for some reason

then we have the actual wording. :The Red Joker always deals an amount of damage equal to the Severe plus the Weak damage. Damage that is staged down (such as extra models hit by blast damage) becomes Moderate

so again no it is not effected by nix's ability. it uses the severe and weak profile to give you the damaged suffered. for instance if the Desolation engine flipped the red on damage flip the target would suffer 9 damage. not 6 and then 3 but 9.  and would also heal 9 (according to the newly renditioned  faq)

Good catch indeed. Never even considered ranged into the equation but an expunge that can't be prevented in a 10" range is pure murder right there. Seamus can also get some good use with focus and shooting without having to be close, though his low cadence of fire keeps it more honest. Outside of that... our ranged options are crap, so less worried there. Merc wise, Hans is the big fat red flag. Don't know if there is another ranged focus merc to look out for.